• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

:wtf: My right foot is now supinating and my left foot is essentially perfect. Cut me some slack running gods. I should just bite the bullet and go get someone to check out my feet. I don't trust a non-runner podiatrist to give me good advice, though.

For those of you that have had your biomechanics checked, how did you go about doing it?

:wtf: My right foot is now supinating and my left foot is essentially perfect. Cut me some slack running gods. I should just bite the bullet and go get someone to check out my feet. I don't trust a non-runner podiatrist to give me good advice, though.

For those of you that have had your biomechanics checked, how did you go about doing it?

Dr. Scholl's foot scanner at Wal-Mart. ;)

On a serious note, isn't RTQ's 50 miler today?

I'll write up more later about the 50 miler, but I did indeed complete it! My IT band flared up something wicked around mile 30 and I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Like knives being jammed into my left knee. Got to mile 34 station with 1 minute to spare before a cutoff point where I'd be removed from the race. So close. Almost threw in the towel but got ibuprofen, cookies and Coca cola instead and forged on. I've never eaten so much during a race. Cried when I saw the finish line. 11 hours 33 minutes by my watch. Huge blister on my left foot and a purple toenail on my right (probably from stubbing my toe and tripping over a rock on the Appalachian Trail section). Not sure I'll be able to get out of bed this morning...

Congratulations- I'm sure you hurt like crazy right now, but that's pretty cool. Way to push through!

I'll write up more later about the 50 miler, but I did indeed complete it! My IT band flared up something wicked around mile 30 and I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Like knives being jammed into my left knee. Got to mile 34 station with 1 minute to spare before a cutoff point where I'd be removed from the race. So close. Almost threw in the towel but got ibuprofen, cookies and Coca cola instead and forged on. I've never eaten so much during a race. Cried when I saw the finish line. 11 hours 33 minutes by my watch. Huge blister on my left foot and a purple toenail on my right (probably from stubbing my toe and tripping over a rock on the Appalachian Trail section). Not sure I'll be able to get out of bed this morning...

Look at the HUGE ovaries on this chick.

I'll be in Winston for a few nights over Thanksgiving and need to get in 14 miles. I did 12 through Buena Vista, Reynolda, etc this past weekend while I was in town but I was thinking about heading out to Salem Lake for a change of scenery. Are the trails always open? What does the full loop typically measure as on GPS?

I'll be in Winston for a few nights over Thanksgiving and need to get in 14 miles. I did 12 through Buena Vista, Reynolda, etc this past weekend while I was in town but I was thinking about heading out to Salem Lake for a change of scenery. Are the trails always open? What does the full loop typically measure as on GPS?

I always get like 6.9 or so on a full loop. Park is technically closed on Thanksgiving Day http://www.cityofws.org/departments/recreation-parks/salem-lake/fee-operating-schedule

Thanks. I'd be heading out Friday morning most likely. Closed or not, is it possible to "walk in" to access the trail? I had heard there was a parking lot outside of the gate for those that arrive before 9 AM.

Yes easy walk to the trail from the outer parking lot.

Is anybody here into Spartan Races or other obstacle courses? I just completed my first trifecta (my 2013 New Years resolution), and didn't even know there was a running thread on OGB.... (disclaimer, I'm about as slow as they come, but my first goal was to complete the trifecta - not for time, just to finish; in 2014 I'll set time goals that should be achievable). Would love to have some folks to train with either in the W-S or Kernersville areas!

Is anybody here into Spartan Races or other obstacle courses? I just completed my first trifecta (my 2013 New Years resolution), and didn't even know there was a running thread on OGB.... (disclaimer, I'm about as slow as they come, but my first goal was to complete the trifecta - not for time, just to finish; in 2014 I'll set time goals that should be achievable). Would love to have some folks to train with either in the W-S or Kernersville areas!

I would say go back and re-read this thread, but it's so long now... however, I will give this disclaimer for the running thread:
If you were to go back and read from the beginning, you'd realize most of the big contributors started from practically ZERO miles and are at where they are now. RTQ, DF07, hawk, io, me, brasky, others. Don't get turned off by whatever conversation people are having about running 10+ miles and think you'll never get there; realize that on page 103 (made that up) of this thread one of us was celebrating running 3 miles consecutively for the first time ever. If you're committed to doing it, you'll be amazed at where you can go.

Not to be that guy but my math is showing that at like almost 14 minutes per mile, isn't that just brisk walking pace? What's the point of trying that?

you go do that for 50 miles, come back and tell us about it.

dick.

I would say go back and re-read this thread, but it's so long now... however, I will give this disclaimer for the running thread:
If you were to go back and read from the beginning, you'd realize most of the big contributors started from practically ZERO miles and are at where they are now. RTQ, DF07, hawk, io, me, brasky, others. Don't get turned off by whatever conversation people are having about running 10+ miles and think you'll never get there; realize that on page 103 (made that up) of this thread one of us was celebrating running 3 miles consecutively for the first time ever. If you're committed to doing it, you'll be amazed at where you can go.

Thanks! I never thought I'd get through my 3 Spartan Races - each time, I thought I couldn't make it. 4.5mi in GA, 8mi in IL, and 13 in SC... I def. understand the sentiment! I'll have to do some text searching - I read the first about 30 and then realized how long it was, and decided to read the last 15 pages instead. ha! Here's to a great 2014 :)

After searching this thread, it appears nobody has posted about Spartan Races since 2012. So... anybody want to join me for Spartan Races, let me know! I've got a few folks I run with... well, "hike" with.. my goal is to actually be able to run some of them this year.

Last edited:
Thanks! I never thought I'd get through my 3 Spartan Races - each time, I thought I couldn't make it. 4.5mi in GA, 8mi in IL, and 13 in SC... I def. understand the sentiment! I'll have to do some text searching - I read the first about 30 and then realized how long it was, and decided to read the last 15 pages instead. ha! Here's to a great 2014 :)

cheers to that!

Back