• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Of course I don’t think that. What I do think is that dems paved the way for the argument that a president’s personal moral failings are irrelevant to governance. It is now the political norm to ignore the poor character of politicians we agree with.

To say Katie Hill resigned for having an affair is like saying Danny Manning sucks because we can’t beat Duke. It’s not false that we can’t beat Duke, but that only scratches the surface of why Manning sucks.

Please tell us what other reasons there were for Katie Hill to resign? She carried on a consensual affair with an adult while she was in an agreed upon open marriage. The closest thing to doing anything immoral was giving the woman she was in love with (before she ran for office) a job. On the other hand, her ex did lots of immoral things by publishing private pictures of a soon to be ex.

Tried to get my mother in law to read the Christianity Today editorial. She refuses, and when I dropped that 1Thessalonians 4:13 on her, she told me her preacher said that God put Trump into the White House, and he wasn’t going anywhere till God was through with him.

Tried to get my mother in law to read the Christianity Today editorial. She refuses, and when I dropped that 1Thessalonians 4:13 on her, she told me her preacher said that God put Trump into the White House, and he wasn’t going anywhere till God was through with him.

My mom is the same. Her head nearly exploded when I asked why Obama did not get the same support because, you know, God's will.

God’s will is what they like.

It’s God’s will they protest things they don’t like.

Sort of convenient.

Good Christian man, Marc Short, Pence’s chief of staff, goes on Fox News and defends Trump saying Congressman Dingell might be in hell. He even pulls a Junebug and says “but Dingell started it !” because apparently Dingell called trump an imbecile earlier. Totally normal reaction from the republican party’s president and staff:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...hort-defends-trump-dingell-attack/2728353001/

Way too late. Damage has been done in a number of ways and I don’t see it changing.

That’s a powerful statement that is coming far too late.

Agreed. Well-written, very clear and concise, and powerful. But it would have been far better had it been written in the first six months of Trump's administration, or even during the 2016 presidential campaign before he was elected. Very few evangelicals are going to listen, as they're all-in on Dear Leader now, and there's no going back. This article notes that CT was prepared to "reap the whirlwind" from the first editorial, but in truth it's American Christianity that's reaping the whirlwind from their blind support of Trump. Even if he gets a second term and packs the SC with hard-right justices who will roll back progressive rulings on gay rights and other cultural and social issues, or elect conservative Congresses, it's not going to stop the changes in our society, and may in fact accelerate them. And that's particularly true regarding the steady decline in church attendance and membership. The article clearly points this out and gives the cause, but most Evangelicals will simply ignore it.

https://www.christianpost.com/voice/why-it-is-wise-for-christians-to-support-president-trump.html

Pastor of a very wealthy baptist mega church defends Trump in response to CT’s article.

Grew up going to this church. The same pastor that denied my sister a meager sum of money for a mission trip to Africa years ago. And by denied I mean, after meeting with her, he never returned her phone calls or emails. I think it was $1000. They have enormous coffers of money. I do wonder if their membership is declining but there’s no way they’d publish. Righteous hypocrites.

Agreed. Well-written, very clear and concise, and powerful. But it would have been far better had it been written in the first six months of Trump's administration, or even during the 2016 presidential campaign before he was elected. Very few evangelicals are going to listen, as they're all-in on Dear Leader now, and there's no going back. This article notes that CT was prepared to "reap the whirlwind" from the first editorial, but in truth it's American Christianity that's reaping the whirlwind from their blind support of Trump. Even if he gets a second term and packs the SC with hard-right justices who will roll back progressive rulings on gay rights and other cultural and social issues, or elect conservative Congresses, it's not going to stop the changes in our society, and may in fact accelerate them. And that's particularly true regarding the steady decline in church attendance and membership. The article clearly points this out and gives the cause, but most Evangelicals will simply ignore it.

Lack of church attendance just feeds into their victimhood narrative.

Yep. They are under attack and this WAR on Christmas proves it.

Lack of church attendance just feeds into their victimhood narrative.

Absolutely. Just like minority voters. Never interested in reasons they aren’t connecting. Just blaming those they aren’t connecting with.

Trump’s election would not have been possible without Bill Clinton. We all learned from dems that a man’s personal moral failings are not relevant to his ability to govern. Grab ‘em by the pussy sucks and all, but ultimately, it’s the economy, stupid.

I’ll do you one better: lying about having an affair is obviously disqualifying. Let’s make the bar having one.

This is a great new float in the whole "Trump is really the Democrats' fault" parade.

https://www.christianpost.com/voice/why-it-is-wise-for-christians-to-support-president-trump.html

Pastor of a very wealthy baptist mega church defends Trump in response to CT’s article.

Grew up going to this church. The same pastor that denied my sister a meager sum of money for a mission trip to Africa years ago. And by denied I mean, after meeting with her, he never returned her phone calls or emails. I think it was $1000. They have enormous coffers of money. I do wonder if their membership is declining but there’s no way they’d publish. Righteous hypocrites.

LOL at that "defense" of Trump. It's not a religious statement, but a right-wing political screed. Of course, people like this minister don't see any difference. I'm sure he probably thinks there are no liberal Christians, or that it's impossible to be one. It's no accident that the very first thing he mentioned in praise of Trump was that he's appointed two conservative SC justices and a bunch of other conservative judges to lower federal courts. I continue to find it highly ironic that one of the main Evangelical defenses of Trump is that he's appointing god-fearing conservative Christian judges to promote values from the bench that their own hero either ignores, disdains, or doesn't bother to practice in his public or private life. They're basically arguing that having an Anti-Christ as their adored leader is OK because he's promoting their presumed Christ-like values, except in many respects their values aren't Christ-like any more than Trumps are. Pharisees, the lot of them.

The list of people that signed that document is as much political as religious. Michelle bachman? Huckabee?

Back