• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball" Premieres Feb. 7 on ACC Network

Scoreboard call 🤬🤬🤬 Wish we would go back to those 1975 uniforms.

Games like this are why older guys like me hate UNC more than Duke. UNC hate was well earned back in the day and I will never forget.

So, are the previously broadcast episodes available on demand? I've looked and can't find any listing. I did enjoy installments 5 and 6 tonight.

So, are the previously broadcast episodes available on demand? I've looked and can't find any listing. I did enjoy installments 5 and 6 tonight.

They are running 2-6 tomorrow at 3pm est (no idea why they aren't doing #1 as well).

Then 1-6 starting 2/25 at 11pm est

That would be on the ACCN

Speaking of Bob Dwyer, I attended the freshman game when he was our lone scholarship freshman against NCSU with Thompson and Towe. The old coliseum was packed to see DT (freshman game was played immediately prior to the varsity game) and WF stalled and the score was something like 10-6 with 2 minutes left, when we began playing ball because we were behind. Thompson got into a fight with a WF scrub in the first half and was ejected.

George Knox was no "scrub." He was a non-scholarship starter on that Freshman team.

Later won multiple championships as the QB of the LXA football team.

Also, Bobby Dwyer was a year ahead of Thompson.

Last edited:
George Knox was no "scrub." He was a non-scholarship starter on that Freshman team.

Not knocking George Knox, but when it comes to 70's WFU Knox's, Knox White > George Knox.

I've really enjoyed the series. It's also reminded me awful Dean's attempt to destroy basketball via the four corners was and how, for some reason, historians give him a pass on that s***.

Regarding Dean and 4 corners I am pretty sure I recall a game against Duke that was something like 7-0 at half….

I'm watching episode 2 now. It is striking to see the up and down basketball of the 50s and 60s before Norm Sloan pulled his slow down bullshit to win 12-10.

I stand corrected. A non-scholarship player (not a scrub) got in a fight with Thompson and perhaps Phil Perry was the lone freshman scholarship player in 1971-72. I was a freshman in high school at the time and my recollection of that game is very limited. I wonder if Knox was encouraged by his coach to provoke that fight. Lol.

Random thought, the payers they interview all look sharp and well presented, the journalists sort of look like they just rolled out of bed.

And it's always strange to realize that Terry Gannon is the voice of Olympic figure skating.

Random thought, the payers they interview all look sharp and well presented, the journalists sort of look like they just rolled out of bed.

And it's always strange to realize that Terry Gannon is the voice of Olympic figure skating.

Gannon has done well. Very good on golf telecasts.

Alley Hart has the best interviews I’ve seen of a former player. He is a great story teller.

I stand corrected. A non-scholarship player (not a scrub) got in a fight with Thompson and perhaps Phil Perry was the lone freshman scholarship player in 1971-72. I was a freshman in high school at the time and my recollection of that game is very limited. I wonder if Knox was encouraged by his coach to provoke that fight. Lol.

Flip was indeed the scholarship player on that team. I must also admit a memory reset. I think I said that Tony Byers' first game was against American U.
I agree with whoever said that the championship game was against Alabama, but I can't remember whom we played in the first game. Maybe GW.

Knox and Thompson dove on the floor for a loose ball and got a little tangled up. That started it. The funny thing was that about 5 people came out to check Thompson, including a couple from the stands whom I presumed to be doctors. The trainer checked on George.

The reason I remember American is that is the team that Charlie Davis hung 51 on (to break Chappell's record) in C.D.'s sophomore year.

Last edited:
Enjoying the series. Has brought back many memories. Most of this series has focused on the Holes and Duke, NC State. Last two series UVA & Md. It is sad there was little coverage of the Skip Brown, Jerry Schellenburg era. No mention of Tacy nor Rod Griffin and the '77 team. Little known story was when Rod Griffin who was from Fairmont, NC being recruited, he was under the radar from most of the recruiting services. A Wake alum from the late 60's who also called Fairmont home contacted Carl Tacy and told him he needed to take a look at Griffin. Tacy made several trips to Fairmont, signed Griffin and the rest is history. In the early 80's this alum was a business associate of mine and I still remember the photos and letters of appreciation he received for steering Griffin to Wake. On one trip to his office, Griffin who was playing in Europe at the time was visiting and I had the opportunity to spend the afternoon with those two. Heard some great stories and cherish the memories now. My friend still laughs about how mad Dean Smith was that he was late in trying to recruit him.

Back