• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

These guys suck at campaigning

Ryan has believed that you can't challenge anything he say no matter how ridiculous or without merit. He ran out on Simpson/Bowles but gets pissed when someone brings it up.

I can't believe anyone would ever think that about themselves.

Because none of the other preferences are a government mandate. They are just personal preferences for a free society. If I prefer to give my son a job then I should be allowed to do that. If I prefer to give a Wake Forest graduate a job over a UNC graduate then I should be allowed to do that. On the other hand I should not allowed to be racist. So I should not pick an employee because he is white. Do you even know why we have AA? It is to reverse the effects of racism. At a certain point the entire goal would be that AA would have done its job and the effects of racism are reduced to a miniscule amount. AA is not intended to counteract all individual preferences. If that was the case then it is about time we have a SHORT PEOPLE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION because the studies clearly show that height makes a huge difference in upward mobility. And I am balding, so I want some help with that. People with great hair are more attractive, and attractiveness correlates highly with success.

Because none of the other preferences are a government mandate. They are just personal preferences for a free society. If I prefer to give my son a job then I should be allowed to do that. If I prefer to give a Wake Forest graduate a job over a UNC graduate then I should be allowed to do that. On the other hand I should not allowed to be racist. So I should not pick an employee because he is white. Do you even know why we have AA? It is to reverse the effects of racism. At a certain point the entire goal would be that AA would have done its job and the effects of racism are reduced to a miniscule amount. AA is not intended to counteract all individual preferences. If that was the case then it is about time we have a SHORT PEOPLE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION because the studies clearly show that height makes a huge difference in upward mobility. And I am balding, so I want some help with that. People with great hair are more attractive, and attractiveness correlates highly with success.

Ole Miss, Carowhina and other state universities give preference to kids of employees, kids of donors, kids of alumni and more.....but don't be bothered by this.

If there's a time line to get rid of AA, there should be a timeline to get rid of legacy preferences, employment preferences and all other preferences.

I dont know exactly what you mean by "employment preferences", but I agree 100% about legacy preferences. I dont understand how someone can be against affirmative action, yet, at the same time, be okay with someone getting preferential treatment because of who their parents are. If you really want a system based on merit only, then eliminate all preferences.

ETA: I just saw your above post and now understand what you meant by "employment preferences."

Last edited:
Ole Miss, Carowhina and other state universities give preference to kids of employees, kids of donors, kids of alumni and more.....but don't be bothered by this.

I am not bothered by this. They should be allowed to give preference. That was my point.

Because you can't choose your sex and race. You choose your education. Some colleges are better than others..... that is life. It isnt fair, and any attempt to make it completely fair is inherently unfair to another group. Some people can't afford a college education. I don't see anyone picketing getting rid a college degree as requirement to apply for certain jobs.

I don't have a problem with AA as retribution for past harm and as a way to hopefully give African Americans a chance to establish their own legacies, but I have zero problem with playing favorites. That is what is gong to happen anyway.

Getting a job, any job is about 90% who you know. There is no way around it. People are going to hire applicants that they like. That is largely influenced by common interests, connections, and other superficial historical facts like where the person attended school.

It would be like not handing your family farm down to your son because there was a recent college grad who was more qualified.

EVERY time you speak about AA you get it wrong. Black people haven't been the ones to most benefit from AA. Women have.

It is just more evidence that the guy is an incompetant hack. By the time he made that statement, it had been ~4 months since he was elected. And he didn't know the extent of the recession such that he was only thinking it was 1/3 of what it was? Shouldn't have finding that out been towards the top of his to-do list (hell, maybe even before he launched his stimulus cluster in an attempt to rectify it)? Anyone with eyes and half a brain could tell it was more than a 3% contraction, but the President of the United States could not? Bullshit.

drink up

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1634643414001/will-voters-forget-the-magnitude-of-the-recession/

Forecasted GDP Growth (Year/Year)
2009 2010
Administration -1.2% 3.2%
CBO (Average of Low and High) -0.9 2.6
Blue Chip (Jan.) -1.6 2.4
Macroeconomic Advisers (Dec.) -1.3 3.7

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/cea/Economic-Projections-and-the-Budget-Outlook

Because you can't choose your sex and race. You choose your education. Some colleges are better than others..... that is life. It isnt fair, and any attempt to make it completely fair is inherently unfair to another group. Some people can't afford a college education. I don't see anyone picketing getting rid a college degree as requirement to apply for certain jobs.

I don't have a problem with AA as retribution for past harm and as a way to hopefully give African Americans a chance to establish their own legacies, but I have zero problem with playing favorites. That is what is gong to happen anyway.

Getting a job, any job is about 90% who you know. There is no way around it. People are going to hire applicants that they like. That is largely influenced by common interests, connections, and other superficial historical facts like where the person attended school.

It would be like not handing your family farm down to your son because there was a recent college grad who was more qualified.

Some would consider that smart business.

They're taking aim at affirmation action. If schools are restricted in the measures that they can use to integrate colleges and universities, eventually it's going to come down to the elementary and secondary schools. Eventually I think a conservative Court could rule that separate but equal being OK as long as it's not directly enforced by school districts or states. In other words, the government has no responsibility to ensure that schools are not segregated as long as they aren't doing the segregating.

This is already the state of the law.

Preferences are preferences. It makes perfect sense.

Why take the only one women and people of color may have but not take away the others?

Maybe because race and sex are protected traits, even if you are a white male.

The problem with discriminating on race as a matter of public policy is....wait, that is the problem. Nevermind. No good can come from this practice whose time unfortunately came and even more unfortunately has not yet gone. Good riddance, and yesterday still seems like too late to be rid of it.

The main flaw with AA---Constitutionally---is it fails the strict scrutinty test that is supposed to apply to discrimination along racial lines. You can't tell me that you should be permitted to discriminate along racial lines unless you can prove to a Circuit Court panel that, well, you're doing it well (that's essentially the test if you think about it). Let me be the first to say that if Michael Jordan's child is given---in addition the de jure privilege of alumni preference and the self-evident de facto privileges of being the child of a near-billionnaire---a racial privilege over the poor white kid from Robeson County whose only parent works at Benigans after having him as a high school drop-out mom...you're failing to justify that abhorrent idea. If AA is supposed to help the less fortunate and put people on even footing, explaining to me MJ Jr.- Robeson County disconnect. That seems exceedingly hard to do with a straight face (and let's not even get into how "we" pick which historically oppressed minorities "count" for AA purposes, and which---get this----are re-discriminated against). Bad ideas produce bad results. In 2012, we're better than this.

I don't think Ryan is the best politician, but I think he governs well, and would love to see him get a crack at the books and see what he could do. Obama is a giant among mere mortals with regards to political skills in this election. Romney sucks, Ryan is too green, and Biden is a political idiot (smart man, has done a lot of great things, but political nincompoop).

He's been a congressman for over a decade and worked almost all his adult life on the Hill! The problem isn't being green, let alone too green. The problem is that he's a huckster and it's finally catching up with him.

"Too green." lol.

He's been a congressman for over a decade and worked almost all his adult life on the Hill! The problem isn't being green, let alone too green. The problem is that he's a huckster and it's finally catching up with him.

"Too green." lol.

Hmm. Well, knowing the Hill will serve Romney well. What is the Obama plan, exactly, to deal with entitlement programs that are going broke? There is a plan, right?

Hmm. Well, knowing the Hill will serve Romney well. What is the Obama plan, exactly, to deal with entitlement programs that are going broke? There is a plan, right?

Yes. The plan is to commission a bipartisan debt reduction panel and then totally ignore their findings. It's working great!

Back