• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

These guys suck at campaigning

Back to the OP.

Good lord, Ryan is swiftly proving that he's a nothing-special, run-of-the-mill politician. In fact, with any more of these "shot own foot" -type soundbites, I might move him to the bad-at-this group.

The flip side is that many conservatives would claim that Obama made it worse. Promises aren't conditional, that is why they are promises. If you say that you will get spending down, then that is what you need to do. If you didn't because of a factor you didn't account for, that doesn't excuse you. Oh, I was going to be faithful honey, but this fantastic blond seduced me and reality changed. Obama is doing the same thing that Ryan is doing. In Ryan's world the liberal media bias is the reason that they are down in the all the media polls (you don't believe this, but that is beside the point). In Obama's world the reason that he didn't reduce the deficit is because the economic collapse was much worse than he had anticipated (Conservatives don't believe this, but that is beside the point). The strategy is the exact same. Offer and excuse that your voting base will buy into.

And yes, I still buy Romney over Obama, but I will give serious consideration to a 3rd party. Gary Johnson is not completely crazy. My main reason being Supreme Court appointments. There are some old judges on the Court right now. Could be a chance to reverse Roe vs. Wade down the line if the court moves a bit more conservative. I don't think that a Romney presidency or an Obama presidency looks all that much different to be honest. Both will be neutered by Congress. It is a moot point anyway, Obama is going to win this thing going away in my opinion.

Back to the OP.

Good lord, Ryan is swiftly proving that he's a nothing-special, run-of-the-mill politician. In fact, with any more of these "shot own foot" -type soundbites, I might move him to the bad-at-this group.

I don't think Ryan is the best politician, but I think he governs well, and would love to see him get a crack at the books and see what he could do. Obama is a giant among mere mortals with regards to political skills in this election. Romney sucks, Ryan is too green, and Biden is a political idiot (smart man, has done a lot of great things, but political nincompoop).

Ryan has believed that you can't challenge anything he say no matter how ridiculous or without merit. He ran out on Simpson/Bowles but gets pissed when someone brings it up.

So the depth of economic collapse is just a bad excuse?

It is just more evidence that the guy is an incompetant hack. By the time he made that statement, it had been ~4 months since he was elected. And he didn't know the extent of the recession such that he was only thinking it was 1/3 of what it was? Shouldn't have finding that out been towards the top of his to-do list (hell, maybe even before he launched his stimulus cluster in an attempt to rectify it)? Anyone with eyes and half a brain could tell it was more than a 3% contraction, but the President of the United States could not? Bullshit.

Ryan has believed that you can't challenge anything he say no matter how ridiculous or without merit. He ran out on Simpson/Bowles but gets pissed when someone brings it up.

This is an excellent unbiased salient point.

The Supremes couldn't weather the s---storm of reversing Roe v. Wade, not to mention the political damage it would do. Now I do think they'll do what they're going to say as long as the states/feds aren't completing restricting access to abortion, it's all good. Something like it being up to the states and individual doctors.

I'm scared that such a Supreme Court would eventually water down Brown.

Look at the interview with Chris Wallace. H won't even answer a legitimate question on Faux News. It was a softball that asked him for details. He refused to answer.

It is just more evidence that the guy is an incompetant hack. By the time he made that statement, it had been ~4 months since he was elected. And he didn't know the extent of the recession such that he was only thinking it was 1/3 of what it was? Shouldn't have finding that out been towards the top of his to-do list (hell, maybe even before he launched his stimulus cluster in an attempt to rectify it)? Anyone with eyes and half a brain could tell it was more than a 3% contraction, but the President of the United States could not? Bullshit.

And along comes proof that most conservatives belief in Obama's excuse is just about equal to liberal's belief in the media bias. And this is when one of the sides chime in...BUT WHAT MY GUY SAID IS THE TRUTH! Used to tell our players 'we don't make or accept excuses' for this exact reason. You can ALWAYS think of an excuse, and sometimes you might be right, but it doesn't matter. Either you get the job done or you don't. Either Ryan and Romney win this election or they don't. Either Obama balances the budget, and gets the economy going or he doesn't. Some bullcrap excuse isn't going to matter to the people without jobs. Both sides make excuses, and they have been doing it for years. Reminds me of another good quote.

"If you don't think you are a fool, you are a fool." Only those who are self aware of their own party's downfalls have true political wisdom. If you can't recognize your own faults then you are just as much of a fool as Fox News.

I feel kinda bad for Wrangor. He went all in, guns blazing, crotch wet for Romney when he picked Ryan. That's it, voting for Romney. Love the pick. Ryan's the best EVAR...I'm so excited, I'm so excited...I'm so.. so, scared.

