• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Are you commonly sore 2 days after a long run? I know you like to push it on your runs but if that is a constant then you may be going too hard, IMO.

Are you commonly sore 2 days after a long run? I know you like to push it on your runs but if that is a constant then you may be going too hard, IMO.

CRAZY TALK.

Yeah WUT? You're not still sore when running less than 48 hours after a 14 mile run? Impressive.

no, i was being facetious and agree w/ deachawk.
I am not still sore at this point after a 14 mile run.

Happy New Year fellow Pit runners and competitive exercisers. Hope your 2015 is filled with lots of miles and some PR's in there too.

Ordered some Skechers Go Run 4's after so many positive reviews of that line of shoes. Ran in them yesterday and just wow, awesome shoe. I've been all in on the Kinvara line since its inception but these give it a run for their money.

Went out for 3 today that ended up being a little more than 4. Hungover as hell, probably a little drunk, but just felt great.

Decided to take a week off from lifting due to a little tendinitis (I hope) in my right deltoid. So, I'm on my 6th straight day of running. I didn't think I would've been able to run that much, but I am... and I'm even running pretty quickly (for me).

I think 10 days will be my limit, since I'll need to go back to weights then and I really don't have the time for two activities a day.

Ordered some Skechers Go Run 4's after so many positive reviews of that line of shoes. Ran in them yesterday and just wow, awesome shoe. I've been all in on the Kinvara line since its inception but these give it a run for their money.

Are they pretty flat shoes, or is there any support? I'd heard good things, but I'm afraid to move away from the mild support in my Ravennas.

Decided to take a week off from lifting due to a little tendinitis (I hope) in my right deltoid. So, I'm on my 6th straight day of running. I didn't think I would've been able to run that much, but I am... and I'm even running pretty quickly (for me).

I think 10 days will be my limit, since I'll need to go back to weights then and I really don't have the time for two activities a day.

Are they pretty flat shoes, or is there any support? I'd heard good things, but I'm afraid to move away from the mild support in my Ravennas.

Probably want to throw a zero day in there somewhere.

they are 4 mm drop but come with insoles if you want more support/cushioning. I go without the insoles for a more minimalist feel but the option is there at least

Knocked out my longest, fastest run ever, which means it's all downhill for me from here.

Question concerning shoes:

Does anyone have any experience with Altra shoes?

I am transitioning to lower drop shoes, currently run in the NB 890, which are an 8.1 drop. I have been running in those since June and currently have two pairs. One pair has less than 100 miles left, so sometime in the next month I am going to buy new shoes. I'm thinking about going into Altra One 2.

I am transitioning to lower drop shoes, currently run in the NB 890, which are an 8.1 drop. I have been running in those since June and currently have two pairs. One pair has less than 100 miles left, so sometime in the next month I am going to buy new shoes. I'm thinking about going into Altra One 2.

haven't run in them myself but here's a review from people I trust

http://www.believeintherun.com/index.php/2014/04/17/altra-one2-review/

Yes - I've had them and they're fine. I miiiiight suggest doing another step in there to a 3-4mm drop shoe before going to a total zero, but if you feel like your form supports it, go for it.

also, cheers to all and happy new year - rang things in this morning with a beautifully sunny 10k(ish ... it was more like 6.5) and am looking forward to many, many miles this year!

YO LEEBUS (and others), with my new job, I have tons of convenient pool access, and one of my coworkers (also a training buddy) is into triathlons. So, I plan to work in some cycling and swimming (along with weight training) this spring trying to build up a solid cross training base before I start training for the Dopey Challenge in the fall. Do you have any resources or recommendations as far as developing a weekly schedule to avoid injury? I have found that I am much more successful in accomplishing goals by sticking to an established plan I can trust. FWIW, I have never received any real swim instruction, so my first steps there will be working to actually learn how to swim for efficient exercise. I don't think I will compete in anything but running until 2016. Just looking to lay down a good foundation in 2015.

YO LEEBUS (and others), with my new job, I have tons of convenient pool access, and one of my coworkers (also a training buddy) is into triathlons. So, I plan to work in some cycling and swimming (along with weight training) this spring trying to build up a solid cross training base before I start training for the Dopey Challenge in the fall. Do you have any resources or recommendations as far as developing a weekly schedule to avoid injury? I have found that I am much more successful in accomplishing goals by sticking to an established plan I can trust. FWIW, I have never received any real swim instruction, so my first steps there will be working to actually learn how to swim for efficient exercise. I don't think I will compete in anything but running until 2016. Just looking to lay down a good foundation in 2015.

some good free resources and helpful folks here

some good free resources and helpful folks here

In a weak moment a couple of months ago I signed up for the Raleigh Half-Iron (70.3) next May 31... I am in panic mode about the swim but have made a lot of progress over the past 6 weeks (FYI - I have never done a race requiring a swim of more than 300 yards). I also had an injury and couldn't run at all in Oct.-Nov. so am just starting to work back up. I have also never been one to ride my bike in the winter so that is going to take some getting used to - and some new gear. All in all, it should be interesting.

On a related note, I am planning to use the 20 week beginner triathlon plan for a half-iron on the site that cna posted. The plan officially starts 1/12. I think their expectations for beginning the plan are pretty aggressive - but we shall see. Wish me luck!

Back