• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to Come Home Ron.....and Fire BUZzzzzzz

It's not happening folks. Not this year.

Well, tell ya' what is happening. I've given them my very last fucking dime for ANY sport. No football, no Deacon Club and no basketball.

So, in all, today was very productive for me. I saved a ton of money for the remainder of 2013.

Any insight as to when this decision was made? Or did this year not have an impact at all and he was coming back for 2013-14 before this year began regardless of how the season progressed?

Gaudio was not the wrong choice. He was the right choice. We went 61-31 with Gaudio. Say what you want, but he won. He was inexperienced as a HC so he had some bad losses, but the guy could recruit, and he knew how to coach. He obviously was not perfect, but Gaudio was not a bad coach. Still don't understand the uproar against Dino and why so many people were against him. We should have let the guy fail first before firing him. Bz has failed and should thus be fired. Gaudio had yet to truly fail, and had a pretty good thing going.

Gaudio was the right choice at the time,but it should have been at an interim level. Gaudio was not the right choice to remain HC, but he should have been for that season. Hiring him to save a terrible class in the long run is what helped to do us in.

Gaudio was not the wrong choice. He was the right choice. We went 61-31 with Gaudio. Say what you want, but he won. He was inexperienced as a HC so he had some bad losses, but the guy could recruit, and he knew how to coach. He obviously was not perfect, but Gaudio was not a bad coach. Still don't understand the uproar against Dino and why so many people were against him. We should have let the guy fail first before firing him. Bz has failed and should thus be fired. Gaudio had yet to truly fail, and had a pretty good thing going.

Especially in the moment, I agree that Gaudio was the right choice. While in hindsight it may look like a quick fix to keep together a recruiting class, it was really a decision made in light of great tragedy and a mourning community. It was the right decision to keep the leadership of the program in house, rather than lead a coaching search. I think a better decision would have been to make Dino an interim coach for as long as needed, either to find a new coach or to prove he was capable. It looks like St. Louis handled a situation like the one Wake Forest faced much better. In my opinion, losing that game to Cleveland State was a failure. That was miserable. Same with the first round ACCT loss. Falling apart down the stretch that season , while not by any means a major failure, was also something a better coach wouldn't have let happen. I understand and was in support of making a coaching change, but I could never have imagined what we ended up with. None of Dino's small failures came anywhere close the massive failure the entirety of the last three years have been. The unacceptable thing was hiring such a terrible replacement after giving the impression that we were upgrading because that's what the program needed. It wasn't even like we hired someone that might have been an upgrade and a coach able to be successful that then fell short of our expectations. Wellman hired someone that didn't even remotely seem like someone who would fit the job. He then had to put the ridiculous spin on the story that all the AD people and supporters recite today.

If Hatch isn't already embarrassed by what he has seen on the court and in the media, well....

Never say never! Bzz's shelf life has not exceeded 3 seasons in his most previous stops. Still holding out hope that he's on the way out and RW is taking his time to get the hire right this time!

You think jaybone predicts 19 wins for next year?

Numbers likes to lord his superior sports knowledge over me but I sure nailed the number of wins.

Just saw Damon Evans having dinner at the Village Tavern. For reference Evans is the former AD at UGA. He has a full time job for a data storage company in boston but has done some sports consulting for colleges on the side. My friends dad who knows Evans says that he thinks he does coaching stuff. Does anyone know if Wake is bringing him on as a consultant since he did that for Savannah State to help with fundraising. I'm hoping that its sign we're firing buzz but I'm not counting on it since everyone else is saying he is staying.

Last edited:
Never say never! Bzz's shelf life has not exceeded 3 seasons in his most previous stops. Still holding out hope that he's on the way out and RW is taking his time to get the hire right this time!

Agreed; Ron has decided to make the move after the Tournament so not to detract away from the Event he is so tied to. Yeah that's the ticket; that's what I'm going to chose to believe so to save me putting my foot through my damn LCD.

Is there ANY chance Buzz just says the hell with it and resigns? This can't be fun for him.

He will just head to the beach for some fun n' the sun and be able to hang out in Shallotte where no one knows him. He is liable to even sprout a mustache so he can appear to be suave and distinguished.

Just saw Damon Evans having dinner at the Village Tavern. For reference Evans is the former AD at UGA. He has a full time job for a data storage company in boston but has done some sports consulting for colleges on the side. My friends dad who knows Evans says that he thinks he does coaching stuff. Does anyone know if Wake is bringing him on as a consultant since he did that for Savannah State to help with fundraising. I'm hoping that its sign we're firing buzz but I'm not counting on it since everyone else is saying he is staying.

I was doubting this until I saw Savannah State, then thought that is exactly the guy Wellman would bring in to find us a coach.

Seriously, would be great if this had legs.

We've already found Wellman coaches: Groce, Stevens, Smart- take your pick RW and make it happen!

I've heard this as well. Source told me that basketball donations are nearly non existent. It's amazing that they would possibly bring these guys back.
The time is now and RW is painfully aware of it- fully expect a new coach for next season! We just have to let RW work this out on his own terms and likely after the tourney.

LOL I was the couple that sat at the table right across from him. I didn't recognize him but I remember thinking damn this guy knows his sports. Had a few convos about Wake but it was mostly SEC East related and also House of Cards (yeah I was eavesdropping).

Last edited:
The time is now and RW is painfully aware of it- fully expect a new coach for next season! We just have to let RW work this out on his own terms and likely after the tourney.

The ONLY thing giving me hope are Wellmans duties on the committee and esp as incoming chair. Three weeks may seem like forever with Buzz still on board but we have endured three years with this loser .... #perspective

Maybe he is waiting until VCU is out of the tournament in order to bring in Shaka.......one can only dream

Back