• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Congrats! And holy shit.

So sounds like you were able to go! Weren't you worried about a baby sitter or was that someone else?

Was definitely worried because of the no kids rule. Luckily, it was perfect timing where our neighbor quickly came over. If the labor would have been between 9-5, we would have been hosed.

On that note, the wife got an email today saying that the kid ban will be lifted at 8 am tomorrow, so my boys can actually visit before my wife comes home.

I like my Odyssey and won't apologize for it. It handles better than my Camry did and is super comfortable, especially for trips.

Suck it, Haters.

Thanks for the congrats, btw. Mom and baby are both doing great.

Congrats. Glad the fam is well.

So we had the baby girl this morning. Woke up at 4:55, got to Forsyth at 5:15, baby was born at 5:25. Adrenaline rush, for real.

Too early for scotch?

I feel for you, bro. Our second was born within 40 minutes of us walking through the hospital doors, and that was way too close for me.

With our first, the missus wanted a natural childbirth. She finally gave in and requested an epidural after 18 hours of labor, and later swore she would demand an epidural immediately upon entering the hospital if we ever had a second kid.

And she did.

Unfortunately for her, she was too far along, so they did not have time to give her the epidural.

but he's so smiley in that photo!

I know! It can be hard to know when something is actually wrong because he pretty much always smiles.

Dem twins doe

10430914_10100284208715323_3475255123528840132_n.jpg

i'm still slightly horrified at the idea of going into labor and then popping out a kid 30min later. 4;55-5:25 is a smaaaaaallllll window.

i'm still slightly horrified at the idea of going into labor and then popping out a kid 30min later. 4;55-5:25 is a smaaaaaallllll window.

That's not preferable to 18 hours of labor?

You wouldn't believe the number of ladies today that have told us how jealous they are of how quick it all went down. I think they just don't fully grasp the situation. Yeah, if you're already in a hospital bed before you start and you end in 30 minutes? Awesome. Starting 15 minutes away from the hospital? NOT AWESOME.

One of the lasting memories from today will be when we got off the elevator and went to be admitted. They were trying to ask her boring admission questions when she was standing there having a multiple-minute contraction, where at the end, she said loudly, "THIS BABY IS COMING RIGHT NOW AND I CANNOT STOP IT." That's kinda terrifying, but soooo much worse if we had still been en route.

Which, btw, props to the nursing staff at Forsyth for recognizing that this was really happening and doing away with all formalities, getting her on a bed ASAP. There were about 6 or 7 nurses who all converged at the same time, including 2 who I saw sprinting down the hall with a cart. Really great job by those folks.

neither sound ideal...

as long as a healthy baby comes out that's what matters, but still.

You wouldn't believe the number of ladies today that have told us how jealous they are of how quick it all went down. I think they just don't fully grasp the situation. Yeah, if you're already in a hospital bed before you start and you end in 30 minutes? Awesome. Starting 15 minutes away from the hospital? NOT AWESOME.

One of the lasting memories from today will be when we got off the elevator and went to be admitted. They were trying to ask her boring admission questions when she was standing there having a multiple-minute contraction, where at the end, she said loudly, "THIS BABY IS COMING RIGHT NOW AND I CANNOT STOP IT." That's kinda terrifying, but soooo much worse if we had still been en route.

Which, btw, props to the nursing staff at Forsyth for recognizing that this was really happening and doing away with all formalities, getting her on a bed ASAP. There were about 6 or 7 nurses who all converged at the same time, including 2 who I saw sprinting down the hall with a cart. Really great job by those folks.

ha, the bold is awesome.

yeah, exactly. Being in position and then being all done in 30min? Sure.
starting and only having a 30min window to drive to the hospital, park, and get checked in and all of that, get onto a bed and then BOOM, baby?! :willynilly:

We live about 20 min from the hospital I delivered at and it's in Newport Beach which essentially has one way in and out that is always super congested especially in the summer. I was so worried I would go into labor on Labor Day weekend when millions of people are going to the beach and we would end up in traffic but I was due a week and a half after Labor Day so thought I would be ok. Sure enough the night before Labor Day I go into labor, labored at home all night and headed in at 5am. I was fortunately far enough along to stay if they would have told us to go home and come back later I would have told them hell no. If she had come as fast as Hal's baby she would have been born on the side of the 5 freeway.

I think I was in labor about 28 hours but about 10 of those were after epidural. Epidural was glorious, I just watched movies and texted people til it was time to push. There was some drama cuz I spiked a fever but other than that not horrible.

I had a client who delivered in the elevator at the hospital.

S came so fast once labor started that the midwife didn't make it (it was the nurse's first water delivery too, thought I was going to have to catch him myself).

Yeahh 30 minutes door to baby sounds pretty terrifying. The 20ish hour labor might actually be better... Were her other deliveries pretty fast?

Yeahh 30 minutes door to baby sounds pretty terrifying. The 20ish hour labor might actually be better... Were her other deliveries pretty fast?

On the faster side, but nothing crazy. I think 6 hours on the first, 5 on the second, each with maybe 20-30 minutes of pushing.

Back