For those watching, it's painfully obvious how Wrangor, aware he went too far too fast with Ryan, is slowly tip-toeing backwards and away from Ryan as he learns who he really is (and how bad Romney really is). But he can't quite get to the point of admitting they're just terrible and he was wrong.

The Supremes couldn't weather the s---storm of reversing Roe v. Wade, not to mention the political damage it would do. Now I do think they'll do what they're going to say as long as the states/feds aren't completing restricting access to abortion, it's all good. Something like it being up to the states and individual doctors.

This is interesting...how so? I always figured that was pretty much untouchable. What possible reason would they have to water this down in our current political climate?

I feel kinda bad for Wrangor. He went all in, guns blazing, crotch wet for Romney when he picked Ryan. That's it, voting for Romney. Love the pick. Ryan's the best EVAR...I'm so excited, I'm so excited...I'm so.. so, scared.

For those watching, it's painfully obvious how Wrangor, aware he went too far too fast with Ryan, is slowly tip-toeing backwards and away from Ryan as he learns who he really is (and how bad Romney really is). But he can't quite get to the point of admitting they're just terrible and he was wrong.

Not at all. I like Ryan as much as the day Romney picked him. I never thought he was a Savior, just a great mind. He gets it. This doesn't mean that he isn't a politician, or that he is going to make the waters recede, it just means that I like him more than any of the other 3 politicians in this race. Obama and Romney are vanilla to me, and Biden is not impressive at all. Paul was the tie breaker.

What had eluded me over the past few years was just how blind the left of this board was to their own side's faults, and how close some of the posters like RJ were to being Fox News of the Left. I probably prefer Obama over Romney to be honest, but I hate to see foolishness reign in either party. A lot of foolishness going on.

I have backed away from these boards because I have realized unfortunately that it really doesn't matter who the Republican nominee was going to be, the Left on this board were going to crucify him as the Anti-Christ. That dampens my enthusiasm to discuss anything because everything becomes an issue of injustice and the conservative point of view is always displayed as 'factual injustice'. It is difficult to discuss issues when you are always having tot defend not only a point of view, but that you are not a bigot/racist/greed-mongerer/etc....

Perhaps after the election when Obama is elected we can all calm down a bit and discuss things in a normal fashion. I love discussing the issues, I hate stupid arguments like how terrible Ryan is because he thinks there is a liberal media bias. Waste of my time, but I have a hard time letting go of the conversation for some reason.

Last edited:
This is interesting...how so? I always figured that was pretty much untouchable. What possible reason would they have to water this down in our current political climate?

They're taking aim at affirmation action. If schools are restricted in the measures that they can use to integrate colleges and universities, eventually it's going to come down to the elementary and secondary schools. Eventually I think a conservative Court could rule that separate but equal being OK as long as it's not directly enforced by school districts or states. In other words, the government has no responsibility to ensure that schools are not segregated as long as they aren't doing the segregating.

Water down Brown? They would have to find the Civil Rights Act of 1964 unconstitutional. Dont see that happening pretty much ever.

Last edited:
They're taking aim at affirmation action. If schools are restricted in the measures that they can use to integrate colleges and universities, eventually it's going to come down to the elementary and secondary schools. Eventually I think a conservative Court could rule that separate but equal being OK as long as it's not directly enforced by school districts or states. In other words, the government has no responsibility to ensure that schools are not segregated as long as they aren't doing the segregating.

I am confused how affirmative action has anything to do with public schools (elementary, middle, and high school). And I think it is a huge leap apply Brown to approving Affirmative Action. While affirmative action could one day be under threat, I don't ever see it affecting our public schooling system. How could someone possibly segregate a school outside of how it is already done that is legal (private schools). I am really curious how this would play out. Perhaps I am just missing something. In all seriousness I want to hear more how you would see this practically working out.

Affirmative Action has definite impact on public colleges and universities.

Agreed, which is why I said that it would. But PH was making the claim it would effect elementary and secondary schools, and that is where he lost me. The long term goal of affirmative action should be to make itself obsolete. If that is not the goal, then we need a new plan. There is a healthy debate to be had regarding where we are on the timeline, but I can't figure out how reducing the impact of AA would water down Brown or possibly encourage segregation in a middle school.

If there's a time line to get rid of AA, there should be a timeline to get rid of legacy preferences, employment preferences and all other preferences.

If there's a time line to get rid of AA, there should be a timeline to get rid of legacy preferences, employment preferences and all other preferences.

This could be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Congratulations. We should give up ALL OTHER PREFERENCES. Government mandated reverse racism measures are equivalent to having a preference for just about anything. Good grief. I am not even against AA for the time being, but statements like this suggest perhaps we should try something different.

Last edited:
Preferences are preferences. It makes perfect sense.

Why take the only one women and people of color may have but not take away the others?

Back