• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

i've found that, regardless of brand, it's always just not quite far enough

leave one parent's phone in the room and call it with the other parent's. infinity range as long as you're not hanging out in tunnels or elevators. then one parent just has to be on earbud duty. you could even get real fancy and do it on facetime if you want video capabilities.

(this is how a few of the little kid parents did it at the beach this summer)

leave one parent's phone in the room and call it with the other parent's. infinity range as long as you're not hanging out in tunnels or elevators. then one parent just has to be on earbud duty. you could even get real fancy and do it on facetime if you want video capabilities.

(this is how a few of the little kid parents did it at the beach this summer)

Pro tip. lbE gets it.

Daughter just got an invite to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. TIL that Chuck E Cheese is still around.

So my daughter never tried to climb out of her crib. In fact, we switched her to a toddler bed at about 2.5 and to a bunk bed around 3, and even then for a while she wouldn't get out of bed until we came to get her.

Son turned 2 at the end of August and he decided this weekend was his time to make a break for it (and I was out of town Friday night til Sunday evening):

Text from husband Saturday: “So [son] didn’t nap today. Instead he threw all his things out of the crib, unzipped the sheet, then CLIMBED OUT OF BED, OPENED HIS DOOR, and came down the stairs saying ‘I done sleeping’ three times before I gave up.”

Text from Sunday: “[Son] slept in to 6 then climbed out of bed after I told him the alarm clock wasn’t green yet.”

Sunday night: Despite putting him down with a normal bedtime routine around 7pm, it is now 8:45pm and he has gotten out of bed no fewer than 8 times. And in the latest incident he stripped off his footie jammies before breaking out. When we went in he told us he wanted to pick out new ones.

I guess we’ll be converting the crib to a toddler bed tomorrow

45497581_10101067906563553_8537353046856826880_n.jpg

45426780_10101067906633413_9115153854726406144_n.jpg

Current view (9pm - two hours after bedtime AND the day after the time change...so it should feel like 10pm)

45496087_10101067917252133_656798523596996608_n.jpg

9:20 update - He had pooped. He had the arms of a pair of footie pajamas on his legs. And he was holding a container of bubbles and said “mommy open please.”

10pm update - his mattress is on the floor and we turned the light off from the pull chain so he can’t turn it on with the switch anymore. Also flipped the mattress over so the zipper side is down (since he unzipped the sheet all the way about 30 min ago). I’m tired and going to bed. He’s singing Old McDonald in the dark.

Morning update: Up rolling around before 6:30. Went in to get him up at 6:45 and his pajama pants were on inside out and backwards. Doesn’t seem tired after at least 3 fewer hours of sleep than normal!

lol kids are funny

I was texting my mom at the time and she's like "One day you'll look back on this and laugh." I'm like, oh, I'm laughing now. It's hilarious. But also annoying cause he needs to go to sleep!

Thank God we got the door to latch properly (old house, painted over door jams, etc) cause it hadn't been closed very well recently.

We have that same monitor! Not unique, I guess, since it's been #1 on Amazon for years now.

Going through pretty much the same thing. Our 1st (daughter) never tried to get out of the crib and she really didn't get out of her toddler bed on her own until well into her 3s. Our 2nd (daughter) is doing things similar to what you are dealing with... But my wife refuses to turn the crib into a toddler bed until she is ready to be potty-trained (XMas break). So I guess we're just dealing with it for the next 1.5 months...

I don't argue with my wife on these things give we're only 2 months into our 3rd (son) and he's not sleeping very well at all yet. Whatever my wife says is the correct answer.

FWIW, I've actually been impressed with my daughter climbing out of the crib. It doesn't seem easy.

We have that same monitor! Not unique, I guess, since it's been #1 on Amazon for years now.

Going through pretty much the same thing. Our 1st (daughter) never tried to get out of the crib and she really didn't get out of her toddler bed on her own until well into her 3s. Our 2nd (daughter) is doing things similar to what you are dealing with... But my wife refuses to turn the crib into a toddler bed until she is ready to be potty-trained (XMas break). So I guess we're just dealing with it for the next 1.5 months...

I don't argue with my wife on these things give we're only 2 months into our 3rd (son) and he's not sleeping very well at all yet. Whatever my wife says is the correct answer.

FWIW, I've actually been impressed with my daughter climbing out of the crib. It doesn't seem easy.

Ha, good man. I was basically like, ok, how quickly can we do the conversion to the toddler bed today? (it's already done since my husband was home today).

The problem in our case was that I think he was so proud of himself and excited to be able to get out that he just couldn't stay in bed once he discovered his new ability. He must've done it 15 times last night, and since it was getting so late we just put his mattress on the floor and left him. So I figured toddler bed would at least be better than that?

But I hear ya on being impressed. He gets out so quickly and quietly we didn't see him do it until later in the evening when we were watching the monitor.

My youngest (20mos) recently climbed out of her crib. It was quite a feat and totally unexpected because she’s so little for her age. I was impressed but she was pretty upset because she landed not gracefully. So we just got a toddler bed to assemble soon. More importantly we have a rock solid top of stairs gate.

Probably too late to try this and get your money's worth but it has worked at keeping the kiddo in the crib - originally when he was born we got it just to keep cats out, but its additional applications over time have made it well worth the purchase. (ex: overhead camera mounting, keeping out insects, and the aforementioned kiddo cant unzip his way out)

71-Y9YvSGGL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Crib-Safety-Canopy-Cover/dp/B075DLL489?th=1

My youngest (20mos) recently climbed out of her crib. It was quite a feat and totally unexpected because she’s so little for her age. I was impressed but she was pretty upset because she landed not gracefully. So we just got a toddler bed to assemble soon. More importantly we have a rock solid top of stairs gate.

I'd also suggest one of those plastic door knob covers. It is very hard for a child's small hands to properly squeeze them enough to open a door.

I'd also suggest one of those plastic door knob covers. It is very hard for a child's small hands to properly squeeze them enough to open a door.

Yeah, we have one of those on our basement door that has deterred him so far. Odd quirk of an old house, even though the knob to our basement (where the plastic cover fits) looks the same as our upstairs knobs, the plastic child-proofing cover doesn't fit upstairs. Boo.

Thankfully the door to his bedroom seems to stick a bit and it's hard for him to turn. I'm sure he'll get it one day but it's kept him in the last two nights (last night first night in toddler bed)

all y'all still have these cute little kids and I'm over here dealing with Rapid Onset Teenager.

Stepson just turned 11. Pre-teen angst is REAL... but on the flipside, he can do cool things like play Catan and effectively wipe his own butt. None of these toddlers are at that level.

Stepson just turned 11. Pre-teen angst is REAL... but on the flipside, he can do cool things like play Catan and effectively wipe his own butt. None of these toddlers are at that level.
Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the diapers and being up all night, but the nonsense that comes out of this kid's mouth...

Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the diapers and being up all night, but the nonsense that comes out of this kid's mouth...

Yeah, if life plans work we'll be dealing with diapers/up all night at the same time as nonsense spewing (that is no doubt coming our way).

Man, a teenager wearing diapers is going to be rough.

Back