• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to eliminate the Liberty University Football series

Again, the issue is not with the "founding" of the schools it is about the current setup of the institution and current presidents.

The appropriate quote from your post above would be "Wake Forest whose mascot is currently a Demon Deacon with current president Nathan hatch, pulled out of a series with Liberty because of its current controversial views and current controversial president Jerry Falwell, Jr."

They are being attributed to people today precisely because those same people are for the most part silent when people in their own political party literally carry Nazi flags and protest the removal of monuments that represent a despicable period in our country's past.

So, every attribute of the most far left nuts of the democratic party should be attributed to every democrat?

Again, the issue is not with the "founding" of the schools it is about the current setup of the institution and current presidents.

The appropriate quote from your post above would be "Wake Forest whose mascot is currently a Demon Deacon with current president Nathan hatch, pulled out of a series with Liberty because of its current controversial views and current controversial president Jerry Falwell, Jr."

That may be the appropriate quote, but that doesn't mean that's the quote that would be used.

In this scenario, Liberty is the far right - they aren't some centrist democrat who would, under your theory, be impugned by the "far left nuts" of the democratic party. Liberty is the "far left nut"

In this scenario, Liberty is the far right - they aren't some centrist democrat who would, under your theory, be impugned by the "far left nuts" of the democratic party. Liberty is the "far left nut"

Okay if that is true, then I agree. However, please provide facts and examples of how Liberty as a university is operated based on the beliefs of the far right nuts, such as white supremacists, etc. and I'll agree with you. As pointed out above, their 2 biggest revenue sports are led by black coaches, I'm sure they have many minority students and do they have a policy not to admit gay students? I'm just not sure the University itself is guilty of what you're saying the founder is. Also, is it fair to the coaches and players of Liberty, many of whom are black to not get the opportunity to play higher profile opponents such as ourselves because of their founder's beliefs?

How many far left college football teams are there anyway ?

I know one thing for sure. I wouldn't try the concessions at Jim Jones University.

It really boils down to I don't want other schools pulling out of games with us because we have an AD that would hire a putz like Jeff [Redacted] okay!

Omitting the fact that Falwell is absurd, Liberty hired disgraced Baylor AD Ian McCaw to be their AD almost immediately after he was forced to resign because of the sexual assault scandal during his tenure at Baylor.

It really boils down to I don't want other schools pulling out of games with us because we have an AD that would hire a putz like Jeff [Redacted] okay!

There is an argument to be made for why we should play Liberty, but the arguments that you are making are absolutely awful.

Omitting the fact that Falwell is absurd, Liberty hired disgraced Baylor AD Ian McCaw to be their AD almost immediately after he was forced to resign because of the sexual assault scandal under his tenure at Baylor.

Now that is a strange for reals, you'd think Liberty would be one of the last schools to want someone with that baggage.

I don't think they reflect bad on us, do you think any less of the schools Baylor has played this year because they played them? I also don't think it's unreasonable to think that opening a can of worms with Liberty could lead to some unpleasant things coming out about our founding. All you have to do is look at UVa and that there are those (minority) that would like Jefferson's name completely removed from that school. You don't think there's not someone out there that would say, "Wake Forest whose mascot is a Deacon and was founded by Southern Baptists, pulled out of series with Liberty because of it's founder's Southern Baptist's views." Yeah, I know that sounds crazy to anyone with any sense, but sense is on short supply these days. Get a couple easy wins against Liberty and then don't play them any more.

No reasonable argument could compare the state of Wake Forest in 1834 to the behavior of Liberty in 2017.

So, every attribute of the most far left nuts of the democratic party should be attributed to every democrat?

The far left nuts of the democratic party want free college, state-sponsored health care, and at their most extreme, wealth redistribution. Furthermore, if you were, for instance, to attribute the purported violence of antifa to the "far left" (which I disagree with, in general, because "antifacism" isn't necessarily a far-left conviction), then I think you'd find most liberals condemning those actions.

My entire point is that many on the right don't condemn the despicable actions of the neo-nazi/white supremacist bros. Or, in a way analogous to the innocuous conversation we're having here, they engage in "whataboutism" to deflect blame from these behaviors.

Now that is a strange for reals, you'd think Liberty would be one of the last schools to want someone with that baggage.

Right, it's almost like the only thing that matters is making a ton of money and winning at all costs, with no regard whatsoever for the students at the University. Pretty antithetical to the point of Liberty in my opinion.

Why? They think women are second class and should defer to their men. It's one of the few places he might fit in.

The far left nuts of the democratic party want free college, state-sponsored health care, and at their most extreme, wealth redistribution. Furthermore, if you were, for instance, to attribute the purported violence of antifa to the "far left" (which I disagree with, in general, because "antifacism" isn't necessarily a far-left conviction), then I think you'd find most liberals condemning those actions. My entire point is that many on the right don't condemn the despicable actions of the neo-nazi/white supremacist bros. Or, in a way analogous to the innocuous conversation we're having here, they engage in "whataboutism" to deflect blame from these behaviors.

WHAT ABOUT ANTIFA OVERTHROWING THE GOVERNMENT???

There is an argument to be made for why we should play Liberty, but the arguments that you are making are absolutely awful.

No they're not. As I stated above please provide example of how Liberty is operated as a university to reflect white supremacy or even homophobic beliefs. 2 biggest sports are led by minority coaches and I can find no evidence that they discriminate against gays in enrollment. If someone can give me evidence that Liberty is the University of Alabama in the 50's and 60's with George Wallace standing outside preaching "segregation now and segregation forever," then I think we should drop the series like a bad habit.

Ivy League. Which of course is covered by MSNBCSN on Friday nights.

LOL, you think the entire Ivy League is "far left"? Have you ever been to Princeton? Or Dartmouth? Penn and Cornell are fairly conservative schools. The latter is a land-grant institution for god's sake!

Back