• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to eliminate the Liberty University Football series

Thomas Jefferson's family, holding identical beliefs to Thomas Jefferson, doesn't still run Virginia (a public institution). Similarly, Wake Forest is no longer run by Baptists.

It is kind of ironic that a school founded by white Southern Baptists back in the 1800's, who I'm sure had at least as harsh of a view on gays as Falwell, shouldn't play a school whose founder had the same backward views.

I think it's kind of ironic that you're completely omitting that Wake is no longer Baptist-affiliated and has changed significantly in every step of its growth, while Liberty has embraced and championed a set of social edicts since its much more recent founding.

Thomas Jefferson's family, holding identical beliefs to Thomas Jefferson, doesn't still run Virginia (a public institution). Similarly, Wake Forest is no longer run by Baptists.

I just don't know if we want to open that can of worms of not playing schools because of something stupid a person associated to the school said. If we look hard enough, most schools will have skeletons is all I'm saying.

I think it's kind of ironic that you're completely omitting that Wake is no longer Baptist-affiliated and has changed significantly in every step of its growth, while Liberty has embraced and championed a set of social edicts since its much more recent founding.

Whether you like it or not, that is part of Wake's history, always will be. Our mascot is a Deacon for christ's sake.

I just don't know if we want to open that can of worms of not playing schools because of something stupid a person associated to the school said. If we look hard enough, most schools will have skeletons is all I'm saying.

The point is that in Liberty's case these aren't skeletons. These are live bodies.

It's a strange form of white supremacy at Liberty: the head coaches for both football and men's basketball teams are black. Must be tokenism.

Wow, the logic of letting Falwell (and Liberty) off the hook for really problematic stuff because men who died two hundred years ago also had terrible beliefs is simply staggering. Do y'all seriously believe that makes actual sense?

I think people would be happy to see wake play other conservative and even Christian schools that aren't led by terrible human beings. Everyone was happy to play Baylor before we found out they were terrible too.

Liberty's founder blamed gays for 9/11, for starters, and his son has done nothing but prosper on the backs of the mindless fools who followed his father and others like him. So fuck their whole family, and their "school."

Oh, and I support tolerance of ideas and opinions that are different than mine. I do not support tolerance of bullshit, bigotry, and lies.

So... this is really a Tunnels topic that was posted here because mack ties it to sports on social/political grounds? This should clearly be moved.

Wow, the logic of letting Falwell (and Liberty) off the hook for really problematic stuff because men who died two hundred years ago also had terrible beliefs is simply staggering. Do y'all seriously believe that makes actual sense?

I think people would be happy to see wake play other conservative and even Christian schools that aren't led by terrible human beings. Everyone was happy to play Baylor before we found out they were terrible too.

I guess I just think the better path may be to play out the current series and then not enter into any new series going forward.

Whether you like it or not, that is part of Wake's history, always will be. Our mascot is a Deacon for christ's sake.
Our mascot is a *demon* deacon. You think the Baptist convention would be cool with that representation of their clergyman?

*These*, my friends, are strawmen.

Yeah, but we see that thinking all the time now. You know the misdeeds, thoughts, etc. of people who died 200 years being attributed to certain groups of people today.

Our mascot is a *demon* deacon. You think the Baptist convention would be cool with that representation of their clergyman?

*These*, my friends, are strawmen.

Yeah, but does the Deacon costume look demonic in any way????

98026847.0.jpg

I guess I just think the better path may be to play out the current series and then not enter into any new series going forward.
Fine with me. So, if I understand your argument on this thread correctly, it's not that you disagree that Falwell and Liberty's bullshit politics are bad and unbecoming (and perhaps even reflect poorly on the Deacs), it's that you don't think "stupid" internet SJWs should mess with the status quo?

That's fine, and a perfectly reasonable argument, but why disguise that with attempts at quasi-reasoned logical arguments. This rhetorical question is not just aimed at you, liveanddie, but the general application of whataboutism politics recently.

Yeah, but we see that thinking all the time now. You know the misdeeds, thoughts, etc. of people who died 200 years being attributed to certain groups of people today.
They are being attributed to people today precisely because those same people are for the most part silent when people in their own political party literally carry Nazi flags and protest the removal of monuments that represent a despicable period in our country's past.

Fine with me. So, if I understand your argument on this thread correctly, it's not that you disagree that Falwell and Liberty's bullshit politics are bad and unbecoming (and perhaps even reflect poorly on the Deacs), it's that you don't think "stupid" internet SJWs should mess with the status quo?

That's fine, and a perfectly reasonable argument, but why disguise that with attempts at quasi-reasoned logical arguments. This rhetorical question is not just aimed at you, liveanddie, but the general application of whataboutism politics recently.

I don't think they reflect bad on us, do you think any less of the schools Baylor has played this year because they played them? I also don't think it's unreasonable to think that opening a can of worms with Liberty could lead to some unpleasant things coming out about our founding. All you have to do is look at UVa and that there are those (minority) that would like Jefferson's name completely removed from that school. You don't think there's not someone out there that would say, "Wake Forest whose mascot is a Deacon and was founded by Southern Baptists, pulled out of series with Liberty because of it's founder's Southern Baptist's views." Yeah, I know that sounds crazy to anyone with any sense, but sense is on short supply these days. Get a couple easy wins against Liberty and then don't play them any more.

Bigotry, hatred, prejudice come in many forms. None are exempt from these evils. The practice of tolerance only toward those who share our perspectives is in fact the very thing we oppose as prejudice. The path to the triumph of truth is to prove people wrong by our ideas and by our actions, not by exclusion and name-calling. Welcome them, treat them kindly, compete hard and defeat them soundly, be gracious in victory and offer to debate their core values. That is how you overcome evil, not with evil but with good.

This is the most nonsensical concept ever. Using your logic, pedophilia should be tolerated as should white supremacy, rape, murder and Nazism.

Back