• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ongoing WF Sports Misery Name Association Thread

Didn't Jason Kidd also put a dagger in us around '97 or '98 with Cal? Don't recall anything controversial. Just recall he won the game very late for them.

Jason Kidd was at Cal in the early '90s. We played them out there in '92-'93 and in WS in '93-'94. We lost both.

NC State hit the "three" with foot on the line. Maryland hit a shot after the buzzer that counted. Unless there was a similar thing in 1993.

You all are either too old to remember or too young to have been there. :thumbsup: Both the profit three and state buzzer beater was during Duncan's senior season. 1996-1997 season not 1993

Edited to say I missed ph post regarding this

Last edited:
I can't forget Brevin Knight.

Last edited:
Some dude from Georgia that hit a prayer from inside half court in 99 or so

Johnny Frye, Duke (Memorial Coliseum, 1959)
Larry Miller, UNC (Memorial Coliseum, 1967)
Brad Hoffman, UNC (ACCT, 1975)
Brad Davis, Maryland (Greensboro, 1977)

Warren Martin (UNC in 85 ACC tourny), who played the most passive role you'll see on this list (getting dunked on), but still dashed our hopes of winning when Charlie Thomas got a tech for opting to hang on the rim rather than crushing Martin on the floor.

Jamal Mashburn (UK 93 NCAA). I thought we were ready for the big-time and could make a statement by beating Kentucky. Mash thought otherwise.

The blown 22 point second half lead in Chapel Hill in the early 90's was my worst deacon defeat until yesterday! Donald Williams beat us at home maybe two years later as well and I don't think anyone's mentioned the Cleveland St. Debacle

Johnny Frye, Duke (Memorial Coliseum, 1959)
Larry Miller, UNC (Memorial Coliseum, 1967)
Brad Hoffman, UNC (ACCT, 1975)
Brad Davis, Maryland (Greensboro, 1977)

Let's not forget the misery Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek inflicted on us 55 years ago in our most recent Final Four.

Dante Calabrea (sp?) I think he had the put back on the missed FT when we fouled up 3 in the 94 ACCT semi to send it to OT.

You all are either too old to remember or too young to have been there. :thumbsup: Both the profit three and state buzzer beater was during Duncan's senior season. 1996-1997 season not 1993

Edited to say I missed ph post regarding this

I realize that. The original post said 1993, so I left open the possibility we got screwed on a 3 point call in 1993 also.

The blown 22 point second half lead in Chapel Hill in the early 90's was my worst deacon defeat until yesterday! Donald Williams beat us at home maybe two years later as well and I don't think anyone's mentioned the Cleveland St. Debacle

I was at that Dean Dome game. Wake was killing them and then you could just feel the debacle snowball start to roll down the mountain. I believe it was Brian Reece that hit a shot at the buzzer that gave UNC their only lead of the game.

I was at that Dean Dome game. Wake was killing them and then you could just feel the debacle snowball start to roll down the mountain. I believe it was Brian Reece that hit a shot at the buzzer that gave UNC their only lead of the game.

I was going to post this one. Believe it was Hubert Davis who hit the game winner. IIRC, we were up 22 at the half but stretched it to 24 early in the second half.

We let a Tarhole poster start a thread baiting us into being even more miserable than before.

Jamaal Levy shooting the technical free throws against WVU. Without a doubt the most gut-wrenching loss given the magnitude of that game.

We need a list of good wake things.

The come back at Kennan and against md.

The shot. Didn't ish have a buzzer beater against tx and two against va tech ?

Back