• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This thread is about context

Duke has 7 players that play more than 30% of their minutes

Kentucky has only played 8 players of value all year and only 7 play more than 30% of their minutes.

You don't need more than a 7 man rotation to have a good team.

Schwabber, do you give Bz a pass for his complete failure to address our needs with the class of 2011?

If I recall, the Bone was also our resident Buzzzzinner that said last year after our Stetson, etal losses that we shouldn't judge bzzz until mid February to see if he could coach. While we were on our way to a 1 win acc season and confronted with this, the bone then said we had to wait until feb of 2012 so we could see what he did with his first recruiting class.

I did pretty much say that, you are correct, which is why I have become more critical. I don't think Bzd did a very good job last year when faced with a lot of adversity. We didn't improve, save for maybe JTT and a few others. I do think we've played a lot more cohesively this year with same or lesser talent than last, so I took that as a good sign early, but I don't think we have improved all that dramatically. Nikita, CJ, and Tony there for a bit, but nothing to hang a hat on.

I have come to believe that Bzd is no savior, that he can coach, sure, but he is not going to be anything like a Smart might be or a Stevens or Izzo who get their teams playing better as the season progresses. He may be a good coach with good talent, and seem like a great coach with great talent, but there's a lot of those. I hope he surprises me. Maybe some talent will give him the confidence and fortitude to get it done on the court, but let's just say I ain't holding my breath.

I am fairly hopeful that next year is a good one, that is mostly because I am very high on several of the kids coming in. Thomas in particular. I want to see McKie and CJ with teammates they are confident in. You could put a highlight reel of CJ's body language this year on Nikita and Tony shots and it is like a blooper reel.

bone, I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in your battles on this board. I have no doubt Bzz knows basketball. But when the best you can say about him is that he is a good coach with good talent how do we buy into that? Personally, I'd like a great coach who can do something with lesser talent and can go even further with great talent. I see nothing in Bzz's history or tenure at Wake that leads me to believe he is that guy. It has nothing to do with his basketball IQ.

If you can't make a team greater than the sum of its parts then you aren't a very good coach. It is as simple as that, and [Redacted] (by my own definition, admittedly) is not a very good coach. In fact, he is a shitty coach because his teams play worse than the sum of their parts and he absolves himself of blame and throws it on his players on many occasions.

Ugh. The guy is just terrible. He cannot leave WFU quick enough.

JTT went from a guy who could occasionally win you a game all on his own when he got hot (which is good for an otherwise 7 win caliber team like you had last year) to a guy who "bought in" and became good at literally nothing. Just bad to mediocre at the very best. I laugh when I read that oft repeated line about his improvement under Bzz

Dude, I agree but No Stonz says we don't have A-10 talent. Read his post. Who am I to disagree with internet bullies who want to take down Buzz and the program? He's correct, clearly.

Lol what? Did you read my post? I didn't even offer my opinion about our talent level. I humored you and your A10 comment just to show you that even by that standard we'd still suck. Hell, right now, we'd be a middle of the pack Patriot league team. That's never ok.

I'm not trying to tear down the program, and I do apologize if I came across like a bully earlier.

I really don't see us winning 8 acc games next year, but even if we did, that wouldn't prove anything. We're going to be significantly better next year regardless of coach.

bone, I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in your battles on this board. I have no doubt Bzz knows basketball. But when the best you can say about him is that he is a good coach with good talent how do we buy into that? Personally, I'd like a great coach who can do something with lesser talent and can go even further with great talent. I see nothing in Bzz's history or tenure at Wake that leads me to believe he is that guy. It has nothing to do with his basketball IQ.

I'm not really giving you any reason to buy into it. I'm saying that based on what we've seen Buzz Outers are well within their logical right to be pissed. I am holding out some hope because I really really have a good feeling about the incoming class, but Bzd hasn't shown me anything to have faith that he can get us to a Sweet 16.

Despite that, I am looking forward to next year as we will be much more talented and everything will be on the line. I think with the stakes high, we will at least be whipsawed between agony and ecstasy. This year and last year, I think I have been ecstatic for a total of about 15 minutes. And 5 of those minutes were JTT against Iowa.

Lol what? Did you read my post? I didn't even offer my opinion about our talent level. I humored you and your A10 comment just to show you that even by that standard we'd still suck. Hell, right now, we'd be a middle of the pack Patriot league team. That's never ok.

I'm not trying to tear down the program, and I do apologize if I came across like a bully earlier.

I really don't see us winning 8 acc games next year, but even if we did, that wouldn't prove anything. We're going to be significantly better next year regardless of coach.

No problem Stonz. I just get frustrated by all the negativity around here some times.

Those are teams with Burger Boys at basically every position. When you are too small, far less talented and get beaten up, it's a different story.

Back