• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

These guys suck at campaigning

this is terrible. too long as in he doesn't want to because he's lazy (this is bad) or too long like "the american people don't want to know all the details."

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of smart americans who would love to know the details, as it might allow them to make an informed decision. i'm way more put off by his lack of interest in sharing the details (if he even knows what they are). there is no good way to take this sentence, and it's surprising they'd give that answer.

actually, it's not surprising... but it does feed my dislike of them.

IBE, it's not that Ryan is lazy. It's that he knows his numbers don't add up.

it's an L. LBE.

(sorry, that bugs me)

but yeah, it's all just a load of crap anyway.

He also didn't want to explain his belief in media bias.

"“I think it kind of goes without saying that there's definitely a media bias. We've - look, I'm a conservative person, I'm used to media bias. We expected media bias going into this,” said Ryan.

Asked to cite a specific example of media bias, Ryan demurred, instead asserting that most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win.

“I'm not going to go into a tit-for-tat or litigate this thing,” said Ryan. “But as a conservative, I've long believed and long felt that there is inherent media bias. And I think anybody with objectivity would believe that that's the case.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ampaign-missteps-claims-media-bias/?hpt=hp_t1

"“I think it kind of goes without saying that there's definitely a media bias. We've - look, I'm a conservative person, I'm used to media bias. We expected media bias going into this,” said Ryan.

Asked to cite a specific example of media bias, Ryan demurred, instead asserting that most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win.

“I'm not going to go into a tit-for-tat or litigate this thing,” said Ryan. “But as a conservative, I've long believed and long felt that there is inherent media bias. And I think anybody with objectivity would believe that that's the case.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ampaign-missteps-claims-media-bias/?hpt=hp_t1

If you believe it and feel for a long time, it makes it true

Biden is going to dominate this cat.

it's an L. LBE.

(sorry, that bugs me)

but yeah, it's all just a load of crap anyway.

I think he was just eliding the L in Little. You know, because it's like cool. Either that or maybe rj had a typo.

And just remember, it's KeEpEr.

Huh?

He didn't want to explain his media bias?

"most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win."

That might not be an explanation you agree with, but it is a pretty clear explanation. I am not big on the liberal media bias whole thing, but you are just being blind to what you don't want to see. He gives a clear explanation. He might be wrong, he might be right, but don't act like the guy avoided an answer. The majority of the press is liberal compared to conservative. He believes that these media members are more prone to paint the liberal candidates in a better light. Again - it is not provable, but it is a sane opinion that he expressed very clearly.

Some of the chatter against Romney and Paul is Fox News - esque. It is like ya'll are so hell bent on painting them in a certain light you avoid reality.

also clearly the most popular broadcast media sources in this country are of the rightwing persuasion. it's no longer us against them, they are the media just as much as NBC, CNN, etc.

Whenever the statement is made that "the majority of the press is liberal compared to conservative", it is important to remember that in the past 20 years or so (roughly paralleling the formation of the EIB network "America held hostage", Neil Boortz, Michael Savage, etc., during the Clinton Administration).....rightwing talk radio has successfully moved the liberal/conservative demarcation line from midfield down to around the conservatives' 20-yard line in many people's minds. In other words, someone in the media who is on the conservatives' 30-yard line is now classified as "liberal" by these people.

So that statement needs to be taken with many grains of salt.

That is full of crap BKF. I hate fox news, I hate Rush Limbaugh...they are wackos. My baseline is conservative vs. liberal. Are you saying that in your opinion there are more conservatively leaning media members than there are liberal leaning media members? CNN is the best mass news source that we have in this country, and I think it is pretty safe to say that the majority of their personnel leans left. I am not going to make the claim that this effects their ability to do their job in an unbiased manner (that is the claim that Ryan is making), but I think you are putting your head in the sand if you can't recognize that if the scale of conservative to liberal (1 to 10) that there would be more media members above 5 than below it. Just the nature of our educational system and what schools put out the best journalists and have the most journalism majors. Same reason why ESPN is so UNC heavy...UNC does a great job of putting our sports journalists, and so the ESPN makeup reflects that.

Huh?

He didn't want to explain his media bias?

"most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win."

That might not be an explanation you agree with, but it is a pretty clear explanation. I am not big on the liberal media bias whole thing, but you are just being blind to what you don't want to see. He gives a clear explanation. He might be wrong, he might be right, but don't act like the guy avoided an answer. The majority of the press is liberal compared to conservative. He believes that these media members are more prone to paint the liberal candidates in a better light. Again - it is not provable, but it is a sane opinion that he expressed very clearly.

Some of the chatter against Romney and Paul is Fox News - esque. It is like ya'll are so hell bent on painting them in a certain light you avoid reality.

Wrangor, seems like the situation called for specific examples of media bias, not his belief that individuals in media are biased.

As I said, Wrangor, the answer to that question depends upon one's definition of liberal & conservative. Your definition of those terms and someone else's definition may be different. You are making an objective statement based upon a subjective opinion.

I'm willing to bet if you asked the journalists themselves if they viewed themselves as liberals or conservatives, more would say liberal than conservative.

Now, saying that, I think the whole "liberal media" thing is a bunch of crap. There's so much media out there now, no story gets untold. And, as you pointed out, there's plenty of mainstream conservative media for right wingers to get their fix.

I'm willing to bet if you asked the journalists themselves if they viewed themselves as liberals or conservatives, more would say liberal than conservative.

Now, saying that, I think the whole "liberal media" thing is a bunch of crap. There's so much media out there now, no story gets untold. And, as you pointed out, there's plenty of mainstream conservative media for right wingers to get their fix.

This is the point. I think there is a liberal bias to the media if you take the media as a conglomerate, but I don't believe it has any real effect. Liberals watch MSNBC, Conservatives watch Fox News, and people with a brain watch CNN with the understanding that while it might slant slightly left, they do a pretty good job of reporting the facts. My point to the OP is that Ryan answered the question. To point out a specific reporter that has a liberal media bias would be pointless. Ryan's is trying to make the point that there is a MACRO slant to the news that tends to favor liberals. His reason is that since there are more liberal reporters that they have let their natural inclinations affect their reporting.

I personally feel that this probably happens on a MACRO scale, but that the impact is very negligent. I think people pretty much hear what they want to hear when listening to the news. The middle of the road voter is already media skeptical on both sides and probably does a decent job of discerning.

Back