• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The wrong guy quit first today.

Who is the other guy you're thinking of? Trying to choose between the 3 that popped into my head...

I'm a little worried that this may have saved [Redacted] for another year. King Ron has overlooked "culture" issues with the football program and double downed on Bz so if nothing else this distracts from the Bzdeliking of the bball program.

I'm a little worried that this may have saved [Redacted] for another year. King Ron has overlooked "culture" issues with the football program and double downed on Bz so if nothing else this distracts from the Bzdeliking of the bball program.

If this is the case, wake forest basketball may become dead to me.

I think this actually does the opposite. Wake just lost arguably its best football coach ever, while the flagship basketball program continues to flounder horribly. Whether forced or not, Grobe stated that he resigned due to a lack of results over the last few years. The two sports are not independent of each other so people will compare the two programs. If football is being held one set of standards, people will demand that basketball be held to similar or higher standards due to its past success. [Redacted] will be pressured to produce this season in conference or face an insurmountable tidal wave of pressure for his ouster for similar reasons.

Basically, Wake showed today (through either its AD or its former coach) that wins are still expected at Wake Forest... Well, at least in football.

Bz will be gone, too, if he doesn't at least make the NIT.

Yup, nothing says a successful coach/program like making the NIT and possibly being the 69th best team in the nation!

At least Grobe made a statement and a personal sacrifice for the principle of accountability. Wellman and [Redacted] should follow his example, and they would if they had enough class and cared enough about the university.

[Redacted] will be pressured to produce this season in conference
I think it a bit ridiculous to believe that wasn't the case all along. Wellman giving Bz leeway during the transition is all that happened and the transition is over. But the transition was far worse than most coaching changes due to the lack of fit between Bz and the Dino program he was forced/inserted into...ie coaches, players, recruits. That's why it's taken longer (by ~a year) and why we got so bad.

Wellman also clearly believed Bz to be a Stevens-like coach who can teach up players to be successful as a team. That has to happen for Bz to remain coach and due to the poor transition rather quickly, but Wellman has to give it a reasonable amount of time post-transition for that to happen. That's what's in play. I think there is a lot of pressure this year to succeed. We'll see.

This bball situation is going to turn out way better than most people expect regardless of who the coach is. I wish people would just calm down and stop freaking out.

I don't think people are freaking out. They have just tuned out. Don't believe me? Go to a basketball game at the Joel.

Is there a game going on at the Joel? They are more people at a high school game than the Joel. It is very sad to see.

See quote below From espn today. Wellman and Buzz should read this over and over and over.
This is why the wrong guy quit first yesterday. The other two should have done so.

"It takes a strong man, one who can see past himself and his pride, to admit he might no longer be the right fit at a place where he fit for so long. But Grobe is not like any other coach. He is a man who built relationships with his players, his coaching staff, the administration, boosters, alumni, students, the dining hall staff and just about every single person associated with Wake Forest."

I think it a bit ridiculous to believe that wasn't the case all along. Wellman giving Bz leeway during the transition is all that happened and the transition is over. But the transition was far worse than most coaching changes due to the lack of fit between Bz and the Dino program he was forced/inserted into...ie coaches, players, recruits. That's why it's taken longer (by ~a year) and why we got so bad.

Wellman also clearly believed Bz to be a Stevens-like coach who can teach up players to be successful as a team. That has to happen for Bz to remain coach and due to the poor transition rather quickly, but Wellman has to give it a reasonable amount of time post-transition for that to happen. That's what's in play. I think there is a lot of pressure this year to succeed. We'll see.

This bball situation is going to turn out way better than most people expect regardless of who the coach is. I wish people would just calm down and stop freaking out.

No.

The past three years are not a result of "poor fit" between Bz and the program he inherited. They are a result of Bz being a horrible basketball coach.

Not sure if you are a #culture believer but your "poor fit" theory would contradict any culture related reasons for firing Dino in the first place.

Most people believe that the basketball situation will return to where we were before Buzz eventually (the worry for most is how long that will take. It feels like each year Buzz stays exponentially adds to that time). We are Wake fans, we can handle shitty sports teams. That's not what we are freaking out about.

The freak out is mostly an expression of anger for putting the program in this situation in the first place when it was completely unnecessary and avoidable. People will stop freaking out when they are convinced the people who have destroyed the basketball program over the past 3 years are no longer doing so.

Back