• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Two Decades Prior to Buzz

So we averaged over 20 years a season in the 20 years before [Redacted] and [Redacted] averaged 20 losses in 3 seasons.

Unreal.

So we averaged over 20 years a season in the 20 years before [Redacted] and [Redacted] averaged 20 losses in 3 seasons.

Unreal.

It is unreal. VT, would you be interested in adding a section to firebz.com with stats from the 2 decades prior to buzz. It seems that we need to remind our own fans about the level of success we were having and the trajectory we were on. This basketball irrelevance LOWF thing is a myth akin to the culture change shit. I think maybe an expansion to the positives of Wakes RECENT history might do some good.

I don't know why I was even over there or why I care, but I stumbled upon this post from TOB:

That seems to be the fear around here but I'm not sure I understand it. We weren't as relevant before Bz...everyone's favorite second team. Not being good isn't really on anyone else's radar, we're sort of just forgotten. Call that LOWF but it's the reality of things IMO.

And from a bball perspective, I think we have some really solid players coming into the program so recruiting hasn't taken the huge hit that some other teams that go into oblivion get trapped by, like when NCSU took a 10 year hiatus. Devin is NBA talent. We know Mitchell is as well. How are we going back to the 'dark ages' of Wake bball? I think we went back about as far as we can go and are moving up.

I guess I just can't take the LOWF thing. I don't even remember how to log on there anymore, but could someone please post the OP of this thread and the link to the following. Seriously, if our fans can't even remember how relevant we were for 20+ years we have no hope of getting any better now. Thanks.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192&f=1118&t=11388895&p=1
I posted that so feel free to name call and neg rep me if you want. The funny thing to me about all this losing is the amount of excitement people thought was there about Wake from opposing fan bases when we were winning. I can't tell you how many people have told me....I just realized Wake isn't playing well....THIS year after 3 years. My next door neighbor is hooked into the NCSU "big donors", including the billionaire pig farmer himself who I've talked to at parties. He went to a Bz talk and came back and RAVED about him (while we were watching Wake get crushed in football)....again that was THIS year. I have friends (duke and UNC fans primarily) telling me Wake bball was never good anyway and they mean it sincerely. All of those 20 win seasons and tourny appearances mean squat to them. We just can't hide from the fact we have a small fanbase that people like but never really fear.

But the ultimate irony......several years ago when a few people were touting all those records in the tourny, the board "narrative" then was they were meaningless because of all the early exits. They said a good program like we "should" be meant winning in the post-season, therefore we weren't succesful. Someone even posted the study were we were the WORST post-season team since 1990 because of our high seeds and epic exits. Now....the same records are being touted as greatness and success by some of the same people. Flip flopping galore. Seems to be the trend around here.

I posted that so feel free to name call and neg rep me if you want. The funny thing to me about all this losing is the amount of excitement people thought was there about Wake from opposing fan bases when we were winning. I can't tell you how many people have told me....I just realized Wake isn't playing well....THIS year after 3 years. My next door neighbor is hooked into the NCSU "big donors", including the billionaire pig farmer himself who I've talked to at parties. He went to a Bz talk and came back and RAVED about him (while we were watching Wake get crushed in football)....again that was THIS year. I have friends (duke and UNC fans primarily) telling me Wake bball was never good anyway and they mean it sincerely. All of those 20 win seasons and tourny appearances mean squat to them. We just can't hide from the fact we have a small fanbase that people like but never really fear.

But the ultimate irony......several years ago when a few people were touting all those records in the tourny, the board "narrative" then was they were meaningless because of all the early exits. They said a good program like we "should" be meant winning in the post-season, therefore we weren't succesful. Someone even posted the study were we were the WORST post-season team since 1990 because of our high seeds and epic exits. Now....the same records are being touted as greatness and success by some of the same people. Flip flopping galore. Seems to be the trend around here.

This was good for a laugh. Thank you.

I'm going to guess that pourman is just trolling and doesn't honestly believe that there is only great and horrifically bad in college basketball. That will save me from having to write out a response.

