• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

time spent watching tv daily

Also, a silly tv is basically a necessity for GUYLAND.

I've been in homes where the kids watch 10+ hours a day. Usually it was really poor areas where several kids would stay with one mom, she would put the tv on and then do other stuff (cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc.) and kids would watch tv/play with some assorted toys (if they had toys). They didn't really have the means to do other activities and the neighborhood wasn't very safe so the kids could not play outside.

The people watching that much TV aren't Wake Forest 1%ers.

i'd accept this for a weekend estimate. but assuming they're in school from 8 to 2 or so each day, are they really staying up until midnight watching tv? and do they not have to do any homework? (i'm aware that chances are they aren't doing enough homework. but the parents can't use the justification of not being able to afford better things when homework is free. and when it's done inside, away from neighborhood violence)

well all this time i've been under the assumption that this is why reality tv shows keep getting made...because not enough people are watching to justify shows with legitimate budgets.

Or the flip side that reality TV shows are profitable enough to get enough eyes and ears for cheap. But it adds up when you look at all the documentary/reality TV on cable nowadays. A few hundred thousand viewers apiece adds up.

i'd accept this for a weekend estimate. but assuming they're in school from 8 to 2 or so each day, are they really staying up until midnight watching tv? and do they not have to do any homework? (i'm aware that chances are they aren't doing enough homework. but the parents can't use the justification of not being able to afford better things when homework is free. and when it's done inside, away from neighborhood violence)

Well most of my experience is with young children, so they aren't in school at all until Kindergarten. Also, there are more kids than you think that get home from school at 4 and watch tv until midnight and are not getting enough sleep.

we also weren't allowed to watch tv during dinner growing up. i mean, i sometimes will now if i'm eating dinner alone. but if it's a family, wouldn't they shut off the tv?

I didn't growing up just because of the location of the kitchen room table.

Now whenever I go back to where my parents currently live, we can see the TV easily from the table, so it generally stays on, even if there really not anything that we need to be watching.

Living by myself, I now pretty much always eat from the couch/coffee table.

Well most of my experience is with young children, so they aren't in school at all until Kindergarten. Also, there are more kids than you think that get home from school at 4 and watch tv until midnight and are not getting enough sleep.

ah, never mind on the school thing. for some reason i thought you were kindergarten to first grade.

but wow on your second line. no wonder our kids struggle so much with obesity, attention problems, etc. if they are really watching tv so much that it's interrupting their sleep, that causes all sorts of problems health-wise.

Before I canceled cable last month, 2-4 hours nightly was the norm. I'd usually put on Sportscenter when I got home at 6 and not turn away from ESPN until I was bored with whatever game was on at 7. Now I'll maybe watch Netflix for an hour, at most.

Canceling cable really has been the most beneficial thing I've done for myself in quite a while.

I probably watched 1-3 hours of TV a week until I got to college. After that it was all down hill.

I really think its more a societal thing, these poor families move into really bad neighborhoods where it isn't safe for them to be out of the house and they don't have the means to participate in other activities.

Now the issue with staying up late is a parenting thing, but most of the time when you see those situations it's with parents that are dealing with other issues.

I have the television on for probably like 2-3 hours but I watch less than an hour of it on average.

I really think its more a societal thing, these poor families move into really bad neighborhoods where it isn't safe for them to be out of the house and they don't have the means to participate in other activities.

Now the issue with staying up late is a parenting thing, but most of the time when you see those situations it's with parents that are dealing with other issues.

Sad but true. I've gone in to many houses in order to do a developmental delay evaluation on a child and had to ask the caretaker to turn off the TV (sometimes kids shows, sometimes adult shows).

1-2 a day. like 94, good golf tourneys kill the average for me.

i guess that seems fair, although it's assuming that the average worker actually gets home at 5. even if you assume 8-5 job, i'm assuming most people have a commute? and does the average person watch news in the morning? i'm not doubting you, i'm honestly asking. i don't have a tv in my room, and it's not like i do my make-up in my living room. so to watch tv in the morning would mean actually having to get up 30 minutes earlier since i can't really multi-task with it. i guess i just value the extra 30 minutes of sleep over watching the news first thing.

i DVR two shows each week. one is a two hour show, one is a one hour show. i just caught up, but before that, i was getting weeks behind. my tv will go entire weeks without ever being turned on. i guess i just wasn't aware that there was even that much on tv that people WANTED to watch.

A lot of families who sit down and have breakfast and the TV is on during that. That's what we did growing up. My dad would get up earlier than the rest of us so he could concurrently read the paper and watch the news/sportscenter while drinking his coffee without the rest of us bothering him. I mean I definitely don't watch the news but I'm just hypothesizing an average day.

I probably DVR at least 5 shows per week all year. Hmm right now I think it's House, CSI, White Collar, Greys Anatomy, Law & Order SVU, Archer, Simpsons, Family Guy. And God help me if I find myself in a House Hunters or Say Yes to the Dress marathon.

And RTQ's situation only gets you to ~9pm. Many people could still watch TV for at least another 2-3 hours before going to bed.

Yep. I was leaving some time for not watching TV too, but plenty of people fill all of the time with TV.

only if you assume that your kids put themselves to bed. if your kids are young enough to need to be bathed/put to bed, it's much later than that.

we also weren't allowed to watch tv during dinner growing up. i mean, i sometimes will now if i'm eating dinner alone. but if it's a family, wouldn't they shut off the tv?

Some meals we wouldn't, but growing up we watched Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy during dinner a lot.

I got laughed at for mentioning this to friends the other night but sometimes we would read during dinner. Never TV though unless something out of the ordinary was happening (so maybe once a year). I always read at breakfast, too.

I got laughed at for mentioning this to friends the other night but sometimes we would read during dinner. Never TV though unless something out of the ordinary was happening (so maybe once a year). I always read at breakfast, too.

woah, really? like one person reading a book out loud? or like each person individually reading their own book?

woah, really? like one person reading a book out loud? or like each person individually reading their own book?

Hahah the former would be strange. The latter. Like if one of us was really in to a book we would ask if we could have a reading dinner and everyone would bring their books to the table. It happened maybe once every month or so.

Maybe an hour a night, unless I'm watching some sort of sporting event. I've gotten into listening to podcasts when I go to bed. On the weekends maybe a little more.

Back