• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

These guys suck at campaigning

Receipts as a percentage of GDP is a rate. Specifically an effective rate for all taxes.

Only if GDP is fixed year over year. Of course, we both know that it isn't. If I cut rates in Year 1, causing GDP to grow in year 2, a lower rate of tax will increase receipts.

Yeah, the Reagan/Clinton years sucked. Let the historians on the board conclude the causality. But lucky for us we have Obama and happy days will soon be here again.

Only if GDP is fixed year over year. Of course, we both know that it isn't. If I cut rates in Year 1, causing GDP to grow in year 2, a lower rate of tax will increase receipts.

..but not receipts as a percentage of GDP, because our divisor just increased, too.

^That's all well and good, but not as good as making fun of people who got taken in by such an obvious fraudster as Paul Ryan.

Don't mess with the perception of Reagan as some kind of dominating conservative who browbeat libs into submission when the facts really show a fiscal moderate who worked with both sides to craft very effective bi-partisan solutions.

They don't like that.

2. Isn't necessarily true. The growth in GDP would have to have a larger effect on tax receipts than the decrease in rates from the underlying activity. It can lead to increased receipts, but not necessarily.

drink up

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1634643414001/will-voters-forget-the-magnitude-of-the-recession/

Forecasted GDP Growth (Year/Year)
2009 2010
Administration -1.2% 3.2%
CBO (Average of Low and High) -0.9 2.6
Blue Chip (Jan.) -1.6 2.4
Macroeconomic Advisers (Dec.) -1.3 3.7

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/cea/Economic-Projections-and-the-Budget-Outlook

Not sure what your point is ... that nobody in the White House or at FOX News has half a brain? I would agree with that.

When you look up "kicking the fiscal responsibility can down the road", Ronald Reagan's name is the first one listed. He invented that game. Of course, George W Bush played it better than anyone. In eight years as president, how many spending bills did George W Bush veto? Maybe, just maybe, if those two guys had tried cutting spending along with cutting taxes, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

I disagree about Reagan. For one we weren't in a position where we needed austerity, and two he instituted the SS fix and also supported means testing of SS.

When you look up "kicking the fiscal responsibility can down the road", Ronald Reagan's name is the first one listed. He invented that game. Of course, George W Bush played it better than anyone. In eight years as president, how many spending bills did George W Bush veto? Maybe, just maybe, if those two guys had tried cutting spending along with cutting taxes, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

Man, I could not agree MORE with this. Reagan get so much unnecessary credit in the Republican Party. Herbert Bush was a MUCH better president than either his son or Reagan, and yet he only got one term due to the Clinton machine. Reagan did a lot of good things, but I agree 100% that we are in the mess of deficit spending much to the credit of Ronald Reagan.

Before the election,they don't want to identify the mortgage deduction as the main one. They understand if they did, Obama might even pick up some brilliantly red states.

Before the election,they don't want to identify the mortgage deduction as the main one. They understand if they did, Obama might even pick up some brilliantly red states.

You are correct. They would get murdered for proposing that we get rid of the mortgage deduction. Do you have proof of that? Or are you just speculating?

It's the main loophole that's big enough to make any sort of dent in a 20% rate cut. You'd have to put dozens of exemptions (including for churches/charity) together to get close to the mortgage interest deduction.

that's not fair to snake oil. If you drink enough of it, it will quench your thirst.

Man, I could not agree MORE with this. Reagan get so much unnecessary credit in the Republican Party. Herbert Bush was a MUCH better president than either his son or Reagan, and yet he only got one term due to the Clinton machine. Reagan did a lot of good things, but I agree 100% that we are in the mess of deficit spending much to the credit of Ronald Reagan.

The Reagan myth is one of the great tall tales of our time.

Man, I could not agree MORE with this. Reagan get so much unnecessary credit in the Republican Party. Herbert Bush was a MUCH better president than either his son or Reagan, and yet he only got one term due to the Clinton machine and butthurt Republicans who didn't show up for Bush or supported Perot. Reagan did a lot of good things, but I agree 100% that we are in the mess of deficit spending much to the credit of Ronald Reagan.

Fixed.

Back