• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Anyone have a suggestion for a toy that will help keep a 1 year old distracted for as long as possible on a flight?

i think it probably depends more on the temperament but for a 1 year old that's about 15 min...

we got by on our long flights with a ton of short books to read to her. My mother signed us up for a subscription to Hello! magazine (highlights for babies) and it's great. They're short, industructible and small that you can pack about 10 of them in a diaper/go bag.

We also had some some sticker books along with one of these:

51oIJswUysL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

our daughter wasn't into videos until 18mo

Is Fortnite the new Minecraft? Is it a computer thing or a console thing?

4th grader is still obsessed with minecraft. Can we just keep that going forever?

Is Fortnite the new Minecraft? Is it a computer thing or a console thing?

4th grader is still obsessed with minecraft. Can we just keep that going forever?

Fortnite is basically every platform, including mobile (somehow)

Fortnite is basically every platform, including mobile (somehow)

Ugh.
Well, hopefully we can make it through the summer before that's a thing... but if it can be the carrot on the stick to get him to do other things around the house, fine.

Anybody have experience/advice w/ moving 2 kids into the same room?

We have 4 & 2 year old daughters... 3rd kid on the way. The plan is to move the 2 girls into 1 room a month or so before the new baby arrives. They do OK sleeping in the same room when we travel, but it takes them longer to go to bed and they wake up earlier in the morning... I suspect (hope) that once they adjust to the new arrangement, it'll be less of a novelty and they'll sleep longer.

Anything we should be thinking about?

Who puts how much effort into keeping the room clean and neat. Innate tendencies toward neatnik or messy, especially if you have one of each.

We have 4 & 2 year old daughters... 3rd kid on the way. The plan is to move the 2 girls into 1 room a month or so before the new baby arrives. They do OK sleeping in the same room when we travel, but it takes them longer to go to bed and they wake up earlier in the morning... I suspect (hope) that once they adjust to the new arrangement, it'll be less of a novelty and they'll sleep longer.

Kids 7 and 10 still share a room at our house (we have another bedroom ready to go as soon as someone requests it, but this is still the preferred arrangement for everyone - they go to bed and get up at the same time for school, so it's fine for now). When they were younger -though still older than yours- and even still now, it was a matter of establishing individual areas for each of them. A wall or spot to decorate with their own art/stuff, picking out the kind of basket/bin they have to organize the ikea bookshelf (kallax 2x4 square cubbies), a framed piece of art or a poster that is theirs, bedding, their own separate calendars... etc. Yes, it is a shared space, but they both have their own identity to it. As for bedtime chatting... maybe one night a week we'll hear them talking for a little bit, but eventually they go to bed and they definitely sleep longer now in the mornings. Just chalk it all up as important bonding time between them :)

The struggle we're currently having (and one that you may run into as they get older) is what to do if one of them just wants to hang out in the room or has a friend over and they're playing in there, but they don't want their sibling around. That's reasonable to not want sibling around, but it's also hard to kick someone out of their own room.

Buying a new house and getting a vasectomy. Not necessarily in that order.

Buying a new house and getting a vasectomy. Not necessarily in that order.

#1 is not happening. We bought our house at the right time... Moving elsewhere within Atlanta and getting a bigger house in as nice of an area would be impossible with our budget given my wife stays at home with the kids. We’ve looked.

#2 is happening as soon as baby #3 comes out.

I'd do it sooner, if you can; that last trimester can be a crapshoot. I'd rather have the other two "settled" into a room together before turning things upside down with a newborn.

Always good to get reinforcement that I am not the worst parent out there...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23436095/couple-fabricates-cancer-story-money-visit-syracuse-orange-football-team

A couple from central New York fabricated a 2017 story about their son having cancer, soliciting about $3,000 in funds for his recovery and a visit with the Syracuse University football team, according to the Cayuga County Sheriff's Office.

Syracuse.com reported that Martin and Jolene LaFrance faked the story of their son, CJ LaFrance, having Hodgkin lymphoma, and set up a GoFundMe page that received $3,334 in donations.

The family was also invited to attend a Syracuse practice in August 2017, where CJ, then 9 years old, met with the student-athletes and played catch with receiver Ervin Philips and linebacker Kielan Whitner. Quarterback Eric Dungey shared throwing tips and head coach Dino Babers offered his well wishes.

CJ's parents said their son also bonded with two-time cancer survivor Roy Wittke, Syracuse's director of player personnel. After the visit, the boy's uncle continued the fabrication, saying CJ's cancer had been upgraded to Stage 3 and that he had undergone both radiation and surgery.

The four-month investigation by the Cayuga County Sheriff's Office "conclusively" learned that CJ had never been diagnosed with cancer. His parents were charged with scheme to defraud and endangering the welfare of a child. They will appear in court on May 16 to be arraigned.

Welcome. Cookies are on the table. Wipes and sanitizer are to their left.

Yep - little one joined us on Friday (nerd dad rejoices as to the birthday) Mom was a champ during delivery and is continuing to be so far through the first few days.

Congrats man; hope mother and baby are well!

We got bunk beds for Boy when he was 4.5 and Girl was 2.5, and, despite having her own room and bed, Girl wanted to sleep on bottom bunk in his room. 2 years and 1 house move later, she has never left. Eventually I assume she'll want to move back into her room, but for now they're both very happy sleeping in the bunk beds. So...maybe get bunk beds?

In my experience, it hasn't really kept them from falling asleep. In fact, it seems like it's reduced the number of instances where they're scared or wake up in the night scared. When one wakes up in the morning, they both wake up, but I suspect that would have been the case even if they'd stayed in separate rooms (one surely would have gone in and woken the other one). In short, we're cool with it.

We got bunk beds for Boy when he was 4.5 and Girl was 2.5, and, despite having her own room and bed, Girl wanted to sleep on bottom bunk in his room. 2 years and 1 house move later, she has never left. Eventually I assume she'll want to move back into her room, but for now they're both very happy sleeping in the bunk beds. So...maybe get bunk beds?

In my experience, it hasn't really kept them from falling asleep. In fact, it seems like it's reduced the number of instances where they're scared or wake up in the night scared. When one wakes up in the morning, they both wake up, but I suspect that would have been the case even if they'd stayed in separate rooms (one surely would have gone in and woken the other one). In short, we're cool with it.

Aww this just made me excited for my Boy and Girl to be friends!

They love each other, but they also bicker and fight almost non-stop. Very much a "can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" relationship. So you have that to look forward to!

Hoping I can get some sleep this week... see top teeth getting ready to make an appearance

Back