• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The World Health Organization calls for decriminalization of most drugs

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
http://www.economist.com/blogs/newsbook/2014/07/illicit-drugs

JAMAICA, Uruguay, Colorado, Washington—more and more places are rebelling against the UN conventions that established the criminalisation of narcotics half a century ago. But the latest organisation to weigh in against the UN’s line is rather surprising. It is a branch of the UN itself.

A report just published by the World Health Organisation, an agency of the United Nations, makes a discreet but clear call to decriminalise drugs. And not just cannabis—the report goes as far as recommending the decriminalisation of injecting drugs, which implies the harder sort.

The call comes in a new report on how to prevent, diagnose and treat HIV among “key populations”, including drug users. Have a look at page 91 (page 113 of the PDF). Under “Good practice recommendations concerning decriminalization”, the WHO recommends that for people who use or inject drugs:

- Countries should work toward developing policies and laws that decriminalize injection and other use of drugs and, thereby, reduce incarceration.- Countries should work toward developing policies and laws that decriminalize the use of clean needles and syringes (and that permit NSPs [needle and syringe programmes]) and that legalize OST [opioid substitution therapy] for people who are opioid-dependent.- Countries should ban compulsory treatment for people who use and/or inject drugs.
This is all rather different from the line taken by the UN’s 1988 convention (see page 3, or page 12 of the PDF), which states that:

Subject to its constitutional principles and the basic concepts of its legal system, each Party shall adopt such measures as may be necessary to establish as a criminal offence under its domestic law, when committed intentionally, the possession, purchase or cultivation of narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances for personal consumption.
So there you have it: the UN’s long-standing policy of criminalising drug use should be overturned—according to the UN. Clear enough?

Link to full report - http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/128048/1/9789241507431_eng.pdf?ua=1&ua=1

decrimininalization keeps the revenue going to drug lords. legalization allows for regulation and taxation. silly to argue for just decriminalization. full legalization is a better idea.

Full legalization without taxation is an even better idea. There is no need for politicians to dictate what mentally competent adults are permitted to eat, drink, smoke or inject.

Full legalization without taxation is an even better idea. There is no need for politicians to dictate what mentally competent adults are permitted to eat, drink, smoke or inject.

This is as batshit crazy as making taxes on the honor system or optional payment.

decrimininalization keeps the revenue going to drug lords. legalization allows for regulation and taxation. silly to argue for just decriminalization. full legalization is a better idea.

Decent point but the WHO is really only interested in the health implications of drug policy, not the political or economic.

If taxes were on the honor system you would pay $0.

Unlike you, I believe taxes are necessary for a civilized society. Your concepts about taxes are childish and irrational.

Unlike you, I believe taxes are necessary for a civilized society. Your concepts about taxes are childish and irrational.

If you truly believe that taxes are necessary for a civilized society you don't need a deceitful bitch like Lois Lerner using a gun on you. Absent the IRS a generous compassionate man like you would gladly write out a check and send it in.

There is ZERO evidence that Lois Lerner is anything but honest. We have thousands of pages of testimony showing what happened and who was personally involved in the IRS non-scandal.

Once again you show it's YOU who wouldn't pay taxes if not forced to. It's you who are greedy and don't wish to have a modern, industrialized society. It's you who has no clue how the world works.

Show everyone that you are not greedy, RJ. Admit that you would happily pay taxes voluntarily to support a modern, industrialized society.

Show everyone that you are not greedy, RJ. Admit that you would happily pay taxes voluntarily to support a modern, industrialized society.

I've stated it clearly.

The reality is your principles are insane and unworkable.

You wouldn't pay. not only wouldn't you pay, your cowardice is quite evident in your premise that it's wrong to be arrested and jailed for not paying.

No one forces me to tithe. No one forces me to pay Deacon Club dues. I'm pretty sure you are not the only person who is willing to pay the cost of what they want.

Living in a society means you often do things you don't want to do for yourself. There are millions of people in American paying real estate taxes that don't have kids in school.

Your position on taxes and government are moronic.

dmcheat rejoices... pm for your pos rep.

but yeah, legalize not decriminalize.

Living in a society means you often do things you don't want to do for yourself. There are millions of people in American paying real estate taxes that don't have kids in school.

Your position on taxes and government are moronic.

Of course. That is why there are faith-based and non faith-based nongovernment schools. That is why there is a Harvard and a Wake Forest. There is no need to force me to pay for my neighbor to send his kid to UNC.

Which shows how insane you are and how outrageous your position is.

Back