• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Proverbs 14:31
He who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker,
But he who is gracious to the needy honors Him.

Deuteronomy 24:14
“You shall not oppress a hired servant who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your countrymen or one of your aliens who is in your land in your towns.

Proverbs 22:22
Do not rob the poor because he is poor,
Or crush the afflicted at the gate;

Amos 5:12
For I know your transgressions are many and your sins are great,
You who distress the righteous and accept bribes
And turn aside the poor in the gate.

Zechariah 7:10
do not oppress the widow or the orphan, the stranger or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another.

Ezekiel 16:49
Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy.

Jeremiah 5:28
‘They are fat, they are sleek,
They also excel in deeds of wickedness;
They do not plead the cause,
The cause of the orphan, that they may prosper;
And they do not defend the rights of the poor.

I was a stranger and you invited me in.
—Matthew 25:35

Do not oppress a foreigner; you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners, because you were foreigners in Egypt.
—Exodus 23:9

The foreigners residing among you must be treated as native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.
—Leviticus 19:34

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.
Matthew 25:35

Evangelicals don't pay much attention to those Biblical verses, and they also ignore lots of others they don't like, such as all the condemnations of divorce. But if it mentions homosexuality as a sin or the End Times when Jesus will return and destroy all of their librul opponents while they laugh from heaven then they're all over that shit.

Instead of “poor” substitute “white working class” or “job creators.”

I take a notebook with me because there are often points from the sermon that i'd like to revisit in the coming days. I don't see why that's weird other than someone's just not used to it.

I take a notebook with me because there are often points from the sermon that i'd like to revisit in the coming days. I don't see why that's weird other than someone's just not used to it.

Yeah, same here. I also annotate and highlight things in my bible. I did grow up Southern Baptist though.

Evangelicals don't pay much attention to those Biblical verses, and they also ignore lots of others they don't like, such as all the condemnations of divorce. But if it mentions homosexuality as a sin or the End Times when Jesus will return and destroy all of their librul opponents while they laugh from heaven then they're all over that shit.

The anti gay translations did not begin until the 40s-50s (46 I think). MAGA amiright??

Evangelicas do not like jesus and the new testament god. They like the angry, vengeful old testament god. More in line with their core beliefs.

A minority of Christians have read the Bible word for word from cover to cover. It can be a tough read for extended periods, even with more modern translations. It is an absolute essential if the reader wants to receive the benefits it provides. After the first reading, subsequent readings become much easier and much more rewarding.

The anti gay translations did not begin until the 40s-50s (46 I think). MAGA amiright??

Evangelicas do not like jesus and the new testament god. They like the angry, vengeful old testament god. More in line with their core beliefs.

I don’t know. The God of the Hebrew Bible spent a whole time talking about economic Justice, care for the worker, benefits for those who can’t work, cancellation of debts, commission and care for the immigrant, and restorative Justice.

She told her Christian college she was raped. Then she was banned from campus.
A new federal complaint says Visible Music College gave a student a choice: admit to breaking the school's ban on premarital sex or be expelled.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/visible-music-college-rape-complaint-rcna26418

When Mara Louk told an administrator at Visible Music College, where she was a senior, that a male classmate had choked and raped her last November, she expected that school officials would help her file a police report and arrange a safety plan.

Instead, she said in a federal complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education on Wednesday, administrators at Visible, a Christian college in Memphis, Tennessee, accused her of breaking school rules against premarital sex with a different student, an ex-boyfriend. She denied having sex with him but said the school threatened to expel her unless she signed a confession and finished the school year remotely.

Holy shit, you have to be truly ignorant to buy this drivel.

That's one of the reasons why the GOP is waging an escalating war on public education and what teachers can say and teach. Dumb and ignorant adults = dumb and easily-manipulated voters.

Yet another sign of what we have to look forward to in our upcoming GOP Evangelical Christian theocracy - let's go back to spanking kids till they are injured! Christian schools ftw!

"A Louisiana pastor, headmaster of a Christian school, and former “Survivor” contestant John Raymond has been arrested for a second time on charges of cruelty towards a juvenile, the Daily Advertiser reports. Raymond, 60, is also an elected member of the Louisiana Republican Party State Central Committee. According to Slidell Police, new allegations say he held a 4-year-old boy upside down by his ankles and “whipping his buttocks.” Witnesses say Raymond’s actions prevented the child from breathing “to the point of him going limp.” A staff member who witnesses the incident said the child was “out of it and lethargic” and “unable to stand.”

In April, Raymond was arrested after he was accused of taping the mouths of students shut as punishment for talking too much. Parents said their children were brought by Raymond to his office and had their mouths shut with packing tape that wrapped around their heads. According to reports, the children were sent back to class with the tape wrapped around their heads and mouths for 45 minutes “until another school administrator began feeling uncomfortable about the situation and used scissors to remove the tape.” The children said the tape made it difficult for them to breathe."

I guess that's what separates good adults from bad adults, because we've all wanted to.

Sorry Thunderbolt, because you seem like a great guy and great example of the right way to practice/exercise Christianity, and I know this isn't a new idea, but man we would be so better off as a nation if organized Christianity ceased to exist. It's just been completely destroyed/bastardized by the right and is used primarily as a weapon of hate and evil now. People mock Scientology as a crazy cult, but I'll take scientologists over anyone on the Christian right every day and twice on Sunday-- they are so much more dangerous and impactful and crazy. I don't know how any member of a Christian church with any ties whatsoever to the religious right (or that hasn't explicitly distanced itself from it) can continue to participate in good conscience.

Thunderbolt's church isn't tied to the religious right.

I have no doubt about that - I should have been more clear. And I shouldn't have said "without ties" as if that is enough. Does his Church (and others without ties), explicitly distanced itself from those churches and effectively call them out for bastardizing/destroying/politicizing Christianity? Don't know any other way to save organized Christianity.

Last edited:
Back