• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan breaks top 20 all time scorers list

I know Spurs fans probably don't want to watch this again but I don't think having Tim in at the end would have gotten them that rebound despite what JVG said during the broadcast. Diaw was subbed in for Tim because they liked his versatility to switch out on the perimeter after a screen to defend the three at all costs. That's exactly what he does and comes out to contest LBJ's three and leaves Bosh alone for the OREB. That was a rebound borne out of the defensive strategy to stop the first three, not out of the personnel. If Tim was in with the same strategy he would have been out there contesting the three just like Diaw when Bosh grabs the rebound. Just watch Diaw the whole time.

Last edited:
I know Spurs fans probably don't want to watch this again but I don't think having Tim in at the end would have gotten them that rebound despite what JVG said during the broadcast. Diaw was subbed in for Tim because they liked his versatility to switch out on the perimeter after a screen to defend the three at all costs. That's exactly what he does and comes out to contest LBJ's three and leaves Bosh alone for the OREB. That was a rebound borne out of the defensive strategy to stop the first three, not out of the personnel. If Tim was in with the same strategy he would have been out there contesting the three just like Diaw when Bosh grabs the rebound. Just watch Diaw the whole time.

Ginobili reminds me of my six year old playing basketball always falling to the floor...Of course he goes tumbling to the floor on the rebound and allows Bosh a clear passing lane to Allen.

Also, didn't help that LeBron threw a brick that bounced high. Basically everything went wrong on this play that possibly could.

I seem to recall that Tim had been taken out before that too...and the Spurs gave up another big rebound that they might not give up with Timmy in there.

I don't know about an earlier complaint (some people seemingly wanted 37-year-old Tim to play all 48 minutes), but for that play in Game 6 Pop subbed Diaw in for Tim at 19.4 seconds... or right at the beginning of that video.

How many players have 25,000 points, 15,000 rebounds, and 3,000 blocks. Without looking it up I would guess Wilt (though i'm not sure when they started recording blocks), Hakeem, and maybe Shaq and Kareem? Duncan could probably get close by the end of next season.

Edit: looks like it is just Kareem.

You have to remember they didn't keep blocks for almost all of Wilt's career.

I think people are also severely underestimating FYC's role in the making of The Miracle in Miami

Edit: this is a great oral history of the shot and how everyone felt about it http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...nio-spurs-players-relive-game-6-espn-magazine

My oral history:

Spurs 93, Heat 89 - 28.2 seconds

FYC: LeBron had just committed another late game turnover as Manu Ginobili intercepted a bad pass. Ray Allen fouled Ginobili quickly and the game had all the makings of another LeBron late game meltdown as Ginobili strode towards the free throw line. Up 4 with a career 83 percent free throw shooter headed to the line, I made the same mistake as the many of the Heat (un)faithful in attendance and stuck a fork in LeBron and friends. Aided by perhaps a few too many bottled beverages that evening I made the executive decision to change the title of the ogboards NBA thread, despite never making controversial title changes while the thread was under my stewardship for the prior 2 NBA seasons. I congratulated the Spurs on the championship and threw a “good job, good effort” jab at the Heat. Little did I know what would happen next.

Spurs 94, Heat 92 - 20.1 seconds

FYC: The thread title was up for only 8.1 seconds of game time before I knew I had made a huge mistake. Manu split his pair of free throws and LeBron came down quickly and nailed a 25 foot three pointer. All of the sudden it was a 2 point game and I knew I had to change the thread title (at first something akin to “Did I just jinx Spurs?” before back to something generic like “Official NBA Finals thread”), but the damage was already done. Meanwhile the Spurs fans on the thread, the number of which grew exponentially with each round they advanced in the playoffs, were already fuming about my thread title hijinx... and this was while they still had the lead and the ball. Now it almost seemed inevitable the jinx would come full circle.

Spurs 95, Heat 95 - 5.2 seconds

FYC: After 79 percent free throw shooter Kawhi Leonard also split a pair of free throws, we all know the rest… the LeBron bricked three, the Chris Bosh rebound, and the Ray Allen shot that will go down as one of the most famous in NBA history. Even with 5.2 seconds left and a possible overtime looming, the rest of the game and even the rest of the series seemed over... only 23 seconds after my congratulatory thread title change. My notification box lit up and not with pos (except for Brews of course), and some such as DF07 still hold a bitter grudge (once again I’m sorry). I’ll never know for sure if I changed the course of NBA history with a semi-drunken thread title change, but I’ll always wonder.

I LOL at all the Spurs bandwagon talk. The greatest athlete ever to come out of Wake has been the cornerstone of the Spurs for the past 15 years. Of course there's going to be a great deal of Spurs fans on this board (been one myself since 1998).

Bandwagon fans?

There's this team in south Florida.....

He's #2 on the Double-double list as well with 777. Karl Malone has 811. Maybe next year as well...

Interesting (and yes, I am replying to myself). Wikipedia has updated Duncan's total to 785 double-doubles since I made that post. He probably won't get 26 more double-doubles this year, but he's had 11 in his last 20 games. Barring injury he'll likely break the 800 barrier this year, and if he goes on a real tear he might even do it this year.

149159-0-600.jpg

Lost this game to keep us out of #1 in the nation, dammit.

I don't know what I'll do when he retires. TD and Spurs basketball has been the one thing that has helped get me through the the [Redacted] era of Wake hoops.

Hopefully Ron will get his head out of his own colon and you won't have to worry about it.

Back