• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

The most important stuff you’ll need to know is stuff the dudes can’t tell you.

Congratulations!

Baby girl on the way... other than not throw lame birthday parties, what do I need to know about having a kid?
Advice most welcome regarding ages 0-5, as I have hands-on experience after that point.

Congrats. Babies are easy. You’ll have no problems.

Congratulations. Just don’t be paranoid and freak out about everything and you’ll be fine. Let the big kids raise the baby girl.

Baby girl on the way... other than not throw lame birthday parties, what do I need to know about having a kid?
Advice most welcome regarding ages 0-5, as I have hands-on experience after that point.

That’s so exciting. You’re tough as shit. You already know that. You’re even tougher than you know though. You’ll do great.

Leebs! I have an about to be 2 year old daughter and a second on the way, you will be fine. Not gonna lie, doesn't get real fun until after a year, but you will be fine.

Question to everyone. We have flown a bunch of times with my daughter with no issues. They've never asked for any documentation or anything. My parents are going to take her on a flight without us, and my mom is freaking out that they are going to think they are like, human traffickers or something. Is there anything I need to do for a domestic flight to let her fly with her grandparents?

Stand next to the security line and yell, "Be good baby, daddy will love you forever !"

Leebs! I have an about to be 2 year old daughter and a second on the way, you will be fine. Not gonna lie, doesn't get real fun until after a year, but you will be fine.

Question to everyone. We have flown a bunch of times with my daughter with no issues. They've never asked for any documentation or anything. My parents are going to take her on a flight without us, and my mom is freaking out that they are going to think they are like, human traffickers or something. Is there anything I need to do for a domestic flight to let her fly with her grandparents?

Might not be a bad idea to give them a copy of her birth certificate in case anyone asks.

Congratulations. Just don’t be paranoid and freak out about everything and you’ll be fine..

This is the best advice possible for both raising your kids and having a healthy marriage.

My kids flew with my parents (and not us) to the Bahamas last year. We filled out paperwork (Consent Form for Minor Traveling Without Parents) for each kid just in case, but no one asked for documentation.

This is the best advice possible for both raising your kids and having a healthy marriage.

Yep, we generally go with this in most circumstances. PM has been a rock through everything so far; I've been pretty worthless most days and he's just doing everything.
Thanks, all, for the well-wishes. We're pretty excited! His kids are stoked, too, which also helps.

our 3 yr old daughter came home yesterday kinda bummed b/c the boys in the class told her girls can't play good guy/bad guy b/c girls don't fight bad guys

Posted this on the CT thread a couple weeks ago, but I still think about this incident everyday:

Girl: Daddy, smell my fingers.

[She jabs fingers under my nose. They stink.]

Me: [Girl], did you put your finger in your butt?

Girl: No!

Me: Did you stick it in your vagina?

Girl: [Cackles] Yeah. I stuck it in my vagina.

True story. One of the most messed up things ever.

That's so awesome - congratulations, lbe! I know you'll take on this adventure like a champ.

Whether you're facing an immediate challenge or simply pondering the future, never forget that humans (parents and infants, in this case) are resilient creatures. And for those [hopefully very rare or non-existent] moments where you may feel despondent, do not hesitate to ask for help. You've got a supportive partner and a loving family, and if you want commiseration: you've got this thread!

I like the don't freak out advice. So very true. And avoid the desire to get the kid "best of everything" BS.

And never feel bad when other parents tell you about how great their babies are. All babies have their moments. And none really sleep through the night.

Leebs, I’m very confident you will succeed at becoming the first parent ever not to freak out about his/her child !

Leebs, I’m very confident you will succeed at becoming the first parent ever not to freak out about his/her child !

Well that's unrealistic, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure moments will come, but like HTTD said - I know I've got a great support network!

I think the best advice we got was to buy and read the Moms on Call
books and learn how to properly swaddle. They sell swaddle blankets as well. My wife’s go to gift now for baby showers are the books and a couple of swaddles.

I like the don't freak out advice. So very true. And avoid the desire to get the kid "best of everything" BS.

And never feel bad when other parents tell you about how great their babies are. All babies have their moments. And none really sleep through the night.

Mine has slept through the night for most of his first six months. :couch:

He basically refuses to take naps of any length of time though so it if what it is.

Back