• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

time spent watching tv daily

Hahah the former would be strange. The latter. Like if one of us was really in to a book we would ask if we could have a reading dinner and everyone would bring their books to the table. It happened maybe once every month or so.

i would argue that both are a little strange ;)

but knowing it was only once a month or so makes it not as strange. i thought you meant every night. but i'm still trying to figure out how exactly you sat there holding a book and eating at the same time. my mom would freak out and think i'd drop spaghetti on a library book and she'd have to pay for it :)

i would argue that both are a little strange ;)

but knowing it was only once a month or so makes it not as strange. i thought you meant every night. but i'm still trying to figure out how exactly you sat there holding a book and eating at the same time. my mom would freak out and think i'd drop spaghetti on a library book and she'd have to pay for it :)

A buddy of mine at work is basically a perpetual frat boy who loves NASCAR, the Gators, and all things Budweiser. His wife made spaghetti one night for dinner and in his drunken state, he slid all of it off the plate onto his t-shirt while watching TV. She found him passed out on the couch the next morning with a 10-inch tomato sauce stain and a knocked-over glass off beer on the couch, TV still on.

Sometimes drinking and television can be dangerous.

Haha no, it may have even been more infrequent than that. We always ate dinner together, though. My SIL said the same thing about not being able to eat and read at the same time. I never really thought anything of it and don't really remember it being a thing. I don't normally use both hands when eating unless something requires a knife to be cut. Depending on the book it could be tucked under the edge of the plate if I needed a hand.

Haha no, it may have even been more infrequent than that. We always ate dinner together, though. My SIL said the same thing about not being able to eat and read at the same time. I never really thought anything of it and don't really remember it being a thing. I don't normally use both hands when eating unless something requires a knife to be cut. Depending on the book it could be tucked under the edge of the plate if I needed a hand.

you know at the nice restaurants, after they've taken your plate, how they'll scrape down the table cloth to get rid of the crumbs?

yeah, i'm always "that person" who has a TON of crumbs around my plate. my mom's fears were probably legitimate :). you are probably just better at eating than i am ;)

you know at the nice restaurants, after they've taken your plate, how they'll scrape down the table cloth to get rid of the crumbs?

yeah, i'm always "that person" who has a TON of crumbs around my plate. my mom's fears were probably legitimate :). you are probably just better at eating than i am ;)

Haha I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that nice but I'm not too messy of an eater, to my knowledge.

Pretty much zero now that football season is over. I might watch 1-2 hours a week with my wife, 2/7 = .285 hours/day. But I play a hell of a lot of video games. I guess I'm averaging 2-3 hours of Skyrim/day. #humblenerdbrag

I remember the days when I was heavily engaged in college basketball and watched many hours of Wake and ACC games every week ... seems so long ago now...

On a typical day, if I'm home my TV is on from 6pm until I go to bed at 10:30 or 11 on weekdays. A quarter of that time I'm up figgiting around the house, fixing dinner, doing whatever and the rest of the time is some mixture of paying attention to the internet and/or watching TV. Not that I'm home at 6pm everyday, but that's a typical day. Sometimes I've got something else to do, but more often than not I don't...especially this time of year. When it warms up and the sun stays out longer I definitely get out more, but until it stays light outside until 700 or so I generally dont have time to do any outdoor activities after work....

Probably no more than a few hours a week...so maybe 30 minutes a day on average? Most days I don't turn it on though.

I used to read during breakfast all the time; not during dinner, though. the only time tv was on during dinner was if there was a particular news story we wanted to see or if jeopardy was on (but we usually ate before jeopardy started). We had dinner together every night... I really value that and intend to do the same w/ my family....
Jason and I have gotten into the habit of eating at hte couch because it's just easier, we ate at the table last night and it was weirdly formal.

I probably average 3 hrs a day and that's with really heavy TV viewing weekends. But that's only counting sitting down with the explicit intention of watching TV. There's probably another 30-60 minutes per day (averaged) where the TV is just on and I'm doing something else.

I have a TV over my shoulder at work and about 20 others are sprinkled around the office, but I don't watch those, they are just background but they are on all day long.

5 hours a day does seem pretty crazy if they mean people are actively engaged in the TV the whole time.

Hmm... let me construct an American worker's day. 30 minutes in the morning (news before work), 1 hour watching cartoons with the children after work 5:00-6:00, 30 minutes watching while cooking dinner, 30 minutes while eating dinner, 2 hours after dinner once the kids go to bed... that gets up to 4.5 hrs without seeming too impossible. Sub an office worker for a stay at home mom and you might add another hour at least in the day of watching soaps alone or TV with the kids. Or replace the hour with the kids of an hour at the gym staring at the TVs there. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility, and that gets you to around 5 hours without factoring in weekend spikes.

Gotta remember the retirees, too. They watch all day, every day. That's gotta skew the averages a little.

In isolation, "5 hours a day" is a poor stat. It needs context.

Heck, in the Fall on a good day, most of us probably watch 12+ hours of college football and 10 of NFL.

dickhead my kids watch less than 1-2hrs of tv a day. I simply said I put it on for my daughter to go to sleep, so don't talk about shit you know nothing about.

Your daughter only sleeps 1-2 hours a day? :eek:

As others have pointed out, people like me skew the #'s... I work from home most days & almost always have the tv on when I'm awake. It wouldn't surprise me at all if my average of "having a tv on while i'm in the room" is upwards of 15+hours/day.

Now... ~80% of that time the TV is tuned to a news station (on mute) & another ~15% its purely background noise. In terms of when advertising could actually reach me on TV; its probably less that 5% of my total time of 'TV watched' (using the definition that most studies like this rely on: if its on, it counts).

You have to be more involved to watch online videos... If an ad w/ sound is playing on my computer... I'm either watching it or finding a way to close it (either way... I'm actively having to take notice/'respond' to the ad).

Using my math, for me personally, TV ads have a 5% chance to reach me & online ads are damn close* to 100% (*Ad-Block Plus on HULU FTW!)... So for whatever its worth, for me (as my viewing habits should be valued by advertisers):

~5 minutes of internet-watching = ~1 hour 40 minutes of tv-watching...

And that lines up purdy well w/ the OP & somewhat explains the shift of ad-dollars (despite the vast difference in 'viewing times') over the past couple of years.

But with that said... I despise online video ads as a consumer.

I've actively avoided including them in many of the ad campaigns I've worked on. I probably should rely on some actual data or a few relevant focus-group studies; but I have an distinct impression that the 'annoyance factor' of online ads diminishes their actual value to advertisers (and, in some way, the sites that host them) more so than tv commercials.

I think the internet ad-market can be flooded past effectiveness much easier tv spots.

What I don't get about online ads is that typically watching Hulu or even specific channels' videos, a lot of the time it's just the same one or two commercials played at every break. Definitely more annoying and it seems like they're missing out on some advertising there.

What I don't get about online ads is that typically watching Hulu or even specific channels' videos, a lot of the time it's just the same one or two commercials played at every break. Definitely more annoying and it seems like they're missing out on some advertising there.

It'll eventually catch up.

I can tell you (and usually on the Pit, I just waste everyone's time with my random thoughts; but this is from a lot of real experience) that most big ad firms are very slow to catch on to the fact that, with internet videos, cheap placement shouldn't equal cheap production.

It comes down to the %'s i discussed in my 1st post on this thread. The increased participation level (i.e. you pretty much having to respond to the ad) creates some new dynamics in advertising that I believe firms are failing to realize.

Back