• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Wire

If you overlook the miserable "interns" season (and you should), Scrubs had a fantastic final scene.

I was in the same boat (never watched it, then binged with Prime). It was great theater watching seasons 4 & 5 while Martin O'Malley was still running for POTUS.

I thought the final season fell a little flat as well. I also don't understand why people didn't like season 2. I loved the Sobotka stuff. Sure, it's not as good as seasons 1/3/4, but still good nonetheless.

Season 5 fell off because there was a writer's strike that year. They wrote the inital scripts but couldn't do any refining. Several other shows fell victim to that the same year - Friday Night Lights season 2 is probably the best example.

I liked season 2 just fine. It was different, not as good as the Barksdale storylines, but good on its own and set up the Greek.

I also had a hard time reconciling Marlo convincing Chris to plead guilty to 23 murders while he gets to walk free. I know Chris was loyal and all that but that just didn't sit well with me.

Season 5 fell off because there was a writer's strike that year. They wrote the inital scripts but couldn't do any refining. Several other shows fell victim to that the same year - Friday Night Lights season 2 is probably the best example.

also only eight episodes so the pacing was off

I guess this will become the annual "rank the seasons of the Wire" thread? Love it.

3/1/4/2/5 for me.

I'm probably still most partial to Season 1

Season 5 is pretty clearly the weakest, but do we really think what McNulty did in Season 5 is that much crazier than what Bunny Colvin did in Season 3? Both were pretty reckless and extreme ideas to try to prove a point about how law enforcement operates

I'm probably still most partial to Season 1

Season 5 is pretty clearly the weakest, but do we really think what McNulty did in Season 5 is that much crazier than what Bunny Colvin did in Season 3? Both were pretty reckless and extreme ideas to try to prove a point about how law enforcement operates

It is in the sense that if they got caught, the whole department could be fucked. If one cop is basically fabricating shit, then EVERY defense attorney will use that in court to get their client off.

I thought season 5 was weak less because of that and more because of the over focus on the newspaper and not feeling how well things tied up.

I think for me, I would rank them as 1 / 3 / 2 / 4 / 5

I waffle between 4/3/1/2/5 and 3/4/1/2/5.

I'll say I like 2 a lot more in hindsight than while watching.

Yeah. Season 2 is a lot better the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time around.

Season 5 is clearly last by a large margin but I think the other 4 are all pretty great and don't know if I could rank them.

Back