• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official US Open* Thread

Not sorry to see the last of Dan Hicks. Joe Buck cannot be worse or know less about golf.

Bubba runs away with the Masters and Kaymer runs away with the US Open.

Terrible year of majors so far. Basically zero drama. Especially disappointing because Augusta played perfectly and Pinehurst was an awesome venue.

I like Hicks too. Miller was choked up but kept it together in his sign off. He has been calling the US Open for 20 years.

Exaggerate much? I guess you prefer "SIR" Nick Faldo, who loves nothing more than telling us how he did everything 20 years ago?

All miller does is talk about how it was done back when he was playing.

blowout of a last day but i was glued to the TV watchig Compton and seeing if he made top 4 to get the Masters invite. what a great story. sure he may be old news to those that follow golf, but to a casual observer that was great TV on the final day

miller cracks me up, but he's an ass.

absolutely dominant performance by kaymer

figured out the course early and never let go

Bubba runs away with the Masters and Kaymer runs away with the US Open.

Terrible year of majors so far. Basically zero drama. Especially disappointing because Augusta played perfectly and Pinehurst was an awesome venue.

And yet when Tiger Christ was doing the same thing- winning with huge margins- everyone was creaming their panties over how awesome it was. The fact that there are 15-20 guys who can win a major on any given weekend is where real golf fans can find excitement. Granted the drama in Kaymer's win wasn't there but Compton's story was compelling. But there's a definite double standard when it comes to looking at large margin wins.

There is a big difference between Tiger competing with history and one guy among 15-20 guys blowing away the field.

And yet when Tiger Christ was doing the same thing- winning with huge margins- everyone was creaming their panties over how awesome it was. The fact that there are 15-20 guys who can win a major on any given weekend is where real golf fans can find excitement. Granted the drama in Kaymer's win wasn't there but Compton's story was compelling. But there's a definite double standard when it comes to looking at large margin wins.

You realize Kaymer is German, right?

Replace Kaymer with Spieth and it would have been plenty nuts.

There is a big difference between Tiger competing with history and one guy among 15-20 guys blowing away the field.

What do you think Kaymer was doing this past week? He was competing with History as well. First person to every shoot 65 at #2 (in a US Open), and he did it twice in a row. If Tiger had done it the slobberfest would have been unreal.

What do you think Kaymer was doing this past week? He was competing with History as well. First person to every shoot 65 at #2 (in a US Open), and he did it twice in a row. If Tiger had done it the slobberfest would have been unreal.

You mean like the one for Rory? Or how crazy it would have gotten if Compton had won?

I get the angst when coverage shows Tiger all the time when he's 15 shots back and the guy who's second gets no air time (although Phil got the same treatment this time around), but turning this US Open into a Tiger bitching session is a little ridiculous. Kaymer's a german guy who was off the map for years and has a friendly, easy disposition. When everyone really started watching on Saturday and Sunday he played smart, safe golf and coasted to a win.

Comparing that to Tiger destroying the field at Pebble is crazy.

This. It's an American audience, I don't get why this is hard for people to understand.

The Masters was at least competitive going into Sunday and Speith hung around for a little bit. Sadly the US Open was basically over by 1pm on Friday when Kaymer finished his 2nd round. I hope the Open and PGA Championship aren't blowouts by one guy. It's been said a lot but if Kaymer doesn't do what he did it yesterday would have been a lot of fun to watch.

Johnny Miller is an ass, I will take Faldo over him any day of the week.

Last edited:
So I made it to Augusta and Pinehurst this year. I don't like my chances for getting to Royal Liverpool or Valhalla though.

Also, scooter rentals are way to easy to get. Some people just need to stay the fuck home. Saw one dude turn over his scooter, on top of himself, trying to ride along a slope (with pine straw in the area). I was chuckling.

I dunno, comparing whether Miller or Faldo is a bigger ass is like trying to decide whether Donald Trump or Kanye have bigger egos.

At least Miller has some good swing and game analysis. Faldo just seems to be all accent and cliches.

You mean like the one for Rory? Or how crazy it would have gotten if Compton had won?

I get the angst when coverage shows Tiger all the time when he's 15 shots back and the guy who's second gets no air time (although Phil got the same treatment this time around), but turning this US Open into a Tiger bitching session is a little ridiculous. Kaymer's a german guy who was off the map for years and has a friendly, easy disposition. When everyone really started watching on Saturday and Sunday he played smart, safe golf and coasted to a win.

Comparing that to Tiger destroying the field at Pebble is crazy.

Is it? Two people blowing the field away at historic rates right? Seems like it's pretty comparable to me. I'm talking about how great Kaymer's performance was compared to the field and the way Tiger doing the same would have gotten a ton more talk than Kaymer's day did.

Kaymer German? Who knew. :rolleyes: I'm talking about the media slobbering and Monday morning talking heads who either hype a Tiger domination of 8-12 stroke win margin and call it amazing, win for the ages, etc while saying a tourney with anyone else winning by similar margin "boring." Same thing for the Spurs series: had the Heat won 4-1 with 15pt margins, it would've been the next incarnation of the Showtime Lakers and the greatest thing since Bill Russell's Celtics. But the Spurs made it a "boring" series. It's the hype and somewhere underneath there is a pattern that doesn't jibe.

Kaymer has a pretty bland personality (like most German males). Still, hats off to him for winning the two best tournaments of the year.

Back