• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The World Wars on History Channel

Set to DVR this afternoon and watching now. Very interesting.

How did the British soldier know he had Hitler in his sights?

i'm totally butt cised to watch this, interested to see how much they'll be able to squeeze into 6 hrs esp. with all the reenactment stuff

How did the British soldier know he had Hitler in his sights?

My same exact question

My first assumption was the mustache, but the Chaplin mustache was pretty widespread then. I'll try to research it today.

Overall a great episode. I learned a handful of new facts. I never knew Lenin was a German plant.

History on the History Channel?

This. Just like MTV doesn't do music much anymore, the HC has evolved into mostly reality-type programming; nice to know they still sneak quality stuff like this in every now and again.

My first assumption was the mustache, but the Chaplin mustache was pretty widespread then. I'll try to research it today.

Overall a great episode. I learned a handful of new facts. I never knew Lenin was a German plant.

Cliff notes of what I was able to find so far.

Hitler saw the news stories of Tandey being awarded the Victoria Cross and recognized the soldier as being the one who didn't fire at him. Tandey was a minor celebrity after the war, and a painting of him carrying a wounded solider from the battlefield was commissioned. Hitler got wind of the painting and purchased a print to be displayed in his office.

During the Munich Agreement negotiations before WWII, Neville Chamberlain saw the painting and asked Hitler about it. He pointed to Tandey and again said he was the soldier that didn't fire on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Tandey

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/454558/The-man-who-didn-t-shoot-Hitler

wasn't a big fan of EP1; typical of the HC it was a sweepingly dumbed down/reductionist approach to the history of the wars, particularly WWI. I know it's a pretty big topic so what can you do. A little disappointing.

Good first episode. WWI, even in just 4 years, is too big to fit into one 2 hour episode. However, I don't think this series is really about the wars but how the wars shaped the major leaders who participated in both. So with that in mind I kind of get the reductionist nature. If you want heavy on details, better get Ken Burns or someone. Personally, I'd like to see more on WWI given the 100 anniversary coming up.

Are these the same guys that did those shows on Carnegie, Rockefeller, Ford, etc.?

I enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes. Given the time restraints, it's not meant to be a sweeping review of both wars. What they're doing with their coverage of WWI is looking at it with an eye toward how it sowed the seeds for WWII from different nations' perspectives and several individuals' perspectives. I hadn't realized Gallipoli was on Churchill. FWIW, and I'm no Mel Gibson fan, but Weir's Gallipoli is 1 of the better war movies I've seen.

Meh. Also hitler speaking English w a German accent is LAME

Terrible series. Amateur hour actors. And a lot of inaccuracies. Ego was not the only reason Hitler went after Stalingrad. The Volga river was a key supply route that needed to be blocked and Hitler was also after oil.

The show seriously said that was the reason? Lololl

Yeah the "expert" said "Stalingrad had no real strategic importance." Then the narrator went on to say something like (paraphrasing) "this was a battle for the conquest of a name...a battle between men." I changed the channel.

Back