• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official US Open* Thread

I can't wait to see the shit show to the left of the 5th green. Someone is going to hit a brilliant 2nd shot onto that green with just a hair too much draw, watch it roll down the slope, have the ball roll up against some of the wire grass, and then proceed to make 8 as they play pin ball back and forth across the green.

Caturday - You're going to get your wish with the rain.

Did you see GMac's video of the fake rough? Pretty funny.

Even with rain I don't have much faith in Rory's ability to avoid doing something monumentally stupid. He's hardwired to go after every flag. I give this conservative strategy 6 holes before he get bored and starts firing at flags. That's what makes Rory and Phil so much fun.

Was down there for the practice round on Monday. The greens are a bear and I have a feeling you're going to see lots of 3 putts as we saw tons of misread putts and putts being left short. As everyone else said it's also extremely hard to get balls to hold on the green.

Definitely think the more conservative golfers will have an advantage this weekend.

Apparently Phil came into town a week early (flew in a week ago Sunday) and spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of last week practicing on #2.

Wonder if any of the favorites have been working with experienced Pinehurst caddies or if anyone's switching. I had a putt on 12 that broke up the hill because of the grain and the east-west thing. If the caddie hadn't read it I never would have believed it. #1 has some similar lines.

Still not convinced it's going to play as difficult as the chatter suggests. I think someone's going to have a good week driving the ball and put up some nice scores.

Speaking of the wire grass, Bubba said that where he grew up they called that "weeds". And the natural areas he said back home meant a course in bad condition.

Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

There are a lot of people who's opinions I might respect if they bitched about the course. Bubba is not one of them

Wonder if any of the favorites have been working with experienced Pinehurst caddies or if anyone's switching. I had a putt on 12 that broke up the hill because of the grain and the east-west thing. If the caddie hadn't read it I never would have believed it. #1 has some similar lines.

Still not convinced it's going to play as difficult as the chatter suggests. I think someone's going to have a good week driving the ball and put up some nice scores.

Justin Rose has been picking the brain of one of the local caddies.

Any speculations about how many 4 putt greens and snow men or higher there will be this week?

How do you think that heavy rain will impact the course? I heard Phil say that he is hoping for rain.

The course drains very well, so I think it will still play firm and fast. The change I would expect is that players would have a harder time putting from the collection areas if the grass is wet.

If they put the pin front-right on #6 guys will putt it off the green if they're past the hole.

The course drains very well, so I think it will still play firm and fast. The change I would expect is that players would have a harder time putting from the collection areas if the grass is wet.

Thanks. It needs to be firm and fast.

I think Phil's point was that players would be forced to chip from those areas and thus it would favor his game.

Sun. Rain. Hot. Random assortment.

I can't wait for the "bunker or waste area" question to cause exactly zero legitimate issues. 95% of the bunkers are obvious, and every group gets their own rules official in case anyone is unsure. But feel free to mention Dustin Johnson for the 798th time, Golf Channel.

I can't wait for the "bunker or waste area" question to cause exactly zero legitimate issues. 95% of the bunkers are obvious, and every group gets their own rules official in case anyone is unsure. But feel free to mention Dustin Johnson for the 798th time, Golf Channel.

Has the GolfChannel mentioned that Phil has 6 runner ups?

The rules officials have been given discretion to make the call and told to be "firm and decisive."

Back