• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Presidential Debate

well, Jesus was a guy making up his own religion. Christians are a bunch of sheeple who follow a different made up religion that uses Jesus' life/teachings as a loose guideline but mostly is about everyone else's interpretation of his teachings.

well, Jesus was a guy making up his own religion. Christians are a bunch of sheeple who follow a different made up religion that uses Jesus' life/teachings as a loose guideline but mostly is about everyone else's interpretation of his teachings.

Jesus was Jewish.

not that it matters, he was born jewish yes but his teachings, while oblivious heavily influenced by, were not strictly jewish in application

not that it matters, he was born jewish yes but his teachings, while oblivious heavily influenced by, were not strictly jewish in application

Most believe he was 'born again' and became Christian when he was baptized by John the Baptist and thus started Christianity.

The point is that "Christians" point to the Old Testament wen discussing homosexuality, but to really be a Christian you follow the words and works of Jesus (as described in the New Testament). Paul (apostle) taught that we are no longer under the Law (Leviticus is Old Testament). Therefore, to connect the dots for you, Christians are no longer under the Law and do not live our Christian life by following the Old Testament Law.

I hate talking religion...last post

Good find. This is what I was asking bob2 for the other day.

Perhaps I am not reading this correctly but a key thesis this author posits is that Christians want to be left alone to live their lives and raise their families. I support this 100%. Where I struggle is with the Christians who want to impose their beliefs on others, as has happened throughout much of our country's history. Not sure the author addressed that...

Good find. This is what I was asking bob2 for the other day.

Perhaps I am not reading this correctly but a key thesis this author posits is that Christians want to be left alone to live their lives and raise their families. I support this 100%. Where I struggle is with the Christians who want to impose their beliefs on others, as has happened throughout much of our country's history. Not sure the author addressed that...

The problem, and it's a problem a lot of atheists make, is that they want to reduce Christianity to stereotypical conservative evangelicals, when Christians are in fact far less uniform in their thinking.

but, but, but ... liberals and lefties want to impose their ideas, as do atheists, and Muslims, etc, etc, etc, etc ...

if you think you have good ideas, you naturally want others to adopt them; why is this especially a crime for Christians and Christians alone?

but, but, but ... liberals and lefties want to impose their ideas, as do atheists, and Muslims, etc, etc, etc, etc ...

if you think you have good ideas, you naturally want others to adopt them; why is this especially a crime for Christians and Christians alone?

It's not a good look for evangelicals. They often appear more worried about what people are or are not doing in regard to a few select issues (abortion, homosexuality) which do not personally affect them while ignoring a host of other significant issues including the most significant issue of sharing the Gospel.

I do not agree. I do not believe that, say pro-choice, is imposing views. It only allows for the choice...you are not required. Pro-lifers want to remove the choice for Americans. I for one think consciousness occurs when the CNS (brain) is formed in week 5. I also do not believe in the idea that any religion should impose law.

Sorry to derail, but we know nothing of Jesus other than what the authors of the New Testament, and particularly the gospels, want us to know. The Jesus portrayed in the New Testament certainly isn't a "guy making up his own religion." If anyone is making anything up here, it's you.

fair enough, poor word choice re: Jesus himself.

but to say he was Christian is ridiculous

I don't think it is a problem for Christians alone. You are correct...there are some crazy liberal ideas that they are trying to force on others...as there are some crazy conservative ideas as well.

Extremism in any sense is a bad thing...

I don't think it is a problem for Christians alone. You are correct...there are some crazy liberal ideas that they are trying to force on others...as there are some crazy conservative ideas as well.

Extremism in any sense is a bad thing...

I think lobbyist written trade agreements like NAFTA are extremist as is making millions of people here illegally citizens. But somehow I doubt that's what you're referring to.

Yes on the first, no on the second

The National Academy of Sciences recently released a massive study, The Economic and Fiscal Impact of Immigration. It states that wages have been lowered 5.2% due to immigration, that equates to $500 billion.
https://gborjas.org/2016/09/21/nas5/

Those who have been hardest hit are typically those who can least afford it- the working poor. I know for many of the Hillary supporting bootstrap types on here (like cville, 923, and TWMD), these people deserve every indignity society foists upon them. The point is, low skilled immigration does not benefit society. It only benefits the immigrants and those at the top who can exploit and profit off their presence. It is destroying our society. We need to limit it to those with knowledge/skills that are truly in demand.

Last edited:
The National Academy of Sciences recently released a massive study, The Economic and Fiscal Impact of Immigration. It states that wages have been lowered 5.2% due to immigration, that equates to $500 billion.
https://gborjas.org/2016/09/21/nas5/

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/06/01/does-immigration-suppress-wages-its-not-so-simple/
Highlights:
- reduced immigration creates a labor shortage; when pay rates rise due to labor shortages they affect economic competitiveness
- immigration increases demand for services, boosting employment
- illegal workers generally receive lower pay than native-born workers, generating higher profits for local businesses

Reluctantly I have to vote Clinton, and believe me it hurts my soul more than I can express.

I just can't believe a WFU grad would vote for Trump...please provide your transcripts, otherwise I believe you really went to NCSU and claim WFU.

So it hurts your soul more than you can express to vote for Hillary, but you just can't believe a Wake grad would vote for Trump? Like where you are going with provide your transcripts, though TranscriptDeac won't be as funny as BirtherDeac.

Is that Chris Farley as Trump ?

I was thinking it was Michael Moore. The white socks he is wearing are a nice touch.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/06/01/does-immigration-suppress-wages-its-not-so-simple/
Highlights:
- reduced immigration creates a labor shortage; when pay rates rise due to labor shortages they affect economic competitiveness
- immigration increases demand for services, boosting employment
- illegal workers generally receive lower pay than native-born workers, generating higher profits for local businesses

When you flood the market with a surplus of labor you weaken the bargaining power of workers and employers are able to pay their workers less. Do you think that's a good thing?

I do not agree. I do not believe that, say pro-choice, is imposing views. It only allows for the choice...you are not required. Pro-lifers want to remove the choice for Americans. I for one think consciousness occurs when the CNS (brain) is formed in week 5. I also do not believe in the idea that any religion should impose law.

you must realize that your argument is rather weak

Back