• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official US Open* Thread

Storms predicted each afternoon. That could change the course to a degree and make the championship less that what we hope it will be. I am hoping for an exceedingly fast course.

If that happens then it'll need a double asterisk!

Watching Bubba's press conference--don't think he is a fan of #2's greens! "Unfriendly" is his term.

Listening further, I don't think he likes the course period.

stuck at work for awhile. Anyone want to recap r.e. Bubba?
I'm shocked that Mr Whiner would be whining. Really hate that dude.

Mickelson apparently flew in last night and has a session with Dave Stockton this AM. Could help, never know?
I am thinking of going, but just not sure which day. Can't really take off Th or Fri. May try Saturday. I bet I could snag a set of tickets from StubHub or something.

Watched Phil and Stockton this morning. Not pretty. Saw Phil miss 5 straight 5 footers from the same spot. He started using the claw on the back 9 at Memphis Sunday. It's obvious that he is torn between the claw on short putts or his regular stroke. Followed his practice round. Hit driver a lot and hit it fairly well. Chipping did not look good. Started working with putter off the green, as much as 10 yards away and uphill. Vibes were not good.

The restoration is absolutely great. They have got rid of rough and left sand areas with wire grass. It is beautiful. Hope the look shows up on tv as well as it does in person.

It's going to be difficult to hold greens unless approach shots are really struck well.

Speaking of the wire grass, Bubba said that where he grew up they called that "weeds". And the natural areas he said back home meant a course in bad condition.

Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

Just a head's up Maverick McNealy's dad is billionaire Sun Microsystems founder Scott McNealy who will be on his bag this week. So boo the shit out of him.

So psyched for this US Open. Got to play a tournament on #2 the past 3 years and am headed back in October - always great to watch a major on a course you know well. Especially one as awesome and challenging as Pinehurst.

Playing some of those par 3's at over 200 yards is going to be a lot more brutal than a few of the long par 4's in some cases. Rory and other sky-ball long iron hitters will have a huge advantage.

was down there today and saw a bunch of WF hats, good sign

as people said the course is in amazing shape and will eat some people up. I saw Bubba multiple times in the waste area and he seemed to be having a hard time with his footing there. Ernie Els was on today and if keeps it up like his chances. I liked sitting on the large bleachers at the 4/6 tee box. Got a lot of good lucks from that spot

Just a head's up Maverick McNealy's dad is billionaire Sun Microsystems founder Scott McNealy who will be on his bag this week. So boo the shit out of him.

Are we booing the dad or the kid? Do we not like him because he is successful or is there another reason?

I'm not sure Rory's short game is a great match for #2.

Def not...neither is that long left miss he gets going. If it rains he may have a chance, if not he'll struggle big time. I could see him letting a round really get away from him.

There are going to be a lot of great shots hit out of the "natural areas" or whatever they're calling them. If you're not stuck in an ice plant, you can pretty much just hit an extra club and plan on it spinning a little more than normal.

Can't believe Phil is switching to the claw for the week. It'll probably last one day. Just about as good and idea as trying to ram home every 3 footer.

I can't wait to see the shit show to the left of the 5th green. Someone is going to hit a brilliant 2nd shot onto that green with just a hair too much draw, watch it roll down the slope, have the ball roll up against some of the wire grass, and then proceed to make 8 as they play pin ball back and forth across the green.

Caturday - You're going to get your wish with the rain.

Back