Odom stood toe to toe with Coach K and Dean Smith for a decade or so. He never should have been let go. He had one epic fail in all those years, against Butler in 2001. Not giving Odom an extension and allowing him to leave for SC was Wellman's first big mistake.

It's called perspective. It's true we underperformed to seed and it was very frustrating. The fact that we were able to get to that point after the Staak era shows that Wake is capable of being a contender, relevant in college basketball. Sometimes shit doesn't go your way like Randolph catching the flu, Rutland blowing out his ACL. To see how diluted the ACC is now - there is no way the ACC is anywhere near the conference it was in the 80's and 90's and how irrelevant we are in conference play is absurd. Wellman and Buzzdick have taken our flagship program to a whole new level of suckitude. Compared to where we are now, underachieving in the NCAA seems like forever ago and almost a return to a desired state. At least then, there was hope. These asshats have created a dumpster fire that will make the Les Robinson era at State seem like a success. If Wellman's goals are to lower the expectations of the fan base and drive people away with shitty ass basketball, then kudos to him, job well done.

I have loved WFU basketball for over 30 years. I was at Wake during the Staak era and missed 1 home game in my four years. What Wellman and Buzzdick have done to this program sickens me. It's disgusting. I can barely stand to watch games because our strategy and fundamentals are so flawed. The only way win is if the other team is sleepwalking, which they do now.

Given what Wellman has done, it may come down to a fact that a top notch head coach wouldn't want to work for and AD like Wellman. Especially if he fired a successful coach like Dave Odom and we know what he did to Dino, and where that has gotten a once proud basketball program.

I went to State and I remember when Wake was the number 3 team in this state. I remember them beating Duke and Carolina, holding serve at home and doing very well in the ACC tourney.

I will never forget when Wellman fired Dino and asking myself, "Does he realize he has just given up Wake's position as the number three team in the state of North Carolina?"

I knew what you guys were getting in buzz. This man has only had two winning seasons as a college head coach, and that was at Air Force with somebody else's players. Heck, he's only had three winning seasons in his entire coaching career, college and pros.

I should be happy about this but, I'm not. I grew up in the ACC and went to an ACC school. I know how good Wake was in basketball and it makes me angry to see what Wellman has done to this program.

Some have said that Wake will be winning in the next two to three years. That maybe true but, the gap between Wake and everybody else may already be too wide to fill.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is LOWF.

So you don't accuse me of flip-flopping: I would like a coach who improves on the success of Odom, Skip, and Dino. Buzz is an embarrassment, even if your pig-farmer friend likes him.

How many ACC tourney wins does wake have in the past 25 years without a) Duncan playing or b) Prosser coaching? LOWF.

How many ACC tourney wins does wake have in the past 25 years without a) Duncan playing or b) Prosser coaching? LOWF.

Not sure your point. You just took 10 years out with one of our best coaches and the greatest PF of all time. I think the point is to have good coaches and good players and win regular season and tournament games.

Oh, and I guess you extended to 25 years to include Staak?

Point is the idea is to get better. We needed to get better than we were the past 20 years. We did not do that with Buzz. This was predictable because Buzz was not an ACC caliber hire...a successful ACC hire, anyway.

For all our postseason woes prior to buzz we still won more postseason games in the twenty years prior to buzz than he has won total at wake.

We went 37-35 in the postseason in the 20 seasons prior to buzz.

Buzz has won 34 games total at wake.

I'd gladly trade going back to high seeds and early exits, right about now.

Losing as a high seed sucks - not making the tournament sucks more.

For all our postseason woes prior to buzz we still won more postseason games in the twenty years prior to buzz than he has won total at wake.

We went 37-35 in the postseason in the 20 seasons prior to buzz.

Buzz has won 34 games total at wake.

farnsworth-planet.jpg

Fuck, I used to give my brother so much shit for Northwestern constantly retaining Bill Carmody as their head coach and now I'm having nightmares of Wake doing the same thing with Buzz. Oh well, three years down, ten more miserable years to go!

Bz is the best thing that has happened to legacies of Odom, Skip and Dino.

Heck, people are actually fondly remembering Staak.

That's how bad this is.

Back