• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things to do in Barcelona, Spain

elkman92

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Will be there for two nights next month before going on a cruise that includes Gibraltar, Mallorca, Mallaga, Cadiz, Portimao and Lisbon. What say ye?

anything Gaudi (esp. Parc Guell for fantastic views of the city)
the market is one of the best in the world
try and get a reservation at Tickets, owned by the Adria brothers...supposed to be a fantastic restaurant.

if you like Dali, take the train to Figueras for the Teatro Museo Dali. the town is a shithole, but the museum is incredible. completely designed by Dali himself, so it is quite crazy.

Try not to get mugged.

Despite the pick pocketers, Barcelona is a cool city. The nightlife is phenomenal, which kept me from seeing all the sights. But check out all of Gaudi's works including Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera and Parc Guell. There's a decent Picasso museum. Stroll Las Ramblas for souvenirs and street performances, but keep in mind that's where 90% of the pick pocketing occurs for tourists. Walk down the beachfront promenade. You can take a cable car from there to the Olympic site, which is well worth walking around. There's also a castle/fort up there.

Let me know if you're interested in restaurants or nightlife. I only spent a week there, but I've got some friends who have been living there for years and I can hit them up for recommendations if you have anything specific you're looking for.

Barcelona is an amazing city. There's plenty to do, you can go to the beach/waterfront, walk and shop along Las Ramblas, take a trip up to Monteserrat, eat great food, see Gaudi influence in just about everything.

I would move there if I could. Mountains and the Mediterranean within a short distance of each other.

HuskyDeac, feel free to post restaurant recommendations. My wife has been to Barcelona before, but I have not, so we are open for any suggestions...

HuskyDeac, feel free to post restaurant recommendations. My wife has been to Barcelona before, but I have not, so we are open for any suggestions...

I was traveling on the cheap, so my choices probably wouldn't be what you're looking for, but I'll send a message to my friends for some recommendations. Any type of food you're looking for?

Went there while in the service in the mid 90's and absolutely loved it. I do remember having to guard my wallet. Pretty cool place though.

really, don't take all the 'guard your wallet' stuff lightly. of the people in my study abroad group who were pick-pocketed, all 3 were different weekends in barcelona. two other friends of mine, while visiting, respectively had a camera stolen and a wallet (but my friend, she's a BAMF, she chased the little twats down into the men's bathroom, cornered the kid in the stall and slammed him against the wall and got her wallet back). zippered bags. money belts.

I was traveling on the cheap, so my choices probably wouldn't be what you're looking for, but I'll send a message to my friends for some recommendations. Any type of food you're looking for?

No idea whatsoever. I am pretty sure it will be at least five meals before we get on the boat...

La sagrada familia. Do it. There will be a big line but go in the morning. No one I went with wanted to wait on line so I did it alone. It was the coolest manmade thing I've ever seen.

Walk la rambla a few times a day. It's so neat. Eat gofres (waffle and ice cream) numerous times.

La sagrada familia. Do it. There will be a big line but go in the morning. No one I went with wanted to wait on line so I did it alone. It was the coolest manmade thing I've ever seen.

Walk la rambla a few times a day. It's so neat. Eat gofres (waffle and ice cream) numerous times.

This 1,000 times over.

If you're on La Rambla at night, prostitutes will assault you and attempt to clean out your pockets. Just be aware.

And those guys standing around with six packs aren't really selling beer.

Sagrada Familia is pretty incredible, they have a lot of work left to do before it is complete, but I believe the inside is now done which should be great.

la-sagrada-familia.jpg

La Boqueria Market off the Ramblas

Mercat-de-la-Boqueria-the-Famous-Market-on-Las-Ramblas-Barcelona.jpg

Camp Nou (Barcelona soccer stadium) is impressive if you have time. Not that close to the Gaudi stuff or Ramblas though.

3 main art museums
- Picasso - pretty good, think we got a reservation
- Miro - impressive building and location, didn't enjoy the art as much
- MNAC (national museum of catalan art) - really impressive massive old building. tons of stuff in there, near lots of other attractions so maybe just walk up the steps for the view

check your PM, i sent my email. Shoot me an email and I'll send you my WORD doc I wrote after living in Barca. My favorite restaurants/bars, etc. Some have probably changed since then, but it might give you a place to start.

Definitely echo the Sagrada Familia recommendation. Very cool.

I went back in 2001 and we enjoyed the Mike's Bike Tour in Barcelona. Great way to see a lot of the city in a short amount of time.

Back