• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

:rofl: Anyone watching the coverage? The white dude in the lead is on 2:07 pace and has gapped the field by about 20 seconds. He is going to crash so hard.

really? it's already 73 degrees and other than the elites, nobody has even started yet. that sounds completely awful to me.

If you can qualify for Boston and can't figure out how to deal with 75-85 degree weather, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, it's going to be harder than normal, but if you are smart about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm with TW. Sure, it's harder to run, but it's an outdoor sport. Knowing how to deal with different conditions is part of it.

If you can qualify for Boston and can't figure out how to deal with 75-85 degree weather, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, it's going to be harder than normal, but if you are smart about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

i guess i just really, really disagree. had i not gotten hurt last fall, i would have likely qualified for boston, and i still think anything over 75 is pretty miserable (boston qualifying isn't exactly like olympic trial qualifying. it may not be easy, but reasonably fit recreational runners can still qualify). especially because this is a spring marathon, so people have been training in the winter, rather than getting their bodies adjusted to the summer heat.

i'm not saying that i think tons of people are going to die. but i definitely think it's dangerous and expect even fit runners to struggle a lot.

My dad did Ironman Canada when I was a kid. He ended up in the medical tent from hyponatremia, but that day the course temperatures were in the 85-95 range.

i guess i just really, really disagree. had i not gotten hurt last fall, i would have likely qualified for boston, and i still think anything over 75 is pretty miserable (boston qualifying isn't exactly like olympic trial qualifying. it may not be easy, but reasonably fit recreational runners can still qualify). especially because this is a spring marathon, so people have been training in the winter, rather than getting their bodies adjusted to the summer heat.

i'm not saying that i think tons of people are going to die. but i definitely think it's dangerous and expect even fit runners to struggle a lot.

Yes, it is miserable, but nothing that can't be mitigated by slowing down, not being a hero and drinking lots of fluids.

:rofl: Anyone watching the coverage? The white dude in the lead is on 2:07 pace and has gapped the field by about 20 seconds. He is going to crash so hard.

Where are you watching? I couldn't find anything on TV, so I'm stuck with the website for now.

Shit, Ben True outkicked Chelanga in the 5k. I'm pretty sure True won last year, but Chelanga is ridiculous.

I'm going to have to agree with Hoops. This totally sucks for the people who trained hard and are in PR shape. Sure they can slow down. Heck, they can cruise a nice 10 min/pace and wave. I'm sure that is exactly why they got up at 4am regardless of weather and did long tempo runs. I have no problem qualifying for Boston, but really warm weather is still pretty hard for me to handle and I train through it all summer long. I know everyone is different, but I can't help but think that a lot of people who believe the weather isn't a big deal have never run a marathon.

I'm going to have to agree with Hoops. This totally sucks for the people who trained hard and are in PR shape. Sure they can slow down. Heck, they can cruise a nice 10 min/pace and wave. I'm sure that is exactly why they got up at 4am regardless of weather and did long tempo runs. I have no problem qualifying for Boston, but really warm weather is still pretty hard for me to handle and I train through it all summer long. I know everyone is different, but I can't help but think that a lot of people who believe the weather isn't a big deal have never run a marathon.

Sure, you trained hard and are in PR shape, but you would be stupid to try to PR in this weather. Boston rolled the dice and lost the weather bet. Defer until next year, or suck it up and slow down and keep up your training into a end of the summer/early fall marathon. I don't see the problem.

Sure, you trained hard and are in PR shape, but you would be stupid to try to PR in this weather. Boston rolled the dice and lost the weather bet. Defer until next year, or suck it up and slow down and keep up your training into a end of the summer/early fall marathon. I don't see the problem.

tw, i really don't mean this in a condescending way (i know it's going to sound like that, but i HONESTLY don't mean it that way), but have you ever run a marathon?

Back