• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

Re: VHS, I thought the first and last were the two best. The Skype one and the one in the woods were both pretty stupid. Also, the whole storyline that ties them together was really dumb. Overall it was worth watching.

The Skype one was fantastic

Also this:

v-h-s.jpg

I like you.

Watched 2 movies tonight I quite well should have seen a long time before now. The Man Who Wasn't There and Kingpin. They were both incredibly entertaining. Both pretty well understated for what they accomplished. I really enjoyed Billy Bob Thorton's performance, as well as Woody Harrelson's.

Pretty great night of American cinema.

Have we discussed the fact that Keanu Reeves plays an OSU quarterback in both Point Break and The Replacements?

Is there some sort of recruiting violation in play? Sorry if I'm super late to the party in realizing this just now.

I'm intrigued by the new movie Upstream Color by the guy who made Primer, even though there is no way I'm going to see it anytime soon. And also I didn't really dig Primer all that much. Way too much work.

I watched at least 30 minutes of video from youtube that tried to explain the last 15 minutes of Primer. It really wasn't worth the effort.

It's funny, because I read about Primer in Chuck Klosterman's book Eating the Dinosaur and it sounded like something I'd like. But it disappeared from streaming Netflix before I could see it and I never got around to getting the DVD. Then it finally reappeared on streaming Netflix, and I was pumped, but then started watching it and just couldn't get into it. I admire the filmmaker's intelligence, effort and ambition, but I don't have the time or desire to create my own little color-coded flow chart and everything else I would need to be able to follow along in the course of watching it 10 times. That's just a whole other level of geek that I can't embrace.

I loved Primer. Upstream Color looks completely different though. Looks like a Malick film from the trailer.

Watched Man on the Moon on Netflix streaming tonight. It's been so long since i'd seen it that I forgot how amazing Jim Carrey's performance was. He does a wonderful job of maintaining an emotional distance from the audience, even when he gets cancer. You never feel like Carrey is attempting to garner cheap sympathy. I would have loved to have been alive to witness Andy Kaufman's career.

Did anyone else think that Argo was just kind of meh?

Just watched "The Loneliest Planet" last night, it revolves around a single moment that lasts only a few minutes right in the middle of the movie, but made it worth watching. I enjoyed it, and the cinematography of the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia was really good.

Saw Soderberg's Side Effects last night, which was pretty good. Some nice twists.

I'd like to see Fruitvale Station, but not sure when I'm going to be in the mood to see one of those powerful and emotional films that makes everyone cry and feel sad afterwards. I do like Michael B. Jordan though. I have a theory he's the next Denzel.

rented oblivion last night

fell asleep after 35 minutes

nothing happened. nothing. i mean, something exciting has to happen in the first 10 minutes of a movie like this, no?

I will never understand why movies like Precious and Fruitvale Station are over 90% on RT. Not my genre I guess.

Want to talk about a movie where nothing happens? Drinking Buddies with Anna Kendrick, Jake Johnson, Olivia Wilde. I'm sure some people find some redeeming qualities in a film with all mood and angst and decent acting and no plot but my neanderthal tastes would prefer if shit happened during the film.

Side note... Olivia Wilde's real last name is Cockburn.

Back