• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

*The Official* Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Thread

So there's basically 1,001 beef stew recipes out there. I have never made it before, so I just decided to look on Pinterest and read a few (along with the comments), and pick one that sounded easy and good.

Here's what I bought the ingredients for:

Ingredients:

2 pounds stew beef
1 small bag baby carrots
3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
8-10 red potatoes, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 pouch au jus gravy mix
2 pouches brown gravy mix
1 pouch ranch dressing powder
3 cups water
Directions:

Toss everything in your crockpot in the morning. Stir until well mixed. Set slowcooker to low and walk away.

Serve 8-9 hours later with hot biscuits, rolls, and giant spoons.

Beef-Stew3-620x413.jpg

There's definitely a lot of packets/seasonings (thus I'm sure a large amount of sodium), but it seems to have good reviews. Anyone have any tweaks, suggestions, or other stew recipes that use the same basic ingredients (i.e. beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion)?

did this last night, and it's really, really good and super simple:

1-2 lb chicken breasts
1/2 jar of spagetti sauce (i used what i had left of an arrabiata sauce)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach.

cook on high 4-4.5 hours, until chicken is done. serve with parmesan cheese over pasta or alone.

Last edited:
Did you lightly sear/brown the breasts or just toss them in there raw?

Did you lightly sear/brown the breasts or just toss them in there raw?

Yesterday I actually threw them in frozen and they were fine, but if they're thawed I almost always brown first.

Yesterday I actually threw them in frozen and they were fine, but if they're thawed I almost always brown first.

Ahh, even better, mine are usually already frozen. Cool.

Living in such a warm climate I have no need for cold weather dinners. It makes me sad.

The beauty of crockpot cooking is you don't warm up the kitchen/house with the stove or oven, so it's perfect for warm climates too.

Yeah, but I get what cav is saying. Chili and stews and casserole style things don't have the same appeal in 80* weather.

Yeah, but I get what cav is saying. Chili and stews and casserole style things don't have the same appeal in 80* weather.

i find that my crockpot is mostly unused from late spring through early fall. the best crockpot meals are all cold weather meals, IMO (soups, stews, chilis). not that there aren't decent meals that can be made year-round. but i definitely use it a LOT more in the winter.

Calling on the pit for a recipe....I can not find it...slow cooker wings and finishing them on the grill??? Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks

Thanks, AWAR..,I thought that was the case, but then I had second thoughts because there are a lot of big grill fans, and I didn't want to give credit/take credit.

OSD, you out there and want to share that wing recipe?

Thanks

I am making the original poster's first recipe today. It smelled so good after 2 hours I didn't want to go to work.

OSD, you out there and want to share that wing recipe?

He's in the motherland right now, but I'll try to recount the recipe as best I can. I know he puts the wings in the crock pot overnight and uses Hooters Wing Sauce. I'm not sure if he adds other stuff to it or just the wing sauce. The next morning he throws them on the grill to crisp up the outside. Touch them as little as possible while cooking, because they'll fall off the bone.

He's in the motherland right now, but I'll try to recount the recipe as best I can. I know he puts the wings in the crock pot overnight and uses Hooters Wing Sauce. I'm not sure if he adds other stuff to it or just the wing sauce. The next morning he throws them on the grill to crisp up the outside. Touch them as little as possible while cooking, because they'll fall off the bone.

Isn't it a combination of Hooters Wing Sauce and Sweet Baby Ray's?

Thanks, man...but I that is what I remembered...I think there is something other than just hot sauce (and BTW, I remembered it being either Texas Pete or Franks). Also, where is OSD's motherland?

Back