• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This mass republican defection is going to blow up in GOP's face

Cruz, Kasich, and Walker are the most likely 2016 wannabes to try again in 2020. McCain and Palin still have never publicly dissed each other and Pence likely won't diss Trump either. Cruz's position on Trump is clear and any other 'Pubs with 2020 aspirations will have to distance themselves from Trump at some point. Have to balance 2020 general election prospects against antagonizing/alienating as many as 14M pissed off Trumpbots.

they'd challenge the sitting president?

They ran 16 people against him. What else could they have done during the primary? The voters chose Trump.

Yes they did. I'm not buying into some of this hand wringing or the field was too large crap. By the time the NH primary rolled around, they were essentially down to 5 - Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Jeb!. And there was still time to stop Trump when the field had been winnowed to 3. He was able to generate a consistent plurality of Reagan Dems, evangelicals and some tea baggers that fought off every establishment challenge. Had Romney been in the race, he wouldn't have won. And this is something the donor class, neocons and establishment still doesn't seem to get. A plurality of the party has rejected the traditional pro business, trickle down approach with a hawkish foreign policy. Exactly how this monster was created, I'm not sure I can explain. But it was, and I'm not sure how it's going to be put back in its box.

I don't think the monster can go back in the box as these are folks the Pubs (and Dems before them) have lied to for so long that until Trump came out as their voice, they had given up voting. They will never vote establishment and may not vote again unless they get a straight talking person they can champion behind. Tom Cotton comes to mind but he is still way to green at this point to run for Prez.

If less people had ran Trump wouldn't have been the nominee. The trash of the party allowed Trump to float along until it was too late.

I'll have to look to be sure but I think he won the later primaries against a smaller field pretty handily. And that was with an urgency to stop Trump.

Yes they did. I'm not buying into some of this hand wringing or the field was too large crap. By the time the NH primary rolled around, they were essentially down to 5 - Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Jeb!. And there was still time to stop Trump when the field had been winnowed to 3. He was able to generate a consistent plurality of Reagan Dems, evangelicals and some tea baggers that fought off every establishment challenge. Had Romney been in the race, he wouldn't have won. And this is something the donor class, neocons and establishment still doesn't seem to get. A plurality of the party has rejected the traditional pro business, trickle down approach with a hawkish foreign policy. Exactly how this monster was created, I'm not sure I can explain. But it was, and I'm not sure how it's going to be put back in its box.

Republicans and conservative media created the monster.

Might be good for the GOP long term, but a faction will have to split and reform the party.

Republicans and conservative media created the monster.

Really can't underestimate the influence of Fox and talk radio. Pubs always talk about the liberal media, the irony being that their media is going to have a large part in costing them this election.

Really can't underestimate the influence of Fox and talk radio. Pubs always talk about the liberal media, the irony being that their media is going to have a large part in costing them this election.

Fox and Conservative talk radio secretly love having a Democrat in the WH. Their schtick works so much better when it's anti-(D) vs. pro-(R).

Fox and Conservative talk radio secretly love having a Democrat in the WH. Their schtick works so much better when it's anti-(D) vs. pro-(R).

So true. Hannity makes more money.

Yep.

At least left-leaning comedians are honest about this in regards to what is better for them irt R or D in power.

Just like coaching decisions, it is much easier (and more fun) to criticize than to defend. Foxnews has in a strange way loved having Obama around for 8 years.

They should be happy they get to hate on Hillary, Trump, and Johnson for the next 3 months.

Back