• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on the game

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The first thing I thought about is how we weren't prepared for a team to shoot over half their shots as threes. We weren't sure whether to go over, under or around picks. Our offense had no rhyme or reason to it about half the time.

As I said from the end of last season through the summer, our offense should be predicated on a two man game of Codi and Devin. The stats make it look like it was, but it wasn't. They each had a period of time when they dominated individually. There wasn't a pattern or designed sets that integrated their talents together.

Devin is a man, but he needs not to wait for the defenders to make contact after he goes under or drop steps. Against ACC teams help will come. Just go and be unstoppable.

Codi should pattern his game after a young DWade. No, I'm not saying he's that good, but the style of his game. He's a a true combo guard. he can get to the rim. He doesn't shoot many threes,will be able beat a lot of guards with his strength and quickness and still be able create for others.

Travis can be a really big part of getting us better if he accepts that he'll get his 12-16 ppg playing off Codi and Devin as creating scores out of broken plays. He has to play full out all the time and look for his spots.

Madison's shot looked a lot better. It's not as herky-jerky as it was.

Coron needs to play mostly with Codi. They should flip flop on D. Coron should play off the ball on offense and on the PG on D.

Tree and Cav were sort of victims of the lack of planning of our D. They were basically trying to cover people 18-22' from the hoop with no hard pattern to it. I was pleasantly surprised with Cav's rebounding. When Tree in we need to use him as a disruptor on D. We also need to play him more of a PF on offense. He can create open shots for the rest of the team.

As usual Moto played at 100 mph. It looked like he looked at the bench a couple of time for direction. The kid wants to play, but he's not sure what exactly he should be doing. That's the coach's fault.

Overton needs to lose about 20 pounds or so. Even though his shots didn't go in, they looked decent. He seems to have a good bball IQ. He needs get quicker.

We have pieces to be a decent team our rebounding is really our #1 weakness behind our coaching. If we can get a lot of mid-range shots from motion our lack consistent three point shooting can be overcome.

The most offensive aspect to last night's game is that our guys didn't seem to know where to be on D and the offense was weird. They want to be coached. They seem to be a close group. But damnit they need direction.

"The first thing I thought about is how we weren't prepared for a team to shoot over half their shots as threes. We weren't sure whether to go over, under or around picks."

I'm certain the guys know how to do all three. They just weren't told which strategy to take which after about 5 minutes should have been obvious.

There were a lot of positives on a player-by-player basis, we just didn't piece it together as a team. The defensive effort was appallingly poor and the full court pressure just seems to be a gimmick to force a couple turnovers while speeding the game up slightly. I didn't agree with Biancardi's assessments a lot last night (said Colgate would finish top 3 in the Patriot League which is just flat out incorrect) but I do agree with him saying the press wasn't intended to necessarily force a turnover every possession but rather make the other team think about every pass and every dribble.

Devin had a really nice game inside and appeared to be the only guy who brought the intensity from the tip. It was good to see Codi hit his stride a little bit in the second half and pull us out of the funk that we were in after Colgate jumped out to a quick eight point lead after the break. Given Andre's limited skill set he didn't have a terrible game but I still don't see him getting too much playing time in conference play, particularly if Green comes back.

I haven't seen enough of Coron or Miles to make an assessment on that front, but Coron looked like he has a tendency to take some wild shots. I don't know if that was a direct result of not getting the ball open in space enough around the perimeter, or maybe he just makes those contested shots a lot, but he discretion is the better part of valor and he didn't show much discretion.

Travis again had a quiet and consistent night. I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that Travis' ceiling is to be a glue guy on a good team. That's no sleight on Travis at all and it can't be understated how important a guy like that is. I think on this Wake team though he's going to be asked to do a little bit more than he otherwise would be required to do on a tournament caliber team and at times it may come back and bite us a little bit.

The coaching issue is what it is and I'm sure will be discussed ad nauseum this year but there wasn't really a whole lot to be impressed with last night from the staff, and let's just leave it at that.

I'd give the offense a B+ or an A-. Offense efficiency rating of 117 is really good (it would be the third best offensive game we played all of last year) and I think we have a lot more talent on that side of the ball than we did last year, even with CJ gone.

I'd give the defense a C- or a D+. The defense played well in the second half at times, but I have no idea why we continued to go under screens once it was evident that Colgate was content to launch from outside. There wasn't really a threat of getting beat off the ball because we clearly had the athletic advantage. I'm not really sure what the deal was, but it took a while for the staff to get the guys to contest open jumpers which is a ridiculous thing to even have to tell an ACC basketball team regardless of what point of the season it is.

I'd give the coaching a C-. Got the win but we were down at the half and things were looking bleak for a while. Maybe it's just the rust of not having played in a while or maybe it goes beyond that. I guess we'll see some more on Tuesday against VMI.

It seemed to me that Devon's biggest weakness offensively last year was his off-hand, which was letting defenses cheat on him a little bit. I didn't see the game last night so I wasn't able to determine - has he gotten better with his off-hand?

Also in spite of papering The Joel with free tickets, the alleged "crowd" was 7402. It looked a lot more like 4702 or less. That's totally unacceptable.

Also in spite of papering The Joel with free tickets, the alleged "crowd" was 7402. It looked a lot more like 4702 or less. That's totally unacceptable.

As much as I would like to be apathetic, I can't. I think 4702 may be generous. That was crushing to see that even giving away freebies can't get the Joel 1/3 full. What Wellman and Bz have done to WFU BB is heartbreaking.

Laughed when Travis held onto te ball up 11 w 20 seconds so he could get fouled and get his points. Hit the two foul shots to make his 14 point average.

I thought we looked pretty good but agree didn't play well as a cohesive team. Needing codi to go off though is not a recipe for success IMO.

Devin gonna put up all acc numbers this year me thinks. But we will need to win games for him to get even second team

Since when would RJ have to have seen the game to post comments about it?

Rj saw the game. Since we aren't even good enough to get picked up locally, every game can be seen on ESPN3. It's a blessing and a curse for out of market Deacs.

I wonder the same thing... Any word?

From my recollection, he mainly used his left. Colgate never really took the left away. He worked on the right all offseason long so I'd like to think he will be able to break it out when needed..

Madison doesn't need to be out there if we are playing against a zone . Colgate just left him wide open at the top of the key like Maryland did against Ish in the ACC tournament . Madison is a clever player but he is no threat from the outside. We have three other guards to attack a sagging zone with.

From my recollection, he mainly used his left. Colgate never really took the left away. He worked on the right all offseason long so I'd like to think he will be able to break it out when needed..

I'm a big Thomas fan. Good coaches can build a team around someone with his abilities when those skills are developed, and I'm hoping Bzz doesn't let him down. It is a shame Colgate was so tight a game for us, b/c teams like Colgate should be good games to set him up to use his right and gain some confidence.

I was a little surprised to see the official stats apparently only had him with six rebounds against Colgate. For those who were able to watch the game, did that seem right?

It was right. There were tons of long rebounds off of three point misses.

Back