• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Possum George Jones ...

watch

Last edited:
Seriously? I've been to 10 or so Willie shows (most recently in December) and have never seen anything of the like.. I know he smokes a lot of pot but I'm not sure he drinks at all these days.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just find it very surprising.

I was there with a buddy when he played the Fillmore back in December and the guy who was supposed to have our tickets didn't show. We stood outside to listen for a bit and talked to 4-5 groups of folks who were leaving about 30-40 minutes after Willie went on stage, saying that he sounded awful and looked hammered (not sure what from), resulting in a mostly instrumental show with tons of solos by the band and Willy nowhere near a mic. I was both disappointed to miss a chance to see Willie in a 2000 person venue and glad that I didn't end up dropping $60 to see it.

I was there with a buddy when he played the Fillmore back in December and the guy who was supposed to have our tickets didn't show. We stood outside to listen for a bit and talked to 4-5 groups of folks who were leaving about 30-40 minutes after Willie went on stage, saying that he sounded awful and looked hammered (not sure what from), resulting in a mostly instrumental show with tons of solos by the band and Willy nowhere near a mic. I was both disappointed to miss a chance to see Willie in a 2000 person venue and glad that I didn't end up dropping $60 to see it.

Are you sure you aren't talking about David Allan Coe?

Kenny Chesney, Blake Shelton, etc. Gosh this is depressing! They don't make them like Country singers I had growing up anymore.

Keith Whitley had potentail to be one of teh greats, but his life ended up to be too much like a country song.

Brad Paisley – “George Jones’ life is an example of so many wonderful things; How someone’s God-given gifts can make this a richer, better place. How one human being can overcome adversity, addiction, and life threatening obstacles time and time again. That it is not the stumble or fall that counts, but the willingness to stand again. How a keen sense of humor and a twinkle in a person’s eye can still prevail even after all of life’s hard knocks. How mistakes, missteps, and bad choices are not the end of the world if a person chooses to turn them into something good. And George’s life is above all the strongest example of how the love of a great woman can get a man through anything. All of this made its way beautifully into every note of the greatest voice country music will ever know and one of the greatest friends you could ever have. We miss you already, George. –Brad”

Interesting tribute.

Had a glass of whiskey over lunch in his honor. He will be greatly missed.

His stated misgivings about the pop sound in current country music were well placed. He was a cornerstone of true country music who drew his inspiration from Hank Williams and Roy Acuff.

Seriously? I've been to 10 or so Willie shows (most recently in December) and have never seen anything of the like.. I know he smokes a lot of pot but I'm not sure he drinks at all these days.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just find it very surprising.

Saw him at DPAC in January. Great venue, great show.

Keith Whitley had potentail to be one of teh greats, but his life ended up to be too much like a country song.

I was just gonna type Keith Whitley "no stranger to the rain"

Just sad to lose a guy like this

IIRC he had to cancel a bunch of shows around that time do to illness.

I've always thought Keith Whitley's "I'm Over You" was the distant cousin of George Jones' "She Thinks I Still Care."

Those guys are two of my favorites.

George Jones could probably still whip Brad Paisley's ass.

"In the 1970s, I was drunk the majority of the time," Jones wrote in his memoir. "If you saw me sober, chances are you saw me asleep."

Just heard Willie will be playing in Naples on his birthday.

Besides Willie, who assumes the role of representing traditional country music?

The numbers are shrinking at an alarming rate it seems.

Back