• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I doubt he regrets anything. He had sex with her he raped a underage teenager for 2 years then had sex with her for 5 more starting when she was 16 and he called it "adultery." That's not regret. I also doubt she's the only victim.

suggested edits

Accepted. Do these changes work for you?

I doubt he regrets anything. He raped and manipulated her for 7 years and dismissed it as "adultery." That's not regret. I also doubt she's the only victim.

I just saw that story a couple of hours ago. It's very similar to the story in the SBC report I posted of a 14-year-old girl who was repeatedly raped by her pastor and eventually got pregnant, then was forced to apologize for her premarital pregnancy in front of the church but forbidden to mention that the pastor was the father. He was allowed to move on to other churches, even after the woman was grown and notified the SBC of the pastor's abuse. Again, these are the same people who claim that Democrats are godless commie heathens and our government needs to become a theocracy (with people like them running the government, of course) to tell the rest of us how to live "godly" lives. Right, right.

Accepted. Do these changes work for you?

I doubt he regrets anything. He raped and manipulated her for 7 years and dismissed it as "adultery." That's not regret. I also doubt she's the only victim.

Sure. I mostly wanted to highlight that this was rape of an under-aged girl.

I am equally as mad that the people responded by praying for him. Sorry Diggler, but organized religion is a toxic cesspool of shitty powerful men.

How do you not drag that fucker out hand him to the cops?

Forgiveness. It's a bulletproof shield. If they ask for forgiveness, they can avoid God's judgment. Meanwhile, they can project those forgiven sins onto their political enemies in order to gain the political power they need to judge and punish others here on earth.

It's quite sinister how Christians present themselves as victims of sin ("the Devil"). Plenty of people in that congregation see that rapist pastor as a victim when he's a perpetrator.

But it's not isolated to religion. There's not much difference between this and Elon Musk or any other powerful man claiming to be a victim when women come forward about his sexual harassment.

Last edited:
So no prayer circle for the (actual) victim. Ten to one she is basically shunned from this church after telling her story.

I consider myself a Christian, but the vast majority of organized religion is a confidence game.

So no prayer circle for the (actual) victim. Ten to one she is basically shunned from this church after telling her story.

I consider myself a Christian, but the vast majority of organized religion is a confidence game.

That part made me extra mad. Pray for and forgive the sinner, sure, but how about some sympathy, prayer and support for the rape victim. The guy didn't even confess to the right sin and the sheep are falling over them selves to support him. Disgusting.

Forgiveness. It's a bulletproof shield. If they ask for forgiveness, they can avoid God's judgment. Meanwhile, they can project those forgiven sins onto their political enemies in order to gain the political power they need to judge and punish others here on earth.

It's quite sinister how Christians present themselves as victims of sin ("the Devil"). Plenty of people in that congregation see that rapist pastor as a victim when he's a perpetrator.

But it's not isolated to religion. There's not much difference between this and Elon Musk or any other powerful man claiming to be a victim when women come forward about his sexual harassment.

I mean I understand forgiveness, but that is not the time for forgiveness. I'll try to force myself to forgive him once he's behind bars for multiple years. Beat his ass and drag him out of the church.

I mean I understand forgiveness, but that is not the time for forgiveness. I'll try to force myself to forgive him once he's behind bars for multiple years. Beat his ass and drag him out of the church.

It’s all about forgiveness for me (us) and punishment for thee. “God knows what’s in my heart” and all that.

They’d be all for beating his ass and throwing him in jail if he was a Democrat or an immigrant or Black and not part of their own community of faith.

Forgiveness on one hand, destroying due process on the other

The state deserves forgiveness for sentencing innocent people to death. They're the real victims.

That part made me extra mad. Pray for and forgive the sinner, sure, but how about some sympathy, prayer and support for the rape victim. The guy didn't even confess to the right sin and the sheep are falling over them selves to support him. Disgusting.

I'm sure many will hold him in even higher regard now that he had the boldness to confess.

They’d be all for beating his ass and throwing him in jail if he was a Democrat or an immigrant or Black and not part of their own community of faith.

So damn true. Let's hypothetical if someone they didn't know showed up in their pulpit one Sunday morning and admitted to adultery with an underage member of their church. He'd be lucky to get out the door. (And she'd still be shunned out of the church because she undoubtedly did something to tempt him.)

nothing has caused more misery and death than organized religion

It’s well organized. That’s part of the problem. What is it well organized to do? Protect power.

well organized around sky fairies. bunch of morons.

Agreed on all points. You pray for sinners to be forgiven by GOD, but you put them in jail on earth. The woman is the only one who has the right to forgive him for raping her. The congregation should consider whether to forgive him for lying to them for decades and doubtless committing many sins (he only "confessed" because he was confronted with evidence and got a chance to spin it.) In any event, forgiveness doesn't mean you escape consequences of your actions. He should be fired from his church and prosecuted for rape.

nothing has caused more misery and death than organized religion

the second greatest cause of misery and death?

you guessed it:

images

Back