• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The wrong guy quit first today.

People need to stop "freaking out" about a pretty good 3 year stretch of 34 wins and 60 losses. That only happened because of some transition. Or something like that.

People need to stop "freaking out" about a pretty good 3 year stretch of 34 wins and 60 losses. That only happened because of some transition. Or something like that.

Given the recruiting restrictions at Wake 34 wins is really like 34 national championships and that win on the road is like winning the NBA finals. So really [Redacted] is the greatest coach of all time...

Bz will be gone, too, if he doesn't at least make the NIT.

Wellman Logic 2009: Dino is not having enough post season success. In 3 years, he only made the NCAA tournament twice, and only once made it past the first round. Time for us to fire him.

Wellman Logic 2014: Bz made the NIT once in 4 years, progress is being made. He deserves an extension.

...........in what kind of bizarro world does that sort of scenario make sense?

No.

The past three years are not a result of "poor fit" between Bz and the program he inherited. They are a result of Bz being a horrible basketball coach.

Not sure if you are a #culture believer but your "poor fit" theory would contradict any culture related reasons for firing Dino in the first place.
IMO.....

Wellman thought Dino was THE problem with the program...whatever those problems were.

Bz was the "tweak" Wellman spoke of.

IMO he was supposed to come in and coach up the existing players and recruits. Wellman believed Bz to be the basketball version of Grobe and that he could take the program in the 'right way' to the top. Wellman's use of culture was about what was WRONG about Dino and I think it was more personal than anything. Bz came in and used culture in a POSITIVE more general sports way..like he has always done and as does just about every coach in the country. Wellman's use of it to slam Dino then got entwined with Bz's use of it and it started looking like Bz was slamming Prosser...which I really have a had time believing was intended.

Fit with those existing players, recruits, coaches is ABSOLUTELY the #1 reason for the problems we had DURING THE TRANSITION and all the evidence points to it. Bz is about as 180° from Dino as you can get. We ran off the existing players AND Dino's new recruits. The Dino guys didn't respect him but the newer guys do. We changed recruiting targets. Do you seriously think that's due to bad coaching? None of it was coaching. It was fit and the extreme change caused us major problems...regardless of Bz's coaching ability.

Wellman was then forced to accept Bz completely gutting the program....and while it wasn't his intent, I think he was initially happy about it because it vindicated his view of how Dino ran things. It validated Wellman's grand experiment to hire "basketball Grobe"/"poor man's Steven's", but at the same time set things back. He still has to see it through and give Bz a chance with Bz's kids...and it took an extra year to get those in the fold forced by lack of fit.

I think Wellman is on a 1 year delayed time table from normal...so in his mind we're in year 3 of a normal transition. That's what is happening....IMO. It's not cronyism...or Wellman wanting to hire a "stooge". He completely miscalculated but has to see it through because he sold it to the BOD.

This has all been about Wellman hating Dino.

Then he should have just given Dino the "interim" coach tag, since Battle couldn't take it with his wife's illness, and then put together a search committee to get us a real coach afterwards.:mad:

What frustrates me is that after Dino, we could have pretty much picked any coach in America to come to Wake. After Buzz, we are going to have to be very lucky with whomever we choose - established coaches aren't going to come to this program.

IMO.....

Wellman thought Dino was THE problem with the program...whatever those problems were.

IMO he was supposed to come in and coach up the existing players and recruits. Wellman believed Bz to be the basketball version of Grobe and that he could take the program in the 'right way' to the top. Wellman's use of culture was about what was WRONG about Dino and I think it was more personal than anything. Bz came in and used culture in a POSITIVE more general sports way..like he has always done and as does just about every coach in the country. Wellman's use of it to slam Dino then got entwined with Bz's use of it and it started looking like Bz was slamming Prosser...which I really have a had time believing was intended.

Fit with those existing players, recruits, coaches is ABSOLUTELY the #1 reason for the problems we had DURING THE TRANSITION and all the evidence points to it. Bz is about as 180° from Dino as you can get. We ran off the existing players AND Dino's new recruits. The Dino guys didn't respect him but the newer guys do. We changed recruiting targets. Do you seriously think that's due to bad coaching? None of it was coaching. It was fit and the extreme change caused us major problems...regardless of Bz's coaching ability.

Wellman was then forced to accept Bz completely gutting the program....and while it wasn't his intent, I think he was initially happy about it because it vindicated his view of how Dino ran things. It validated Wellman's grand experiment to hire "basketball Grobe"/"poor man's Steven's", but at the same time set things back. He still has to see it through and give Bz a chance with Bz's kids...and it took an extra year to get those in the fold forced by lack of fit.

I think Wellman is on a 1 year delayed time table from normal...so in his mind we're in year 3 of a normal transition. That's what is happening....IMO. It's not cronyism...or Wellman wanting to hire a "stooge". He completely miscalculated but has to see it through because he sold it to the BOD.

My, what a vivid imagination you have!

IMO.....

Oh. Well now that you have explained it with a scenario that is self contradictory and has no basis in fact whatsoever, it makes perfect sense.

LOL... what's sad is many actually believe this.

If not true, it could be because your daddy, Ron Wellman, just pissed off a lot of coaches by firing Dino Gaudio. A lot of bridges were burned with that decision.

Right... The other coaches targeted declined the opportunity because they were pissed off over Dino's firing.

Winter. It's Coming. LMAO.

Wellman Logic 2009: Dino is not having enough post season success. In 3 years, he only made the NCAA tournament twice, and only once made it past the first round. Time for us to fire him.

Wellman Logic 2014: Bz made the NIT once in 4 years, progress is being made. He deserves an extension.

...........in what kind of bizarro world does that sort of scenario make sense?

It makes sense if bzz is your friend and Dino isn't.

Back