• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

There's not a single democrat who thinks comping vacation time is ok?

9 by my count.

Here's my count.

17 states, one article

California - Paid no matter what
Illinois - Paid, can have use it or lose it but employers must give employees chances to use it. So for all intent and purposes, paid without exception.
Indiana - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Louisiana - Paid upon termination (but have to use it within a year or two)
Maryland - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Massachussets - Paid, can have use it or lose it but employers must give employees chances to use it. So for all intent and purposes, paid without exception.
Michigan - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Montana - Paid no matter what
Nebraska - Paid no matter what
New York - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
North Carolina - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
North Dakota - Paid
Ohio - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Oregon - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Rhode Island - Paid without exception if the employee has a year of service
West Virginia - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Wyoming - Paid without exception

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...e-it-or-lose-it-vacation.aspx?Redirected=true

Now I'll just randomly fill in the most populous states not covered above.

Texas - Has flexibility and is pro-employer, but Requires the company to state the policy
Florida - If they give it, they have to pay it
Pennsylvania - If they give it they have to pay it
Ohio - Has to pay it unless policy expressly says its not
Georgia - Up to employers but must be in the policy
Michigan - If employer says in policy they grant vacation, it must be paid out
New Jersey - Paid unless policy says its not
Virginia - Paid no matter what
Washington - Halfway through and finally at the 13th most populous state and the 25th state I've looked at, I've finally found one state where this is an issue.

Using Sampling, therefore I'm assuming 95% of the citizens of the US are covered.

Here's my count.

17 states, one article

California - Paid no matter what
Illinois - Paid, can have use it or lose it but employers must give employees chances to use it. So for all intent and purposes, paid without exception.
Indiana - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Louisiana - Paid upon termination (but have to use it within a year or two)
Maryland - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Massachussets - Paid, can have use it or lose it but employers must give employees chances to use it. So for all intent and purposes, paid without exception.
Michigan - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Montana - Paid no matter what
Nebraska - Paid no matter what
New York - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
North Carolina - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
North Dakota - Paid
Ohio - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Oregon - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Rhode Island - Paid without exception if the employee has a year of service
West Virginia - Paid unless policy expressly says its not
Wyoming - Paid without exception

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...e-it-or-lose-it-vacation.aspx?Redirected=true

Now I'll just randomly fill in the most populous states not covered above.

Texas - Has flexibility and is pro-employer, but Requires the company to state the policy
Florida - If they give it, they have to pay it
Pennsylvania - If they give it they have to pay it
Ohio - Has to pay it unless policy expressly says its not
Georgia - Up to employers but must be in the policy
Michigan - If employer says in policy they grant vacation, it must be paid out
New Jersey - Paid unless policy says its not
Virginia - Paid no matter what
Washington - Halfway through and finally at the 13th most populous state and the 25th state I've looked at, I've finally found one state where this is an issue.

Using Sampling, therefore I'm assuming 95% of the citizens of the US are covered.

"Paid unless the policy says is not" provides no guarantee of payment.

So, according to your list, only 9 states require companies to pay out PTO.

Last edited:
obviously, as it was clearly a law for a long time and only a bullshit majority is overturning it

Also , from the first survey I found 88% of employers are choosing to pay out employees at termination. #nonstory

599c0ea9c9fb0901a4b7fff7ae28379a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so then don't choose not to get paid in lieu of vacation if that's your company's policy. Do we need the government to tell us that?

You should browse /r/legaladvice for a couple days. It's a real eyeopening look at how employers love to dick around employees, especially the low-wage ones.

Payment of overtime is a legal right for those who qualify. It companies followed the law (not even their own policies!) there would be no need for state wage boards. But yet, for some reason, they exist in every state.

i love when you post sensible takes and then sprinkle them with these complete shit bombs

#neverchange

do people not ask "why would someone think this is important enough to make a law in the first place?" when discussing a change/repeal?

If company policy requires you to take overtime-related PTO before standard PTO, it increases your likelihood of losing PTO at year-end. The arrangement is more favorable to those in states that do require paying PTO at year-end.

Palma is correct that in that case, the employee should opt to receive their overtime payment in cash and only use standard PTO. Without some sort of mandate to pay all unused PTO at year-end and/or to exhaust accrued standard PTO before overtime-related PTO (both of which would incentivize the employer to reduce the standard PTO benefit), there will admittedly be an element of gamesmanship that goes along with this that will be company-specific due to varying company policies.

You should browse /r/legaladvice for a couple days. It's a real eyeopening look at how employers love to dick around employees, especially the low-wage ones.

Payment of overtime is a legal right for those who qualify. It companies followed the law (not even their own policies!) there would be no need for state wage boards. But yet, for some reason, they exist in every state.

So instead of relying on data and logic I should go with reddit anecdotes?

If company policy requires you to take overtime-related PTO before standard PTO, it increases your likelihood of losing PTO at year-end. The arrangement is more favorable to those in states that do require paying PTO at year-end.

Palma is correct that in that case, the employee should opt to receive their overtime payment in cash and only use standard PTO. Without some sort of mandate to pay all unused PTO at year-end and/or to exhaust accrued standard PTO before overtime-related PTO (both of which would incentivize the employer to reduce the standard PTO benefit), there will admittedly be an element of gamesmanship that goes along with this that will be company-specific due to varying company policies.

What you call "gamesmanship" is the exact reason why Democrats didn't support this bill. Lots of companies already don't pay out the overtime in cash they are legally required to. Can you imagine how many more are going to try to get away with it once they can start converting those payments in PTO that they track and decide when it can be used and/or expires?

You don't see how this just opens up the system for further abuse?

So instead of relying on data and logic I should go with reddit anecdotes?

If you can provide data that shows that currently 100% of paid overtime benefits are paid out in accordance with the law, I'll concede that this bill won't have any negative consequences.

What you call "gamesmanship" is the exact reason why Democrats didn't support this bill. Lots of companies already don't pay out the overtime in cash they are legally required to. Can you imagine how many more are going to try to get away with it once they can start converting those payments in PTO that they track and decide when it can be used and/or expires?

You don't see how this just opens up the system for further abuse?

If overtime-related PTO "expires" it immediately becomes payable in cash. Under no circumstances will the PTO you earn from working overtime legally expire with zero compensation to you.

Standard PTO is not legally protected. It is a perk that the company offers that is as meaningful as the company's willingness to let you take it.

If they convert the overtime to PTO that they track, there is a record of that time. That record is proof that the employee is due that compensation. Those records do not exist under the current system. In that regard, this is an improvement from the current system that hides abuse.

If you can provide data that shows that currently 100% of paid overtime benefits are paid out in accordance with the law, I'll concede that this bill won't have any negative consequences.

By this logic, you are saying the existing FLSA should not have been passed because some companies will try to skirt the legally required overtime protections.

Back