• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The World Wars on History Channel

Yeah the "expert" said "Stalingrad had no real strategic importance." Then the narrator went on to say something like (paraphrasing) "this was a battle for the conquest of a name...a battle between men." I changed the channel.

pretty much sums up the History Channel. All you can say is hopefully these shows generate interest in people to read more and learn more about a topic. I know all those shows about tanks and planes of WWII did that for me when the HC first came out.

I wonder if the big H will do another all-day Pawn Stars marathon on June 6th.

I was surprised that they managed to do WWII without one mention of the Patton-Rommel battle in North Africa and also never mentioned Eisenhower in connection with D-Day or the battles for France.

The series creators had their guys national leaders - Roosevelt, Hitler, Stalin, Churchill and Mussolini, and generals - Patton and MacArthur - and made the two wars about them. Never mind that a number of other individuals played a very large role in the wars.

I was surprised that they managed to do WWII without one mention of the Patton-Rommel battle in North Africa and also never mentioned Eisenhower in connection with D-Day or the battles for France.
Apparently Patton had so stained the US military that he wasn't called back into action until the Battle of the Bulge because the Allies got desperate. That eliminates most of the war in France doesn't it?

well, Patton never faced Rommel, so that's probably why they didn't mention it.

Last edited:
Apparently Patton had so stained the US military that he wasn't called back into action until the Battle of the Bulge because the Allies got desperate. That eliminates most of the war in France doesn't it?

Patton was given a (real) command again several months before the Battle of the Bulge.

also, patton was technically integral in the D Day invasion. he was mothballed after Sicily for his behavior but was put in command of the fictional army to distract/mislead the Germans into thinking the invasion would land at Calais, to great effect

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the first two, obviously lots of details missing, but I think it would be a great show to demonstrate the 5th & 6th graders how the Wars started. May not be full of the details, but does a nice job at getting the general idea across and makes it visually entertaining for the average viewer to watch. I wish they had series like this in the 80s. Great war flicks from the 60’s and 70’s but they were all over the board, this set up an easy to follow time line.

I have enjoyed the first two, obviously lots of details missing, but I think it would be a great show to demonstrate the 5th & 6th graders how the Wars started. May not be full of the details, but does a nice job at getting the general idea across and makes it visually entertaining for the average viewer to watch. I wish they had series like this in the 80s. Great war flicks from the 60’s and 70’s but they were all over the board, this set up an easy to follow time line.

LOL!!!

Then put it on PBS or the middle school classroom channel. But don't mislead the average American with gaping holes and inaccuracies. The dumbing down continues. (Idiocracy intro comes to mind).

Agreed, but I think most forget how dumb the average American is when it comes to History. I think this mini series is as good as any to get them started. We have all seen the Leno clips and other Late night hosts asking questions on the street, but here is another video to back up the notion as to how stupid the average American is when it comes to U.S History. (hot bodies, no brains & some are college students).

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3593610634001/watters-world-memorial-day-edition/#sp=show-clips

LOL!!!

Then put it on PBS or the middle school classroom channel. But don't mislead the average American with gaping holes and inaccuracies. The dumbing down continues. (Idiocracy intro comes to mind).

Agreed, but I think most forget how dumb the average American is when it comes to History. I think this mini series is as good as any to get them started. We have all seen the Leno clips and other Late night hosts asking questions on the street, but here is another video to back up the notion as to how stupid the average American is when it comes to U.S History. (hot bodies, no brains & some are college students).

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3593610634001/watters-world-memorial-day-edition/#sp=show-clips

My 10 YO loved it. Some of the violence was tough to watch. But it help give him a solid overview. Hes already asked to get books on MacArthur and Patton. SO thats cool.

My 10 YO loved it. Some of the violence was tough to watch. But it help give him a solid overview. Hes already asked to get books on MacArthur and Patton. SO thats cool.

My 14 year old daughter watched the entire series with me. She loved it.

Watched the last segment last night, and I had forgotten this smokescreen.
Thought it was amazing how many high powered men in the world dropped dead within a few months of one another.
also, patton was technically integral in the D Day invasion. he was mothballed after Sicily for his behavior but was put in command of the fictional army to distract/mislead the Germans into thinking the invasion would land at Calais, to great effect

Back