• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

These guys suck at campaigning

Also I don't think it's a good idea to try to fix Medicare until it's really fucking dire and the crisis is actually upon us. If we can't get it right then, there isn't much reason to think we can get it right now, when the stakes are lower. "Fixing" Medicare right now is just inviting hucksters like Ryan to muck everything up.

Yes. The plan is to commission a bipartisan debt reduction panel and then totally ignore their findings. It's working great!

I'll say it: S-B is terrible and voting against it is to Ryan's credit and running away from it is to Obama's credit. I'll be upset if Bowles is actually the pick for Treasury in term 2; he's just another out-of-touch FIRE sector JCDer who doesn't understand today's actual crisis. We need some unemployment hawks in DC, not deficit hawks or inflation hawks.

Also I don't think it's a good idea to try to fix Medicare until it's really fucking dire and the crisis is actually upon us. If we can't get it right then, there isn't much reason to think we can get it right now, when the stakes are lower. "Fixing" Medicare right now is just inviting hucksters like Ryan to muck everything up.

By that reasoning, why would a fat person ever lose weight until they got the di-uh-beat-us? I don't have the problem yet, after all, so five more Twinkies for dinner isn't a problem. That guy over there with the running shoes, 28 inch belt and salad bar plate is just another huckster.

The only huckster is on this board claiming that dealing with entitlement programs is not a pressing concern and we can kick the can down the road. A classic beltway solution. But slam the guy that wants to make it an issue and put out a plan for debate.

By that reasoning, why would a fat person ever lose weight until they got the di-uh-beat-us? I don't have the problem yet, after all, so five more Twinkies for dinner isn't a problem. That guy over there with the running shoes, 28 inch belt and salad bar plate is just another huckster.

Plaque and other health problems form and present themselves more quickly than the beetus. Being morbidly fat has many more facets than a Medicare budget crisis, which has one facet.

The only huckster is on this board claiming that dealing with entitlement programs is not a pressing concern and we can kick the can down the road. A classic beltway solution. But slam the guy that wants to make it an issue and put out a plan for debate.

Ronaldus Magnus, to his great credit, kicked the can on SS by passing reforms that extended the solvency of the program for only a finite amount of time. It should be a model for now and for all times.

Plaque and other health problems form and present themselves more quickly than the beetus. Being morbidly fat has many more facets than a Medicare budget crisis, which has one facet.

I have to strain my eyes to make sure I am really reading what I think I see on the page around here lately about fiscal policy. I almost don't believe my eyes some time. Others (not you) were saying recently "I don't see what the big deal with deficits is, interests rates are low right now. Borrowing is the best way to get short term cash." I would hope that the Wake board would have better arguments than the sucker's deals that duped upside down homeowners for the past decade. "But interest rates are so low...it's like I'm not even borrowing...". Aye, yaye, yaye. Naranjas en la cabeza. The time to fix the problem is BEFORE it blows up in your face, not after. Your leverage is GONE then. In ANY other context, would you guys be making these mind-boggling poor arguments?

Ronaldus Magnus, to his great credit, kicked the can on SS by passing reforms that extended the solvency of the program for only a finite amount of time. It should be a model for now and for all times.

Total horseshit. It was not a major issue thirty-five years ago. And he was dealing with a Democratic Congress, lest you forget. And he was focused on the USSR. But have at it. If you think entitlement programs shouldn't be on the table then preach on brother. Sing it loud.

I have to strain my eyes to make sure I am really reading what I think I see on the page around here lately about fiscal policy. I almost don't believe my eyes some time. Others (not you) were saying recently "I don't see what the big deal with deficits is, interests rates are low right now. Borrowing is the best way to get short term cash." I would hope that the Wake board would have better arguments than the sucker's deals that duped upside down homeowners for the past decade. "But interest rates are so low...it's like I'm not even borrowing...". Aye, yaye, yaye. Naranjas en la cabeza. The time to fix the problem is BEFORE it blows up in your face, not after. Your leverage is GONE then. In ANY other context, would you guys be making these mind-boggling poor arguments?

Actually, I am one of those people. This is a no good, very bad time to worry about deficits. Indeed, immediate massive increases of deficits is the best (only good?) part of the Ryan Plan(s).

Actually, I am one of those people. This is a no good, very bad time to worry about deficits. Indeed, immediate massive increases of deficits is the best (only good?) part of the Ryan Plan(s).

I was trying to be kind and not name names. If we never borrowed another dime after tomorrow, how does the existing $16T get paid back? Let me guess, tax increase on the rich?

Total horseshit. It was not a major issue thirty-five years ago. And he was dealing with a Democratic Congress, lest you forget. And he was focused on the USSR. But have at it. If you think entitlement programs shouldn't be on the table then preach on brother. Sing it loud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Social_Security_in_the_United_States#Amendments_of_the_1980s

Tip deserves great credit, too. Good point. Very bi-partisan of you to point that out.

Tip knew he had no chance in the arena of ideas and caved. And the country was the better for it.

Tip got a tax increase from Ronaldus Magnus. If that's caving, more people should try it.

In terms of bipartisan compromises, I'm willing to give O'Neill credit. Just the Tip, though. Nobody else.

Tax receipts as a percentage of GDP went south until 1983 and up after then. SS reforms in 1983. I report, you decide.

fredgraph.png

Back