• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

THE TIME IS NOW! NOW IS THE TIME!

We're going to have to play better than that the rest of the year but hey a win's a win

App fans were generally nice that we encountered. But the collective fan base didn't seem to understand football at times. They thought they had a first down on a 1st and 20 that gained 8 yards. And of course them thinking they got another shot after the celebration penalty was comical.

For the rules geeks: Does the ball automatically go to the defense after a FG try, that is blocked like that and stays in the field of play? App kicked on first down, because of the penalty (offsides, Wake) on the first attempt at the kick.

If App recovers the ball on the field of play, would it be their ball at the place of recovery?

That's a good question. My (probably wrong) understanding is once the kicker kicks it, as long as the defense recovers it, the ball has changed possessions.

App fans were generally nice that we encountered. But the collective fan base didn't seem to understand football at times. They thought they had a first down on a 1st and 20 that gained 8 yards. And of course them thinking they got another shot after the celebration penalty was comical.

They dont. My Cousin who graduated from App and barely knows a football from a baseball posted on Instagram, "At least we know we didn't have to cheat to win." I could've gotten real ugly and personal in a reply, but got to keep the family peace.

Dom 9 for 45.3 avg. really solid day. If he has a bad day, this game turns out differently.

For the rules geeks: Does the ball automatically go to the defense after a FG try, that is blocked like that and stays in the field of play? App kicked on first down, because of the penalty (offsides, Wake) on the first attempt at the kick.

If App recovers the ball on the field of play, would it be their ball at the place of recovery?

If the kick goes beyond the line of scrimmage, as long as the defense doesn't touch it, the ball is dead there and the defense's possession. If the blocked kick stays behind the line of scrimmage, the kicking team can advance it and I believe as long as they don't advance past the line of scrimmage would be able to attempt another kick if it was not 4th down on the play (though I've never seen that happen before).

Last edited:

I think only if the ball hasn't crossed the LOS. In which case they can recover and have another down? However, the clock would run out in this instance.

This may not have been a great job by the Deacs, It wasn't too long ago that victories were hard to come by. Enjoy this and remember, CAROLINA STINKS!

Interesting that when we needed a field goal to win it we went fake run 3rd down, short throw to convert and eventually take the lead. With the lead, we ran it in the same scenario and kicked it away. Would have looked a lot smarter if we don't commit pass interference on 4th and forever when we had perfect coverage, but oh well. Or we throw an incompletion and they have 40 extra seconds and end up kicking from 20 yards closer and we lose.

Who the hell knows, we won. Survive and advance. Either way it was a gritty performance against a solid team in a tough atmosphere.

Was the ESPN3 feed pretty bad for everyone else? It seemed like >50% of the time, it was stuttering and pausing. Made it really hard to watch.

Also, why did we throw long so much today? It seemed like the few times we threw 5-15 yard passes, things went well. We took so many long shots, and hardly any of them were caught.

My feed was perfect today. I use Roku. Second half of BC was the only time I have had issues.

With Wofford's feet you don't even necessarily have to throw the ball going back to pass. He breaks the pocket and very welcome Scramble for a first down. You got to play to win

Still not sure what we have, but I watched a fair amount of App v Ga, and App hung in there pretty well for a while before Ga wore them down and dominated. Ga is very good. I think our game plan was to run the ball and control the clock, but sadly we couldn't run against them. OLine still clearly has issues. I think we need to run the hurry up a lot from here on out, and use the pass/pace to open up some running lanes for the backs. We've got good backs and WR's, but we should have realized trying to run it down App's throat wasn't working and moved away from it before 2nd half when it was too late. Got lucky. Love Clawson, but this was a poorly coached game, period. Hate saying that, but it was.

Still not sure what we have, but I watched a fair amount of App v Ga, and App hung in there pretty well for a while before Ga wore them down and dominated. Ga is very good. I think our game plan was to run the ball and control the clock, but sadly we couldn't run against them. OLine still clearly has issues. I think we need to run the hurry up a lot from here on out, and use the pass/pace to open up some running lanes for the backs. We've got good backs and WR's, but we should have realized trying to run it down App's throat wasn't working and moved away from it before 2nd half when it was too late. Got lucky. Love Clawson, but this was a poorly coached game, period. Hate saying that, but it was.

Phil Haynes being out hurt up front. Did Hines play today, if he did I never saw him?

Back