• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

i'm tracking 15 people today. but of those 15, there are only two that i really, REALLY am upset for. both had really great training. both had such high hopes. and both of them are now tracking at times that won't reach their goals. that sucks :(

this is just heartbreaking to watch. most friends have slowed by a minute/mile or more. a friend who had hoped for an 8 minute PR now might not even get a PR at all. a female friend who bonked last year in chicago but still finished in 3:3x is now tracking well over 4:00. mutai (last year's winner) has dropped out. last year's female winner is walking. such incredibly rotten luck.

well boo. I just was able to turn on the video, thought I was going to be able to see the winners cross. obviously far too late for that.

I understand about being disappointed in the weather, but you have to be able to recognize that on this particular day, the weather will hinder your ability to run well. Also, if you're looking for a PR, is Boston really the course to do it? I have a friend (CRC member as well) who qualified and this is his first Boston Marathon, and he basically acknowledged that the weather was going to be awful and that he was going to bring a camera and just enjoy himself. If you have no realistic chance of winning the race itself, what's the big deal about not being able to PR specifically at Boston? Imo there's no point in setting yourself up to get hurt or worse on a day as hot as today.

I understand about being disappointed in the weather, but you have to be able to recognize that on this particular day, the weather will hinder your ability to run well. Also, if you're looking for a PR, is Boston really the course to do it? I have a friend (CRC member as well) who qualified and this is his first Boston Marathon, and he basically acknowledged that the weather was going to be awful and that he was going to bring a camera and just enjoy himself. If you have no realistic chance of winning the race itself, what's the big deal about not being able to PR specifically at Boston? Imo there's no point in setting yourself up to get hurt or worse on a day as hot as today.

except when the day is 30 degrees above average, yes, boston is a good PR course.

so far i've had 3 friends finish. one was 6 minutes over his goal, one was 8 minutes over hers, and one was 15 over his.

for most of the rest, the "projected finish" time is above 4 hours.

looking at the splits on the runner tracker is insane to see some of the drop off as it got later in the day. one friend was shooting for sub 3 in perfect conditions, reset it to 3:07 yesterday, and started out on about 3:20 pace meaning he likely adjusted this morning, finished 3:44. going to be interesting to hear his recap.

not Boston related but had my highest training week ever last week at 62 miles and now it's taper time.

i just kept looking at the splits they gave for each runner (rather than projected finish time) at each 5k. i had several friends drop from 7:xx to 12:xx pretty rapidly. i have one friend who hasn't yet finished, but is at 14:xx, so obviously she's just walking trying to finish it out. and a couple of them last had splits at the 30k, but nearly an hour ago. i don't know if they just somehow weren't recorded at the 35k (i had a few friends miss various splits along the way), or if they just dropped out at some point. can't say i blame them if they did drop out.

Some of the finishing times were rough! I'm really impressed with anyone who finished. It would have been really easy to drop out- or not even start. Fairly certain I wouldn't have started. While none of my friends PR'd (despite being in great shape to do so), two of them did hit their desired places (top 100 men, top 25 women), so that is certainly something they can be proud of.

My friend did a 3:58 to qualify and was in much better shape now than when she qualified. She had hoped to do 3:55 or better. Given the weather she adjusted her goal to 4:20-4:30 and actually came in at 4:14... I haven't talked to her about the experience yet but I think she did great under the circumstances... She got slower as the race progressed but not drastically so - her last two splits were actually just a bit faster than the previous two...

the portland marathon is Oct. 7. I think I may do it. That's just over 6 months to train. Thoughts?

I'm thinking about signing up for the obx marathon as my first in November. Anybody ever run in that race?

Didn't watch the Boston Marathon today because I was driving all over NC, but after doing pretty well in my Half on Saturday I gotta admit that there is something deep down that makes me wanna train for a full marathon and see if there is anyway I could break 4 hours. Is six months the normal time needed to make the jump?

Didn't watch the Boston Marathon today because I was driving all over NC, but after doing pretty well in my Half on Saturday I gotta admit that there is something deep down that makes me wanna train for a full marathon and see if there is anyway I could break 4 hours. Is six months the normal time needed to make the jump?

With your half time, I bet you could do it in 3-4 months if you were smart about it.

With your half time, I bet you could do it in 3-4 months if you were smart about it.

Cool. The only marathon I can find in NC in October (which would be ideal because of the conditions) is the Ridge to Bridge Marathon in Morganton. I think I've read you guys mention this one.

http://www.my-bmrc.org/#!r2b-marathon

Also its on the Saturday after the Thursday night Clemson game so although I'd have to take easy at the tailgate, I wouldn't miss a game next fall. Any thoughts?

Your half was much faster than my 1:48, and I finished my first marathon at 4:09 in some decent heat and running about a minute too fast per mile for 5ish miles in the middle of the race, at which point I was dead for the final 5. 4:00 should be easily attainable. Screw 4, go for 3:45...that's my goal for October. Now that I know what the distance is like and that I can finish, I have no doubt I can run it much faster.

Cool. The only marathon I can find in NC in October (which would be ideal because of the conditions) is the Ridge to Bridge Marathon in Morganton. I think I've read you guys mention this one.

http://www.my-bmrc.org/#!r2b-marathon

Also its on the Saturday after the Thursday night Clemson game so although I'd have to take easy at the tailgate, I wouldn't miss a game next fall. Any thoughts?

I'm running the Marine Corp (too late to sign up now unfortunately) and the Baltimore in October. If you are looking for a race and come up to Baltimore, I know the owner of the bar at the finish line and we're having a big fundraising party to help out a friend who's baby has EB.

Baltimore is 10/13, our football bye week. Marine Corp is 10/28, which is Clemson Thursday game. Hard to believe how perfectly the football schedule worked out for the races I wanted to run in the fall.

Back