• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

The Rev. Dr. Ralph D. West II, founder and senior pastor of a Houston, Texas megachurch called Church Without Walls, was ordered by a jury to pay a woman $2.45 million after he was found to have given her genital herpes, and after he lied to her about whether he had the disease. It is believed to be the largest amount of money ever awarded in the state of Texas for this type of claim. His church claims a membership of 24,000 families. The minister and his church have so far "declined to comment on the case." If he has to give up his post, maybe he can become a new professor of religion at Liberty U.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-megachurch-pastor-pay-2-233222336.html

Last edited:
Pastor Mike Bickle, called "a major figure within the dominionist Pentecostal wing of American Christianity", and the founder and leader of the megachurch International House of Prayer in Kansas City, has been accused by multiple women inside and outside his church of sexual assault and rape going back for decades. When church leaders heard of the accusations and tried to address them with Bickle he “used manipulating and intimidating tactics towards the victims to isolate them and discredit them.” He is a major supporter of Trump and other GOP politicians like Ted Cruz and Rick Perry. In 2019 he called criticism of Trump by the "militant left" as “a demonic attack coming against the Word of God."

He is opposed (of course) to the LGBTQ community and has said that "the gay marriage agenda...is rooted in the depths of hell" and in 2015 that "if same-sex couples were given the right to get married, Christians would be jailed for preaching from the Bible and pedophilia would be taught in public schools." He's also claimed that Oprah Winfrey was a forerunner of the Antichrist and he's "preached that according to End Times prophecy, God will “raise up a hunter” against Jews who refuse to accept the Lordship of Jesus, adding that “the most famous hunter in recent history is a man named Adolf Hitler.” His mentor, Rev. Bob Jones, who helped him found the International House of Prayer, was forced out of his own ministry in 1991 for accusations that he had manipulated women in his church into "sexual misconduct", not unlike what Bickle is accused of doing. Just another Religious Right fraud - it's like clockwork now.

2583915.gif

Seems like a good way to blackmail preachers.

I posted this on another thread, but I'd bet that this is only the beginning of "interesting" things we're going to learn about Speaker Johnson's private life that don't match those traditional family values and puritanical moral code he wants to foist onto everyone else.

I posted this on another thread, but I'd bet that this is only the beginning of "interesting" things we're going to learn about Speaker Johnson's private life that don't match those traditional family values and puritanical moral code he wants to foist onto everyone else.
I bet he's going to wish he never got the job as Speaker. He might not last as long as McCarthy and what comes out about him is going to scorch his earth.

There is a decent chance there is a live boy or a dead hooker in his past.

Probably why a big reason no one seemed to want the job in the first place.

Alabama GOP small-town mayor and Baptist minister gets outed by right-wing media for posting on social media accounts as a transgender woman and for wearing women's clothing in his home. A few days later he committed suicide.

"Alabama mayor and pastor Bubba Copeland commits suicide just days after a conservative news outlet with close ties to Steve Bannon and Breitbart published private photos of him wearing women’s clothing. The story started off describing how the pastor met with Trump to request federal aid after a flood — and then pivoted, “However, during this time, the pastor had a secret life playing out online on social media and Reddit. The mayor operated social media accounts as a transgender woman under the pseudonym Brittini Blaire Summerlin.”

"After being contacted by the conservative publication, 1819 News, Copeland promptly deleted the accounts and asked that the images not to be made public due to his family and position as a pastor. However, the conservative publication ignored his request and published the photos...in a...attempt to smear him and ruin his life. Copeland addressed his Baptist congregation on Wednesday night, stating that he was the victim of an “internet attack” and declaring, “Yes, I have taken pictures with my wife in the privacy of our home in an attempt of humor because I know I’m not a handsome man nor a beautiful woman either. I apologize for any embarrassment caused by my private, personal life that has come publicly.” Unfortunately...Baptist leaders in Alabama issued a damning statement saying they had “become aware of the alleged unbiblical behavior.”

"Today, Copeland took his own life, according to police. They did not release any further details."

Last edited:
Unfortunately...Baptist leaders in Alabama issued a damning statement saying they had “become aware of the alleged unbiblical behavior.”

Honestly, I think such language can be hate speech.

Philadelphia organizer of a Moms for Liberty chapter, the Rev. Phillip Fisher, Jr., turns out to be a registered sex offender. He "is a pastor at the Center for Universal Divinity and a Republican ward leader responsible for coordinating faith-based outreach for the group, which is a well-endowed organization that aims to align American education with a number of the GOP's far-right ideals."

"While living in Chicago at age 25, Fisher was convicted in 2012 of aggravated sexual abuse of a 14-year-old boy, a conviction Fisher has claimed to be the result of a "railroad job" created by the political action committee for Lyndon LaRouche...Fisher, who once worked for LaRouche's committee, referred to it as a "cult," saying he was set up by the organization as he was trying to distance himself from it."

So he's a minister and leader of a group trying to take over public schools to promote Christian Nationalism and a far-right curriculum, yet he's a convicted pedophile. That's becoming pretty standard fare for the GOP these days.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-moms-liberty-organizer-registered-195418456.html

"She still identifies as an evangelical Christian, but she doesn’t believe going to church is necessary to commune with God. “I have my own little thing with the Lord,” she says.

Ms. Johnson’s thing includes frequent prayer, she said, as well as podcasts and YouTube channels that discuss politics and “what’s going on in the world” from a right-wing, and sometimes Christian, worldview. No one plays a more central role in her perspective than Donald J. Trump, the man she believes can defeat the Democrats who, she is certain, are destroying the country and bound for hell."

Back