• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This must end now.

MACdeac

Reaction score
I had a tiny bit of sympathy for Jeff for being a complete loser having to be in the public eye constantly.. But nights like tonight are perfect opportunities to respond directly to fans and critics with real answers, even if they are hard to say. He not only tried to avoid questions, but he did it in a disrespectful manner to the people who asked them politely. In addition, their is an obvious movement from this administration to try to avoid any negative public discussion of this athletic department (of course not on the boards). Why does our local media continue to ignore this joke and throw him softball, BS interviews and stories. Where are the big donors demanding a change? What truly is going on? I listened tonight and every time [Redacted] addresses WF fans and its a travesty the performance he puts on.

I am to the point of giving up on ever seeing a new "culture" of consequences and reasonable expectations.

Let's face it...the AD at Wake is like that little town in Cali ripping off the taxpayers. We have top people making 1M+ and not producing any value. The only way to end it is simply stop donating money to the school, athletic department, and/or attending games. Once the money moves significantly against these jokers, they will lose their jobs.

[Redacted] has to be a placeholder, right?

There is no way that Ron Wellman, the rest of the Athletic Department, the Board of Trustees and major donors are blind to the terrible position we are in. While the boards may not be a fair sample of the Wake Forest population, there is no way the higher ups are naive enough to think we will make progress in our current position.

That being said, I've convinced myself that Wellman, who in the past has proved himself to not be an idiot and make good moves, is using Bz as a placeholder for the program and waiting around for "his guy". When he felt the need to fire Dino, he had a guy that he wanted to bring in, like Skip, who he saw as the future of Wake Forest Basketball for the next 15 to 20 years, but for whatever reason "his guy" either wasn't ready to leave, to be an ACC coach, or the program wasn't ready. So instead, Wellman brought in his buddy who he knew would do whatever he wanted and couldn't screw up the program that badly (although it's the worst it has been, it's not like we don't have some talented players, it's all on the coaching).

Otherwise, Wellman actually thinks [Redacted] is the right man to be the head coach of Wake Forest Basketball. There is no way Ron Wellman actually believes this, he is not that stupid. He has to have a larger plan at work here.
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the contract extension...

I believe at the time that Wellman felt Bzzz was going to take us to a Final Four. Rusty would leave, get some seasoning, and come back and be the home town coach to take over the wonderful program Bzzz built the right way (Note: this is not just idle spec but rather the piecing together a number of statements from Wellman himself). Anyway, he obviously missed completely is his assessment of Bzzz and Rusty is not developing as a recruiter or as a coach. Wellman was so arrogant that I don't think he ever thought this could happen. Now the situation is so fucked up that Bzzz will go down in infamy, the assistants are damaged goods (Battle probably not as much), and Wellman will forever be remembered as the guy that buried Wake Forest basketball on a hunch.

Agree, except I don't think Wellman thought Rusty would leave. I think Bzz was brought in to groom Rusty and Rusty would take over when Bz was ready to retire on top.

Wellman definitely thought that bringing in a career loser was the right way to prepare Rusty to be future.

I believe at the time that Wellman felt Bzzz was going to take us to a Final Four. Rusty would leave, get some seasoning, and come back and be the home town coach to take over the wonderful program Bzzz built the right way (Note: this is not just idle spec but rather the piecing together a number of statements from Wellman himself). Anyway, he obviously missed completely is his assessment of Bzzz and Rusty is not developing as a recruiter or as a coach. Wellman was so arrogant that I don't think he ever thought this could happen. Now the situation is so fucked up that Bzzz will go down in infamy, the assistants are damaged goods (Battle probably not as much), and Wellman will forever be remembered as the guy that buried Wake Forest basketball on a hunch.

Based on Buzz's past coaching history, how can anyone in their right mind ever possibly think that Buzz has the potential to take a team to the Final Four? He's had trouble enough just making it to post season play.

Agree, except I don't think Wellman thought Rusty would leave. I think Bzz was brought in to groom Rusty and Rusty would take over when Bz was ready to retire on top.

Wellman definitely thought that bringing in a career loser was the right way to prepare Rusty to be future.

Are u on bath salts?

Why do you say that, Moonz?

If he actually thought [Redacted], a mediocre coach at best given his track record, was going to take us to the Final Four that is absurd. I can't tell if the statements that Wellman has been making since Bz got here are his actual beliefs or if he is just keeping up this facade while we wait out the Bz era. He is holding his ground, but I just can't believe that Wellman is that stupid. I've always thought of him as having a larger plan at work and not showing his cards. That being said, I do think this has gone a lot worse than he envisioned it, even if he actually did hire Bz as a stand in/fall guy. Whatever his intentions, I also think Wellman must know that he is on the chopping block (only exception being if he has been told otherwise by Hatch/BOT, which then would mean that Wake Forest has completely forsaken its entire athletics program. I don't think this is likely), his moves are being watched closely, and his next move is crucial to his job. He will either have to come up with a name for the BOT that everyone will actually believe in and trust to return the program to where it should be (not someone we all will make excuses for and give the benefit of the doubt, like we did with Bz when he was hired) or he will be fired.

Wellman really believes in old school basketball. He thought that is what he was getting with Bzzz but he didn't do his research and was overly influenced by his work at Air Force. He was also bonkers about Beilein after WVU schooled us (so be very aware of who is ripping us a new one now ;-))

So Ph, I think he thought Rusty would stay around to build the dynasty and then perhaps get a year or 2 as the head guy somewhere else only to return. Wellman has said he always want to hire coaches with prior head coaching experience but I suppose he could make an exception with one our assistants.

You would think the fact that we sucked that year would come to his memory as well.

In the new [Redacted]/Wellman paradigm, that was actually a decent team.

Well, there's this...

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Skip Prosser looked to the heavens frequently for answers during a lopsided loss to Air Force. The Wake Forest couldn't find any.

"I tried everything," Prosser said. "It didn't make a difference."

Wellman really believes in old school basketball. He thought that is what he was getting with Bzzz but he didn't do his research and was overly influenced by his work at Air Force. He was also bonkers about Beilein after WVU schooled us (so be very aware of who is ripping us a new one now ;-))

So Ph, I think he thought Rusty would stay around to build the dynasty and then perhaps get a year or 2 as the head guy somewhere else only to return. Wellman has said he always want to hire coaches with prior head coaching experience but I suppose he could make an exception with one our assistants.

Who is a former 3-sport Deacon athlete who started at Wake about the same time Wellman started as AD. I think Wellman would make an exception there.

And as I've posted several times, only an absolute fool would use that one game as a basis for what Bz could do at Wake. That was the worst Wake team post-Staak at the time. The Air Force game was the start of a 4 game losing streak to teams coached by Dennis Felton, Jerry Wainwright, and Seth Greenberg. After a 1 point win against Miami, that team lost 5 straight ACC games by double-digits.

Basically, Bz inherited an Air Force team that beat a bad Wake Forest team. That team was the standard for post-Staak suckitude before Bz came along.

I don't think Wellman used only that one game, but I don't think he would have given [Redacted] a second thought without that game.

Back