• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The World Health Organization calls for decriminalization of most drugs

We're_trying_to_live_in_a_socity_here.png

I know that's just a cute little meme that gets everyone jazzed up and excited about opposing welfare, but the word "steal" generally indicates that you're doing something unlawfully which I think we all agree is not the case with taxes going towards welfare.

The tjcmd "using a gun" metaphor for government doing stuff he doesn't like is so classic.

I know that's just a cute little meme that gets everyone jazzed up and excited about opposing welfare, but the word "steal" generally indicates that you're doing something unlawfully which I think we all agree is not the case with taxes going towards welfare.

This is an important point. If I come over to your house and tell you to give me $5 while I hold a gun to your head, you would call that stealing. But if I tell you that I am from the IRS it is all of a sudden your "societal obligation" to give me the $5. This is where we fundamentally disagree. I think it is legalized theft and should be used very, very sparingly only for the constitutional functions of government whereas you seem to think that because it is legal it is moral and can be used to finance things like the war on drugs or financing both sides in a war between two foreign countries.

Ayo jhmd, tjcmd is coming for you! King Tunnels Troll hot seat!

I believe taxes can be used within the scope that they are allowed by law. I didn't know that was a strange view. I think it's perfectly moral, perhaps even an imperative of many major religions, to have society finance issues like welfare.

I believe taxes can be used within the scope that they are allowed by law. I didn't know that was a strange view. I think it's perfectly moral, perhaps even an imperative of many major religions, to have society finance issues like welfare.

Well it certainly is not a strange view. But if you are ok with taxing for one unconstitutional purpose you will find yourself being taxed for other unconstitutional purposes with which you don't necessarily agree. Much better to use your resources voluntarily so you can direct them where you want them to go rather than having them usurped for, say, killing innocent children.

Well it certainly is not a strange view. But if you are ok with taxing for one unconstitutional purpose you will find yourself being taxed for other unconstitutional purposes with which you don't necessarily agree. Much better to use your resources voluntarily so you can direct them where you want them to go rather than having them usurped for, say, killing innocent children.

What unconstitutional purpose am I okay with taxing?

They're both just true believers who are really good at trolling, but also happen to believe the shit they're saying.

If you only want to interact with people who agree with you put me on ignore and stop sending me negreps every day.

It's all well and good to complain that your tax dollars are being used for purposes you don't like. Before you equate "I don't like it" with "unconstitutional", it would probably be wise to reflect on the fact that the US Constitution set up a representative system of government, your duly elected representatives chose to tax you for these things, and they all rest on over 200 years of constitutional jurisprudence (by courts created by Article III of the US Constitution) that has approved most of them as, in fact, being constitutional. No doubt tj and his arch-libertarian friends, with their direct mind-link to the Founding Fathers, have a much better idea of what is "constitutional" than the Constitutionally-created groups I just listed - or maybe not, and a little perspective and humility is in order.

If you only want to interact with people who agree with you put me on ignore and stop sending me negreps every day.

If I only wanted to interact with people with whom I agreed, I certainly wouldn't read a political discussion forum filled with Wake Forest fans.

I am definitely of the Hamiltonian mindset that the General Welfare clause should be broadly construed and is not derived from attaching itself to another enumerated right. Constitutionally, the federal government has the power to tax for the general welfare. The lone constitutional question here is whether or not the tax is for the general welfare IMO. In the present case, I think it's quite clear that taxes going towards "welfare" fall within the "general welfare" of the United States. Is it not?

Back