• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball" Premieres Feb. 7 on ACC Network

Gannon has done well. Very good on golf telecasts.

Really unique career arc for Gannon. Key player on NC State's national championship team, and he was a legit player, he led the nation in 3 point shooting % in 1983. Plays briefly in Europe and then serves as a grad assistant under Valvano before going into broadcasting. You would think that his future would been as a college basketball color announcer. After initially working as a color announcer for Jefferson Pilot and then as a play by play guy (that alone is rare for a former player to do play by play). Gannon branches out to broadcast golf, figure skating, college football, horse racing, Olympics, World Cup, Little League WS. As a wide a range of work as anyone other than Mike Tirico, and Gannon is a natural at all of them. All of the credit in the world to him.

Really unique career arc for Gannon. Key player on NC State's national championship team, and he was a legit player, he led the nation in 3 point shooting % in 1983. Plays briefly in Europe and then serves as a grad assistant under Valvano before going into broadcasting. You would think that his future would been as a college basketball color announcer. After initially working as a color announcer for Jefferson Pilot and then as a play by play guy (that alone is rare for a former player to do play by play). Gannon branches out to broadcast golf, figure skating, college football, horse racing, Olympics, World Cup, Little League WS. As a wide a range of work as anyone other than Mike Tirico, and Gannon is a natural at all of them. All of the credit in the world to him.

Plus he said Valvano told him to go the broadcasting route instead of the Euro basketball career.

Had my 13 year old daughter who loves the Deacs watch that so she could finally understand why Randolph Childress is so important and beloved by Wake Forest fans. Will never forget that tournament and how every time he took a shot you couldn’t help but believe it was going in.

I'm glad that they gave a lot of attention to the Duke game in the 95 tourney. I agree with Mac McDonald- it is the greatest run that I have ever scene. And Dan Collins was right in stating that RC had the greatest ACC Tourney performance ever.

Yes the best episode but could’ve done without the sucking off of Dean the last 10 minutes.

Yeah. But at the same time in that hour long episode they basically have 4 "segments" and they devoted 2 of the 4 to Wake and only 1 to Dean, even though 97 was his last tourney ever.

Gminski looks like a Tim Heidecker character in his interviews.

Obviously the best episode

They really gave short shrift to the '96 championship and Duncan's performance in it. They quickly mentioned his 27 pts/22 rebounds in the finals but that was it. I can't find his stats from the other games but I remember that the '96 tourney was Duncan's kind of like the '95 tourney belonged to Childress - and they didn't give it that treatment at all.

Was extremely lucky to attend all 3 games that weekend in '95 in primo seats in the lower bowl.

One of my favorite parts of the "crossover" was that douchebag Charlie McNairy's reaction from the UNC bench. Fuck that guy.

Glad they spent some time on the '94 tourney meltdown against UNC as we could easily be talking about back-to-back-to-back titles from '94 - '96.

They really gave short shrift to the '96 championship and Duncan's performance in it. They quickly mentioned his 27 pts/22 rebounds in the finals but that was it. I can't find his stats from the other games but I remember that the '96 tourney was Duncan's kind of like the '95 tourney belonged to Childress - and they didn't give it that treatment at all.

https://danbock.net/bball/boxlines/WFU/1996

68 points on 26-44 shooting, 48 rebounds, 12 blocks, 11 assists, 118 minutes played

Was extremely lucky to attend all 3 games that weekend in '95 in primo seats in the lower bowl.

One of my favorite parts of the "crossover" was that douchebag Charlie McNairy's reaction from the UNC bench. Fuck that guy.

Glad they spent some time on the '94 tourney meltdown against UNC as we could easily be talking about back-to-back-to-back titles from '94 - '96.

the 1994 implosion definitely made the 1995 title much sweeter

Fuck Dante Calabria.

Back