• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I just moved on with my life and remembered that doing the exercise is about stress relief, not added stress

Idk I get kinda grumpy when I accidentally leave my Fitbit on the charger when doing something. If I don’t get stats what was the point?

BTW, is anyone else riding Zwift? I've really relied on it through the winters and am racing on a team this winter. WAY more fun than I thought it would be.
I tried for 2 years and hated every minute of it. Even when I did group rides with friends on Discord. I also hate treadmills.

I've been training for the Craft Half that was scheduled for tomorrow. Due to high winds, it has been cancelled.

Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this? What did you do to maintain race shape? I really don't want to keep up my current level of training.

Cancelled due to high winds? That is disappointing to say the least. Don’t have any advice for your question but consider me irritated on your behalf.

I’m in the process now of training to train for a (first) marathon in November. Other than base mileage I’m getting used to waking up early and running in the dark, as that timing will get real important when it’s a thousand degrees during peak training in aug/sept.

Cherry Blossom tomorrow

It’ll be post peak this year, and it’s a little pricey for a ten miler when you have to pay more for the technical shirt upgrade or a finisher medal, but the course is pretty phenomenal

I’m in terrible shape so won’t be going for any kind of time this year, just want to enjoy it

Jealous of your Cherry Blossom. I didn't make the lottery this year, so Craft Half is my spring race in its place. Good luck and have a great race!

Cherry Blossom medals are fantastic and IIRC, the money goes to charity.

High winds sounds like a weak reason, but there are 45mph gusts. Years ago, I ran the Cherry Blossom in strong winds. They held the race, but didn't set up any tents except for medical and told you after the race to leave as there were no post-race celebrations. Also, all of the blossoms had blown off.

I guess I'll be maintaining my training diet and some sort of lighter race prep with weekend longs of 10-12mi. Sucks, but I don't know what else to do.

Had a nice race yesterday, fairly sore today as I definitely undertrained for this one. Windy, and a headwind the last two miles, but happy with my time all things considered.

So cool cresting the final hill to see the Washington Monument.

Had a nice race yesterday, fairly sore today as I definitely undertrained for this one. Windy, and a headwind the last two miles, but happy with my time all things considered.
What do you do recover, because I went for a run on Friday for the first time in a little while, and my calves are still killing me today.

What do you do recover, because I went for a run on Friday for the first time in a little while, and my calves are still killing me today.
Go for a run. Make it short and slow.

I did 10 yesterday. My legs were tired and crampy today. Did 2mi at a sub 10min/mi pace and feel pretty good now.

The Bridge run was fun as always but super, super windy. And crowded. We got to the start late and ended up starting in a back corral and had to dodge a million walkers from the start - that and the wind made it impossible to try for any kind of good time... The corral probably didn't even matter - tons of people sign up to run and get an early corral but then walk the whole thing - in a crowded race that is really annoying! You have to get one of the front time-qualified corrals if you want to run a good race...

Peloton Original Bike Recall

REASON FOR RECALL: The original Peloton Bike seat post can break unexpectedly during use, creating a potential fall and injury risk. Peloton has identified 35 reports (as of April 30, 2023) of seat posts breaking out of 2,160,000 units sold in the US. There have been 13 reports of injuries, including a wrist fracture, lacerations and bruises.

Peloton is offering a free replacement seat post to Members in the US that can be installed at home without the need for a service call. Only one seat post replacement will be offered per Bike.

To obtain your free, replacement seat post, please visit this page. For instructions on how to install your replacement seat post you can watch this video or follow these PDF instructions.

Peloton Original Bike Recall

REASON FOR RECALL: The original Peloton Bike seat post can break unexpectedly during use, creating a potential fall and injury risk. Peloton has identified 35 reports (as of April 30, 2023) of seat posts breaking out of 2,160,000 units sold in the US. There have been 13 reports of injuries, including a wrist fracture, lacerations and bruises.

Peloton is offering a free replacement seat post to Members in the US that can be installed at home without the need for a service call. Only one seat post replacement will be offered per Bike.

To obtain your free, replacement seat post, please visit this page. For instructions on how to install your replacement seat post you can watch this video or follow these PDF instructions.
#moonzridesseatlessbike

It has been raining a lot in Denver this month, so not much time on the bike yet as trails are muddy. Just trying to get in 3 runs per week right now, really focusing on slowing down and building endurance/aerobic capacity. Found the groove recently and went almost 6 miles on a whim; at the 3.5m mark that day, I felt great so decided to keep going!

I'm finding that at my age (39) any more than 3 runs per weeks starts to make me feel beat up - I'm a big boy (203.7 this morning) so managing impact is really important to me as I'm trying to get weight off. I try to use the rower or mountain bike the other days of the week to supplement/compliment running. This week the weather looks good so hoping to get in some biking!

How's everyone else doing with running/riding as we start to get into summer?

Also, anyone have recs on a lightweight / minimalist hydration vest or pack for running. My longer runs are starting to push past the 5 mile mark and I'm thinking that's probably about the time to start thinking about a little hydration or nutrition while I'm running (especially as I'm trying to slowly add mileage).

Similar schedule to you, three weekday runs and two rowing sessions with a longer weekend run.

So I haven’t touched the bike yet…although I intend to do a dry tri race later this year (river kayak, mountain bike, trail run) so at a minimum I’ll pump up the tires for that.

Similarly I’ve been advised that running with a camelback is a bad idea (why?) so I’ll need something to carry once I get past 10 miles

Similarly I’ve been advised that running with a camelback is a bad idea (why?) so I’ll need something to carry once I get past 10 miles
Shouldn't be a problem if it doesn't mess up your stride.

You can also get hand-held bike bottles.

Similar schedule to you, three weekday runs and two rowing sessions with a longer weekend run.

So I haven’t touched the bike yet…although I intend to do a dry tri race later this year (river kayak, mountain bike, trail run) so at a minimum I’ll pump up the tires for that.
Man, that sounds like a fun combo - good luck!

Man, that sounds like a fun combo - good luck!

Yeah last year it conflicted with a 10k I wanted to do/I chickened out because I wouldn’t have been in good enough shape. Also I think it’s early September - you could start that at 5am and it’d still be too hot.

I was finally able to get out again on the bike for one of my normal routes(8.4 miles, 1,047' gain, the majority of that gain in 1.5 miles), made the ride without any breaks and I credit the running with helping me out in that regard. The trail was a bit muddy on the descent which messed with the flow and slowed me down. Legs were a little tired, but that's probably due to running yesterday. Anyway, hope everyone is out there getting after it on the trail/track/road!

Back