• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Wire

lokisapocalypse

The Pumpfaker
Reaction score
I never watched The Wire when it first came on but got in to it recently since its on Amazon Prime. I think the show fell off a bit once the Barksdale storyline had wrapped up. And the way Omar died was kind of cheap. I get why it was done that way, but it just fell like a cop out to me.

I like the twist that Michael becomes the new Omar in the end but I had a hard time buying Dukie becoming the new bubs. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't really done well.

Clay Davis always made me laugh with his, "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" in every scene he was in. I was a little disappointed that they didn't make more of the congressmen taking drug money.

The last season spent way too much time focusing on the newspaper.

That said, its probably my favorite HBO series behind Game of Thrones.

hqg-65.gif

Great series, though The Shield was better in my book because of a superior final season.

----------
Tapatalk.

You can see the Dukie spiral start, and its definitely a thing

Loved the Wire, actually just finished re watching it a couple weeks ago. So many characters you forget about over 5 seasons because of the deaths/story line changes so it was fun to watch again. I didn't love the newspaper angle as much either but enjoyed the last season with all the other characters story lines.

Anywhere to watch this other then Amazon?

I was in the same boat (never watched it, then binged with Prime). It was great theater watching seasons 4 & 5 while Martin O'Malley was still running for POTUS.

I thought the final season fell a little flat as well. I also don't understand why people didn't like season 2. I loved the Sobotka stuff. Sure, it's not as good as seasons 1/3/4, but still good nonetheless.

I never watched The Wire when it first came on but got in to it recently since its on Amazon Prime. I think the show fell off a bit once the Barksdale storyline had wrapped up. And the way Omar died was kind of cheap. I get why it was done that way, but it just fell like a cop out to me.

I like the twist that Michael becomes the new Omar in the end but I had a hard time buying Dukie becoming the new bubs. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't really done well.

Clay Davis always made me laugh with his, "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" in every scene he was in. I was a little disappointed that they didn't make more of the congressmen taking drug money.

The last season spent way too much time focusing on the newspaper.

That said, its probably my favorite HBO series behind Game of Thrones.

The Season 4 arc is what ultimately turned me off of the show. Marlo v. Omar, Marlo's expanding operation, and the mayoral electoral were all well executed, but the school plot, Simon's cringeworthy politicking, and using the kids as a narrative device didn't do much for me outside of providing a gloss over inconsistent storytelling post-Stringer/D'Angelo/Avon/Hamsterdam/port-development. I understand why people like it and I can't really fault them for liking it, but I still feel like it was pretty lazy writing on a show that (rightfully) made its name on bucking narrative conventions and some exceptional plotting and dialogue.

I was in the same boat (never watched it, then binged with Prime). It was great theater watching seasons 4 & 5 while Martin O'Malley was still running for POTUS.

I thought the final season fell a little flat as well. I also don't understand why people didn't like season 2. I loved the Sobotka stuff. Sure, it's not as good as seasons 1/3/4, but still good nonetheless.

Season 2 is dope. 1-3 are great TV. Like I wrote above, I still think 4 is really overrated, but with enough good to make it solid. 5 is a pretty embarrassing conclusion to an otherwise great show. I can't really think of much that the season did well, outside of serving as David Simon's smug middle finger to his former employer.

The Shield ends in a remarkably similar way, but somehow feels more realistic in its lack of self-congratulation. Plus, The Shield levied a brutal critique against civil asset forfeiture (season 4) nearly a decade before Jon Oliver's rant went viral.

Last edited:
Season 2 was just not as well-received because the shift from season 1 was so jarring. Looking back, it is a pretty entertaining season. Great show. I binge watched it about 2 years ago... Took me a lot less time than it probably should have given work and family and stuff.

5 is a pretty embarrassing conclusion to an otherwise great show. I can't really think of much that the season did well, outside of serving as David Simon's smug middle finger to his former employer.

The funeral scene is probably the best television endings I've seen.

I have a pretty poor memory, but the final scenes that stick out are Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development (Season 3), and a few other recent sitcoms.

Twin Peaks is the mirror scene, Breaking Bad is Baby Blue.....remind me how season three of AD ends.

AD is the boat scene where it's revealed Anyong is behind taking the Bluths down and Michael and George Michael escape on the C-Word.

Back